Help - Home Network Printer Setup

User66

Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Our home network runs with three PCs, all with XP Pro. The home server has a common HP LaserJet 1022
printer. I have no problem to print from other PCs, except the new Laptop, which runs on Windows
Vista Home Premium. I was able to setup the network, to transfer files from the Laptop to other
PCs, but having problem to access the network printer from the Laptop Vista operating system.

While "Connecting to HP LaserJet 1022 on Server", I get this -
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please
restart the spooler or restart the machine."

I am not familiar how to start or set the spooler service on the Laptop running Vista or Home Server
PC, running XP Pro.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Hi,

Click start, type services.msc and hit <enter>. Scroll down to the Print
Spooler service and single click on it. Options to start, stop, or restart
it will be on the left. If that fails to aid in getting the printer added,
double click the service and go to the recovery tab. Set the first failure
action to restart the service, and on the general tab make sure the startup
type is set to automatic.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Our home network runs with three PCs, all with XP Pro. The home server has
> a common HP LaserJet 1022 printer. I have no problem to print from other
> PCs, except the new Laptop, which runs on Windows Vista Home Premium. I
> was able to setup the network, to transfer files from the Laptop to other
> PCs, but having problem to access the network printer from the Laptop
> Vista operating system.
>
> While "Connecting to HP LaserJet 1022 on Server", I get this -
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service is
> not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."
>
> I am not familiar how to start or set the spooler service on the Laptop
> running Vista or Home Server PC, running XP Pro.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

User66

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
I have gone through and set "services.msc" on each PC with printers, that are running either XP Pro
or Vista, but still I am unable to connect the printers from the Laptop running with Vista (this
laptop used to run XP Pro, and had no trouble to print using other PC's printers). Do I need to do
something else ?

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eFXtC$%233HHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Click start, type services.msc and hit <enter>. Scroll down to the Print Spooler service and
> single click on it. Options to start, stop, or restart it will be on the left. If that fails to
> aid in getting the printer added, double click the service and go to the recovery tab. Set the
> first failure action to restart the service, and on the general tab make sure the startup type is
> set to automatic.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uUDwJF73HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Our home network runs with three PCs, all with XP Pro. The home server has a common HP LaserJet
>> 1022 printer. I have no problem to print from other PCs, except the new Laptop, which runs on
>> Windows Vista Home Premium. I was able to setup the network, to transfer files from the Laptop
>> to other PCs, but having problem to access the network printer from the Laptop Vista operating
>> system.
>>
>> While "Connecting to HP LaserJet 1022 on Server", I get this -
>> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please
>> restart the spooler or restart the machine."
>>
>> I am not familiar how to start or set the spooler service on the Laptop running Vista or Home
>> Server PC, running XP Pro.
>>
>> Any help will be highly appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Hi,

You should only be working on the Vista machine, you already know the others
are working. On the laptop, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry
in the start menu and select 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, run
"net start spooler". You should see a message that it has already been
started. If this is the case, then problem is not with the print spooler
service, but rather with the printer driver being installed. Are you using
one from the manufacturer?

--

>I have gone through and set "services.msc" on each PC with printers, that
>are running either XP Pro or Vista, but still I am unable to connect the
>printers from the Laptop running with Vista (this laptop used to run XP
>Pro, and had no trouble to print using other PC's printers). Do I need to
>do something else ?
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Click start, type services.msc and hit <enter>. Scroll down to the Print
>> Spooler service and single click on it. Options to start, stop, or
>> restart it will be on the left. If that fails to aid in getting the
>> printer added, double click the service and go to the recovery tab. Set
>> the first failure action to restart the service, and on the general tab
>> make sure the startup type is set to automatic.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Our home network runs with three PCs, all with XP Pro. The home server
>>> has a common HP LaserJet 1022 printer. I have no problem to print from
>>> other PCs, except the new Laptop, which runs on Windows Vista Home
>>> Premium. I was able to setup the network, to transfer files from the
>>> Laptop to other PCs, but having problem to access the network printer
>>> from the Laptop Vista operating system.
>>>
>>> While "Connecting to HP LaserJet 1022 on Server", I get this -
>>> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service
>>> is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."
>>>
>>> I am not familiar how to start or set the spooler service on the Laptop
>>> running Vista or Home Server PC, running XP Pro.
>>>
>>> Any help will be highly appreciated.

User66

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
I have just gone through as you described below for the Laptop. (Of-course, Print Spooler output was
slightly different in WinXP machines. I did not change anything in the XP machines, since my Laptop
only is miss-behaving). I thought may be something is not properly working in XP machines.

I am using HP LaserJet 1020 printer and HP driver downloaded from HP web-page just a few days ago.

I am somewhat........ Well, what next?

Help

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OtYMh$E4HHA.5880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> You should only be working on the Vista machine, you already know the others are working. On the
> laptop, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry in the start menu and select 'run as
> administrator'. From the prompt, run "net start spooler". You should see a message that it has
> already been started. If this is the case, then problem is not with the print spooler service, but
> rather with the printer driver being installed. Are you using one from the manufacturer?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have gone through and set "services.msc" on each PC with printers, that are running either XP
>>Pro or Vista, but still I am unable to connect the printers from the Laptop running with Vista
>>(this laptop used to run XP Pro, and had no trouble to print using other PC's printers). Do I
>>need to do something else ?
>>
>> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eFXtC$%233HHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Click start, type services.msc and hit <enter>. Scroll down to the Print Spooler service and
>>> single click on it. Options to start, stop, or restart it will be on the left. If that fails to
>>> aid in getting the printer added, double click the service and go to the recovery tab. Set the
>>> first failure action to restart the service, and on the general tab make sure the startup type
>>> is set to automatic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Hi,

Can you describe the steps you are using to connect to the printer?

--

>I have just gone through as you described below for the Laptop. (Of-course,
>Print Spooler output was slightly different in WinXP machines. I did not
>change anything in the XP machines, since my Laptop only is miss-behaving).
>I thought may be something is not properly working in XP machines.
>
> I am using HP LaserJet 1020 printer and HP driver downloaded from HP
> web-page just a few days ago.
>
> I am somewhat........ Well, what next?
>
> Help

>> Hi,
>>
>> You should only be working on the Vista machine, you already know the
>> others are working. On the laptop, click start and type CMD. Right click
>> the entry in the start menu and select 'run as administrator'. From the
>> prompt, run "net start spooler". You should see a message that it has
>> already been started. If this is the case, then problem is not with the
>> print spooler service, but rather with the printer driver being
>> installed. Are you using one from the manufacturer?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have gone through and set "services.msc" on each PC with printers, that
>>>are running either XP Pro or Vista, but still I am unable to connect the
>>>printers from the Laptop running with Vista (this laptop used to run XP
>>>Pro, and had no trouble to print using other PC's printers). Do I need
>>>to do something else ?
>>>
>>> Any help will be highly appreciated.

User66

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
steps to connect to one of the printer

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Printer in "Hardware and Sound" group
Click File
Click Add Printer, and the "Add Printer" page shows up
Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

I find all the available printers
I select one of them, then click Next

It says "Connecting to HPLJ-1020 on xxxx"

After a minute of time, I get
"Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"
"A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.
Windows will notify you if a solution is available".

I have no choice but to "Close" it.

Hope I have described the steps clearly.
Thanks for helping me.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23zvLVOG4HHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Can you describe the steps you are using to connect to the printer?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have just gone through as you described below for the Laptop. (Of-course,
>>Print Spooler output was slightly different in WinXP machines. I did not
>>change anything in the XP machines, since my Laptop only is miss-behaving).
>>I thought may be something is not properly working in XP machines.
>>
>> I am using HP LaserJet 1020 printer and HP driver downloaded from HP
>> web-page just a few days ago.
>>
>> I am somewhat........ Well, what next?
>>
>> Help
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You should only be working on the Vista machine, you already know the
>>> others are working. On the laptop, click start and type CMD. Right click
>>> the entry in the start menu and select 'run as administrator'. From the
>>> prompt, run "net start spooler". You should see a message that it has
>>> already been started. If this is the case, then problem is not with the
>>> print spooler service, but rather with the printer driver being
>>> installed. Are you using one from the manufacturer?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Hi,

Try this instead:

> Click Start
> Click Control Panel
> Click Printer in "Hardware and Sound" group
> Click File
> Click Add Printer, and the "Add Printer" page shows up
> Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"
>
> I find all the available printers
> I select one of them, then click Next

Don't select one, instead click the option at the bottom to connect to a
printer not listed. Then choose to "select a shared printer by name" and
type in the path as \\<computer_name>\<printer_name>, then finish.

--

> steps to connect to one of the printer
>
> It says "Connecting to HPLJ-1020 on xxxx"
>
> After a minute of time, I get
> "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"
> "A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.
> Windows will notify you if a solution is available".
>
> I have no choice but to "Close" it.
>
> Hope I have described the steps clearly.
> Thanks for helping me.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you describe the steps you are using to connect to the printer?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have just gone through as you described below for the Laptop.
>>>(Of-course, Print Spooler output was slightly different in WinXP
>>>machines. I did not change anything in the XP machines, since my Laptop
>>>only is miss-behaving). I thought may be something is not properly
>>>working in XP machines.
>>>
>>> I am using HP LaserJet 1020 printer and HP driver downloaded from HP
>>> web-page just a few days ago.
>>>
>>> I am somewhat........ Well, what next?
>>>
>>> Help

User66

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Just did as you listed. But this is what I get -

"Windows Printer Installation" page, says

Connecting to HPLJ-1022 on xxxx"

Then displays -

"Connect to printer" page, says

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler
service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the
machine."

What next ? Is it time to give up ?

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uSEBeqL4HHA.4184@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Try this instead:
>
>> Click Start
>> Click Control Panel
>> Click Printer in "Hardware and Sound" group
>> Click File
>> Click Add Printer, and the "Add Printer" page shows up
>> Click "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"
>>
>> I find all the available printers
>> I select one of them, then click Next

> Don't select one, instead click the option at the bottom to connect to a
> printer not listed. Then choose to "select a shared printer by name" and
> type in the path as \\<computer_name>\<printer_name>, then finish.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> steps to connect to one of the printer
>>
>> It says "Connecting to HPLJ-1020 on xxxx"
>>
>> After a minute of time, I get
>> "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"
>> "A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.
>> Windows will notify you if a solution is available".
>>
>> I have no choice but to "Close" it.
>>
>> Hope I have described the steps clearly.
>> Thanks for helping me.
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can you describe the steps you are using to connect to the printer?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Home Network Printer Setup
Hi,

On the print spooler service, did you set the first failure to restart the
service as I mentioned earlier?

We can try to add it as a local printer by creating a port. From the
Printers folder, click add printer, then select local. Use the option to
create a port, then switch it to TCP/IP, click next. Set the device type to
TCP, now type in the \\computername in the host field and call the port
something like hp printer. Leave the query line checked, click next and wait
while it's detected. See if this allows it to connect.