activation on volume lic. media

OM

activation on volume lic. media
I am very confused about the activation on volume lic. media of Vista.
Hope someone can help me out.

I read many documents about Vista activation and they all said Vista
installation requires activation for volume license media. But when I
talked to the Microsoft customer service department (both technical and
licensing), some of them said activation is not required for Volume lic.
media. I was confused.

The reason I want to find out this information is that I would like to
know what would happen if I restore a Vista image (created from a volume
license media)on a PC which has its copy of oem Vista activated.
Microsoft allows reimaging of operating system using volume licensing
media. This works for XP volume licensing media because it doesn't
require activation. But if Vista volume license media require
activation, does that mean I need to purchase a volume license for this
"new installation".

Thanks
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: activation on volume lic. media
Volume Activation 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb335291.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"OM" wrote:

[...]

I read through the document, but it didn't mention my situation.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Volume Activation 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb335291.aspx

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: activation on volume lic. media
All Windows Vista VL installations require a VL license
and product activation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Volume Activation 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb335291.aspx

Rick Rogers

Re: activation on volume lic. media
Hi,

All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
should be able to glean more information on this from your volume license
provider or partner.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I am very confused about the activation on volume lic. media of Vista. Hope
>someone can help me out.
>
> I read many documents about Vista activation and they all said Vista
> installation requires activation for volume license media. But when I
> talked to the Microsoft customer service department (both technical and
> licensing), some of them said activation is not required for Volume lic.
> media. I was confused.
>
> The reason I want to find out this information is that I would like to
> know what would happen if I restore a Vista image (created from a volume
> license media)on a PC which has its copy of oem Vista activated. Microsoft
> allows reimaging of operating system using volume licensing media. This
> works for XP volume licensing media because it doesn't require activation.
> But if Vista volume license media require activation, does that mean I
> need to purchase a volume license for this "new installation".
>
> Thanks

OM

Rick Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
> appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
> license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
> should be able to glean more information on this from your volume
> license provider or partner.

Thanks,

I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many
organizations purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their
own images using the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem
because the VL media doesn't require activation, but what happen to
Vista. This is a very common scenario, but it is very difficult to find
the information.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: activation on volume lic. media
You cannot use an OEM license with VL media.
An OEM license is only valid for use with OEM
installation media.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"OM" wrote:

Thanks,

I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many
organizations purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their
own images using the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem
because the VL media doesn't require activation, but what happen to
Vista. This is a very common scenario, but it is very difficult to find
the information.
Rick Rogers

Re: activation on volume lic. media
Hi,

After deploying your VL image, you activate it using the one of the methods
I mentioned previously. Beyond that I am not sure I understand what you're
asking.

--

> Rick Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
>> appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
>> license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
>> should be able to glean more information on this from your volume license
>> provider or partner.
>>

> Thanks,
>
> I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
> this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
> license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
> image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many organizations
> purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their own images using
> the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem because the VL media
> doesn't require activation, but what happen to Vista. This is a very
> common scenario, but it is very difficult to find the information.

Mick Murphy

Re: activation on volume lic. media
Volume licencing has to be re-activated every 6 months with Vista.
So, if you have "borrowed" a copy, you are wasting your time!

"OM" wrote:

> Rick Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
> > appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
> > license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
> > should be able to glean more information on this from your volume
> > license provider or partner.
> >

> Thanks,
>
> I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
> this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
> license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
> image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many
> organizations purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their
> own images using the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem
> because the VL media doesn't require activation, but what happen to
> Vista. This is a very common scenario, but it is very difficult to find
> the information.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: activation on volume lic. media
Hello OM,
If I am reading your question correctly I think the answer it's answered in
the reimaging document on this link.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r.../volbrief.mspx
in particular this section:
Reimaging Eligibility