Double Trouble with Vista Premium 64 Install

nirrum

Double Trouble with Vista Premium 64 Install

Hello all

Before my tale of woe I feel I should give you my spec.

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz *

*2x XFX Geforce 8600 GT 512mb in SLi mode*

*Creative X-fi extreme audio card*

*3072mb DDR 400 (2x 512) & (2x 1gb) RAM*

*ASUS A8N32 - SLi Deluxe Mobo.*

*550 watt PSU.*

Ok,

Firstly I installed Vista 64 Premium over my previous OS, which was XP
Home edition.
I then replaced my 7600GT cards with XFX 8600 GT cards.

My first challenge I faced was that Vista did not recognise my creative
sound card was on board. Despite downloading the Vista driver from
Creative site, the driver wont install because it cannot find the
device.

Is there a driver I can manaully load through device manager?

(I have switched to onboard sound temporarily, Realtek 97 until I can
resolve this.)

Secondly, Vista is only recognising 1198mb of RAM. I have switched
the Dimms around but still no joy. Do you think there is a confliction
with the 512mb of DDR3 memory on each of the XFX cards? (a stab in the
dark guess.)

The bootup still recognises 3072mb of RAM.

Should I have formatted HD before installing Vista?

I really dont want to return to XP with my tail between my legs, so any
help you can offer would be very much appreciated!!

--
nirrum
Mark

Re: Double Trouble with Vista Premium 64 Install
I'm guessing here as I get ready to make the move to x64.
I have almost the exact same setup. And, looking ahead, I was going to give
the following a try:
From RUN:
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
This is supposed to allow unsigned drivers to be installed in x64
environment.
(Yes, your driver is signed, but something isn't installing right.)

Then run the setup (driver) utility as administrator.
It might get my sound to a point of recognition if I can get the driver
installed without any blocking.
Since the driver is signed, I can re-enable integrity checks when I'm done.

Regarding the memory shortage, is your BIOS setup to move memory mapping and
the most current revision?

"nirrum" <nirrum.2vfi60@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hello all
>
> Before my tale of woe I feel I should give you my spec.
>
> *AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz *
>
> *2x XFX Geforce 8600 GT 512mb in SLi mode*
>
> *Creative X-fi extreme audio card*
>
> *3072mb DDR 400 (2x 512) & (2x 1gb) RAM*
>
> *ASUS A8N32 - SLi Deluxe Mobo.*
>
> *550 watt PSU.*
>
> Ok,
>
> Firstly I installed Vista 64 Premium over my previous OS, which was XP
> Home edition.
> I then replaced my 7600GT cards with XFX 8600 GT cards.
>
> My first challenge I faced was that Vista did not recognise my creative
> sound card was on board. Despite downloading the Vista driver from
> Creative site, the driver wont install because it cannot find the
> device.
>
> Is there a driver I can manaully load through device manager?
>
> (I have switched to onboard sound temporarily, Realtek 97 until I can
> resolve this.)
>
> Secondly, Vista is only recognising 1198mb of RAM. I have switched
> the Dimms around but still no joy. Do you think there is a confliction
> with the 512mb of DDR3 memory on each of the XFX cards? (a stab in the
> dark guess.)
>
> The bootup still recognises 3072mb of RAM.
>
> Should I have formatted HD before installing Vista?
>
> I really dont want to return to XP with my tail between my legs, so any
> help you can offer would be very much appreciated!!
>

> --
> nirrum

nirrum

Re: Double Trouble with Vista Premium 64 Install

Hi Mark

Sorry for being a dullard but System BIOS is almost complete hocus
pocus to me!
I can do basic stuff.... but memory mapping? wots dat then?!!? Can
you give me directions where it is in BIOS as I have had a quick look
and can see nothing obvious.

Cheers!

--
nirrum
Mark

Re: Double Trouble with Vista Premium 64 Install
BIOS Updates, start here:
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...2-SLI%20Deluxe

Read and heed all instructions!
Start with the BIOS directory:
Download the correct version. (Betas are not typically recommended, so
this means you want Version 1205.) If you already have version 1205, just
move on down to the memory remapping instructions.

Now go to the BIOS Utilities directory:
You will quicly notice there is not a version for Windows Vista!
This means you cannot flash the BIOS from Windows.
(Your manual will state that ASUS Update can run from windows. It was
not written for Vista.)

Easiest method:
Instead, copy the file you downloaded to a USB Flash drive and stick it
in one of the rear slots on your machine.
Additionally, burn this file to a CD (not DVD.) More on this later.
Reboot and press <Alt>+<F2> when you normally pressed <Del> to enter BIOS
This starts the EZ Flash utility. (See section 4.14 of manual. If you
don't see this, do not proceed. Instead follow your manual's section 4.1 for
creating a boot floppy. If you don't have a floppy drive, get one for $25.
Then, use the AFUDOS utility.)
When prompted for a drive, select C: drive which is actually the USB
flash stick.
When offered the option to save a copy of your current BIOS. Do so.
Then, you will select your new BIOS file and select Flash.

Do not do this operation if it's cloudy.
Should you lose power during this 10 second operation, your BIOS will
be corrupt and you're machine worthless until you restore the BIOS. Your BIOS
has an internal check that detects a corrupt BIOS and will seek the CD drive
for a restoration file. Let's hope you don't have to go there.

Otherwise, you have just updated your BIOS, and like 99.9% of everyone
who does this, you won't see anything different other than the text on the
screen when you reboot indicating BIOS version 1205.

Now, back to the ASUS page:
Go to the Manuals directory and download the appropriate language
manual for your computer. (I'll assume English.)
The first thing I noticed is NForce4. This, based on other posts and
Google searches results in the need to move memory mapping of the BIOS to see
all your RAM.
Onward to Chapter 4.
Find section 4.4.4: CPU Configuration
Boot to BIOS. Select Advanced. Select CPU Configuration. Select
Memory Configuration. Set Hardware Memory Hole to Enable.

Hope that fixes you up!