Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers

Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
pending.....
I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to it.
My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing drivers
for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without any
hassles.
However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with my
hardware!!! ????
Did I upgrade or downgrade?
Please help me out to find a solution.
Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced it
has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
either.

Thank you in advance.
Gino.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
Hi,

Device drivers are still provided by the device manufacturer. While there
are many in Vista, not every manufacturer supplied them. When you attach a
device, Vista checks to see if it has an appropriate drive in its database.
If it doesn't, it prompts the user for one from the manufacturer. XP Pro, by
the way, would not have had an iPod driver or one for the camera in most
instances. These are normally added by the software installation the user
does when first connecting the device. This process has not changed for
Vista, vendor supplied software should be installed before attaching the
device.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

" ..." <lets@have.org> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
> pending.....
> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to
> it.
> My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing
> drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without
> any hassles.
> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with
> my hardware!!! ????
> Did I upgrade or downgrade?
> Please help me out to find a solution.
> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced it
> has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
> either.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Gino.

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
I remember connecting my Ipod to XP Pro without installing Itunes to charge
it and XP Pro automatically found the driviers and installed the Ipod. I
never had to install any software for Sony camera(DSC-P10: does not require
software installation), all of my thumbdrives and usb memory devices were
installed without drivers.
The reason I don't use the software is because I do not want extra programs
that come with the device.
So, No, I haven't installed any software before connecting any of my
hardware.
Gino

> Hi,
>
> Device drivers are still provided by the device manufacturer. While there
> are many in Vista, not every manufacturer supplied them. When you attach a
> device, Vista checks to see if it has an appropriate drive in its
> database. If it doesn't, it prompts the user for one from the
> manufacturer. XP Pro, by the way, would not have had an iPod driver or one
> for the camera in most instances. These are normally added by the software
> installation the user does when first connecting the device. This process
> has not changed for Vista, vendor supplied software should be installed
> before attaching the device.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> " ..." <lets@have.org> wrote in message
>> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
>> pending.....
>> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to
>> it.
>> My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing
>> drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without
>> any hassles.
>> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with
>> my hardware!!! ????
>> Did I upgrade or downgrade?
>> Please help me out to find a solution.
>> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced
>> it has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
>> either.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Gino.

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
Hi, Gino
I think you are saying that for new devices, when possible, WXP would give
you generic access to the device even though it was not always 'the best
possible'. And you were happy with it.

Rick is saying that Vista gives you NO access unless it thinks it is the
best possible.

I think you are right - there is something about your installation that is
not giving you the generic access Vista is capable of. My cheapo Compaq
Vista Basic has recognized and given me access to all the USB devices I've
plugged into it, including DVD writer, thumb drives, compact flash card & SD
card readers, and floppy drive without my having to install any drivers.

-Paul Randall

>I remember connecting my Ipod to XP Pro without installing Itunes to charge
>it and XP Pro automatically found the driviers and installed the Ipod. I
>never had to install any software for Sony camera(DSC-P10: does not require
>software installation), all of my thumbdrives and usb memory devices were
>installed without drivers.
> The reason I don't use the software is because I do not want extra
> programs that come with the device.
> So, No, I haven't installed any software before connecting any of my
> hardware.
> Gino

>> Hi,
>>
>> Device drivers are still provided by the device manufacturer. While there
>> are many in Vista, not every manufacturer supplied them. When you attach
>> a device, Vista checks to see if it has an appropriate drive in its
>> database. If it doesn't, it prompts the user for one from the
>> manufacturer. XP Pro, by the way, would not have had an iPod driver or
>> one for the camera in most instances. These are normally added by the
>> software installation the user does when first connecting the device.
>> This process has not changed for Vista, vendor supplied software should
>> be installed before attaching the device.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> " ..." <lets@have.org> wrote in message
>>> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
>>> pending.....
>>> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to
>>> it.
>>> My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing
>>> drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer)
>>> without any hassles.
>>> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with
>>> my hardware!!! ????
>>> Did I upgrade or downgrade?
>>> Please help me out to find a solution.
>>> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced
>>> it has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>> Gino.

Steve K.

... wrote:
> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
> pending.....
> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting
> to it. My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically
> installing drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera,
> Printer) without any hassles.

That's because XP worked great if you kept your system clean and didn't
surf to malicious sites. (Vista is just as susceptible to such things.)

> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came
> with my hardware!!! ????
> Did I upgrade or downgrade?

You basically downgraded to a slower, bloated OS with more bugs than an
ant colony. If XP worked wel lfro you stick with it and don't bother
with Vista.

> Please help me out to find a solution.

Return Vista and get your money back and stay with XP. Rushing into
Vista now is just a bad idea.

> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm
> convinced it has something to do with the OS since other hardware
> isn't installing either.

You'd think iPods would work just fine, considering how _advanced_ Vista
is _supposed_ to be. Yet it's one problem after another with this OS.

You may also want to read this:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
Gino

Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers already
in the XP installation.

Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
compatible" drivers.

It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of these
drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.

The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to check for
Vista Compatible drivers.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

" ..." <lets@have.org> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
> pending.....
> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to
> it.
> My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing
> drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without
> any hassles.
> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with
> my hardware!!! ????
> Did I upgrade or downgrade?
> Please help me out to find a solution.
> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced it
> has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
> either.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Gino.

Saran

Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
> Gino
>
> Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers
> already in the XP installation.
>
> Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
> compatible" drivers.
>
> It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of
> these drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.
>
> The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
> manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to
> check for Vista Compatible drivers.

It's inexcusable that such an -advanced-Os cannot deal with such things
which should be trivial for it. Or maybe it's not so advanced?

-saran

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
You're blaming the wrong entity on this one. While Microsoft does write and
provide some drivers for the OS, the majority are done by the device
manufacturer. If they failed to supply drivers in time to have them
certified and included, then that isn't Microsoft's fault, it's theirs.
You'd be surprised at the number of device makers that wait until the OS is
out before bothering to write and release drivers (if they do at all), even
though the design specifications have been in place for several years (and
Vista's most certainly were).

--

"Saran" <none@nospam> wrote in message
> Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
>> Gino
>>
>> Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers
>> already in the XP installation.
>>
>> Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
>> compatible" drivers.
>>
>> It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of
>> these drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.
>>
>> The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
>> manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to
>> check for Vista Compatible drivers.

> It's inexcusable that such an -advanced-Os cannot deal with such things
> which should be trivial for it. Or maybe it's not so advanced?
>
> -saran

Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
There AREN'T any drivers for Ipods. If there are then please point to a url.
You're stating that Vista is new to getting the drivers from manufacturers.
I was hoping some generic drivers for a thumb drive or camera or printer
would be enough to get me started.
FYI: I've checked the manufacturer's websites and all state that Vista
should recognize my hardware automatically, and I should download the
"extra" software that I don't desire if I wanted.
Thanks again.
Gino

> Gino
>
> Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers
> already in the XP installation.
>
> Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
> compatible" drivers.
>
> It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of these
> drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.
>
> The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
> manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to check
> for Vista Compatible drivers.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> " ..." <lets@have.org> wrote in message
>> Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
>> pending.....
>> I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to
>> it.
>> My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing
>> drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without
>> any hassles.
>> However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with
>> my hardware!!! ????
>> Did I upgrade or downgrade?
>> Please help me out to find a solution.
>> Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced
>> it has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
>> either.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Gino.

PaulB

RE: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
When Windows asks to provide a driver select browse my computer and point to
the windows folder. Sometimes the normal driver seach doesn't work.
--
Paul