Unexpected Error

Karl

Unexpected Error
Hi,
Last nite I had 33MB of Windows updates downloaded onto my desktop.. Have
just tried to open up computer tonite, and the below error has appeared..

An error has occurred.
Code: 0xC004E002
The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains
inconsistent data....

I built this computer 2 mths ago, have 4 kids, have had continual issues
with Vista, absolutely loathe, thought I would do the right thing and buy a
copy as I don't spend money on computers regularly... Last time in 1997..
Problem is kids have all their projects on computer, can't reload Windows,
and this is the only way I can use it.. Talking on Windowshelp... Just about
had enough of this program, continuously causes errors, spent 4 weeks with
Microsoft phone help, useless, defender errors, restarting, etc.. Would
anyone be able to assist me pls ... Thankyou so much...
Malke

Re: Unexpected Error
Karl wrote:
> Hi,
> Last nite I had 33MB of Windows updates downloaded onto my desktop.. Have
> just tried to open up computer tonite, and the below error has appeared..
>
> An error has occurred.
> Code: 0xC004E002
> The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains
> inconsistent data....
>
> I built this computer 2 mths ago, have 4 kids, have had continual issues
> with Vista, absolutely loathe, thought I would do the right thing and buy a
> copy as I don't spend money on computers regularly... Last time in 1997..
> Problem is kids have all their projects on computer, can't reload Windows,
> and this is the only way I can use it.. Talking on Windowshelp... Just about
> had enough of this program, continuously causes errors, spent 4 weeks with
> Microsoft phone help, useless, defender errors, restarting, etc.. Would
> anyone be able to assist me pls ... Thankyou so much...

I'm sorry you are having such difficulties. The kids should have been
backing up their projects onto external media so in the event of a
catastrophe their data would not be lost. The data can still be
retrieved, but - and I say this not to offend you - doing so may be
beyond your computer skills. I'll give you instructions and you make the
call. Frankly, if the data is important I would retrieve it before doing
anything else.

For the error, boot with your Vista DVD and do the startup repair.

Repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

To retrieve data without being able to boot into Windows:

A. Pull the drive and slave it in a computer running a working install
of XP or Vista. Depending on the target drive's characteristics, you may
need a drive adapter; i.e., laptop-to-IDE or a SATA controller card,
etc. A usb/firewire external drive enclosure works very well, too. Use
the working Windows Explorer to copy the data to the rescue system's
hard drive and then burn the data to cd or dvd. You may need to take
ownership of the files.

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for
an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in
this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check
box.
6. Click OK

B. Often XP or Vista will not boot with a slaved drive that has a
damaged file system. In that case, boot the target computer with either
a Bart's PE or a Linux live cd such as Knoppix and retrieve the data
that way. Here is general information on using Knoppix for this:

You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw
OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an
external usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS). To get
Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your
bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows
files. If you are using the usb thumb drive or the external hard drive,
right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to get its properties and
uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then click on it to open it. Note
that the default mouse action in the window manager used by Knoppix
(KDE) is a single click to open instead of the traditional MS Windows'
double-click. Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to burn the files
to cd/dvd-r's.

http://www.knoppix.net
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - Bart's PE Builder

After this is all sorted, create and follow a backup strategy.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com