install hangs on vista ultimate 64

Allen Anderson

install hangs on vista ultimate 64
I just built a new computer with the following specs

asus p35 pro
4 gigs of ram
3.0 c2d
2x wd raptor 150 (in raid 1)
8800 gts graphics card from evga

so I install windows vista ultimate oem (from my developer msdn
subscription) and things go fairly well until it gets back around to the
'completing installation'. It does the completing installation for a while
the screen flickers a bit then a minute later it just freezes.

How do I debug this? How do I find out what it is freezing on and fixing it?

some other notes. I'm not overclocking or using any really exotic hardware.
It's all very standard existing technology.

geezer10

Re: install hangs on vista ultimate 64

freezing could be caused by graphics card, it is quite beefy - go to
evga.com look up your exact model and find out the 12V current
requirements - amps -(you have to scroll down the specs) then check this
against the label on your PSU - you may have to add together two 12V
rails. is the 6 pin auxilary power hooked up on the back of the graphics
card?

another thing to look at is raid - did you insert a raid drivers disk
at the beginning of the install? - try installing with 1 hd

can you get xp or ubuntu to install?

--
geezer10
Allen Anderson

Re: install hangs on vista ultimate 64
hi geezer, thanks for the reply.

yea, I even took another very very non-beef pci-e card ($99 bucks) and tried
that in the system. It still hangs.

also, I load the driver from the abit drivers disk that comes with the
motherboard and it still hangs (i also tried installing with no raid at all).

is there any way for me to find what it's hanging on? i wish microsoft had
included a better way to diagnose install issues instead of forcing a end
user 'friendly?' progress area. it would be very helpful to know where
exaclty im freezing up.

"geezer10" wrote:

> freezing could be caused by graphics card, it is quite beefy - go to
> evga.com look up your exact model and find out the 12V current
> requirements - amps -(you have to scroll down the specs) then check this
> against the label on your PSU - you may have to add together two 12V
> rails. is the 6 pin auxilary power hooked up on the back of the graphics
> card?
>
> another thing to look at is raid - did you insert a raid drivers disk
> at the beginning of the install? - try installing with 1 hd
>
> can you get xp or ubuntu to install?
>

> --
> geezer10

John Barnes

Re: install hangs on vista ultimate 64
Install with 3 or 2 gig of ram. There is a hotfix for this problem.