Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP

Jim

Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP
Planning to build a new system in the near future and would like to run both
Vista & Windows XP Pro in a dual boot configuration. Is it best to install
the OS's on two separate hard drives and what about the application
programs?

Jim

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP
It really makes no difference, except if you install both systems totally
independently, then separate drives and control thru the BIOS will allow you
to boot to either system if a hard drive fails. You can use EasyBCD or
VistaBootPro to give you boot choice thru the Vista Boot Manager also. You
will have to install your programs on each system, but you can direct them
to the same directory. Most programs will function this way, a few will
not. A few will execute from the other partition without installing. Don't
forget that when you boot into XP you lose your Restore Points and shadow
copies in Vista. Restore points has saved many op.

"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Planning to build a new system in the near future and would like to run
> both Vista & Windows XP Pro in a dual boot configuration. Is it best to
> install the OS's on two separate hard drives and what about the
> application programs?

> Jim

Vic Baron

Re: Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP
Want to be sure I understand this, John - booting into XP will lose *Vista*
restore points but will booting into Vista lose *XP's*?

I don't mind losing Vista's while I test but wouldn't want to lose the XP
restore points until I'm ready to switch over.

Thanx,

Vic

> It really makes no difference, except if you install both systems totally
> independently, then separate drives and control thru the BIOS will allow
> you to boot to either system if a hard drive fails. You can use EasyBCD
> or VistaBootPro to give you boot choice thru the Vista Boot Manager also.
> You will have to install your programs on each system, but you can direct
> them to the same directory. Most programs will function this way, a few
> will not. A few will execute from the other partition without installing.
> Don't forget that when you boot into XP you lose your Restore Points and
> shadow copies in Vista. Restore points has saved many op.
>
> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Planning to build a new system in the near future and would like to run
>> both Vista & Windows XP Pro in a dual boot configuration. Is it best to
>> install the OS's on two separate hard drives and what about the
>> application programs?
>>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Jim

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP
No it will not. Vista was written backward compatible, but XP has not and
will not be rewritten to accommodate Vista volume processing.

"Vic Baron" <vgbaron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Want to be sure I understand this, John - booting into XP will lose
> *Vista* restore points but will booting into Vista lose *XP's*?
>
> I don't mind losing Vista's while I test but wouldn't want to lose the XP
> restore points until I'm ready to switch over.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Vic
>

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> It really makes no difference, except if you install both systems totally
>> independently, then separate drives and control thru the BIOS will allow
>> you to boot to either system if a hard drive fails. You can use EasyBCD
>> or VistaBootPro to give you boot choice thru the Vista Boot Manager also.
>> You will have to install your programs on each system, but you can direct
>> them to the same directory. Most programs will function this way, a few
>> will not. A few will execute from the other partition without
>> installing. Don't forget that when you boot into XP you lose your Restore
>> Points and shadow copies in Vista. Restore points has saved many op.
>>
>> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Planning to build a new system in the near future and would like to run
>>> both Vista & Windows XP Pro in a dual boot configuration. Is it best to
>>> install the OS's on two separate hard drives and what about the
>>> application programs?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jim

Bert Kinney

Re: Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP
You may want to read this first Jim.

Dual Booting Windows Vista & Windows XP:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Jim wrote:
> Planning to build a new system in the near future and would like to run both
> Vista & Windows XP Pro in a dual boot configuration. Is it best to install
> the OS's on two separate hard drives and what about the application
> programs?

> Jim

cqui3

Re: Dual Boot Vista & Windows XP