Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...

Michael Gorton

Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
Hello,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. After a long review I have found out
that I have a motherboard and processor problem. I want to build another
computer and take my current SATA drive with Vista on it and plug it into my
new computer. I want to make sure that that will be possible.

Also, since my new will be a dual core 64 bit, can I then upgrade to the 64
version instead of the current 32?

Please advise me on what is best to do in both situations.

Thanks !
Tom Lake

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
"Michael Gorton" <Michael Gorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. After a long review I have found out
> that I have a motherboard and processor problem. I want to build another
> computer and take my current SATA drive with Vista on it and plug it into
> my
> new computer. I want to make sure that that will be possible.
>
> Also, since my new will be a dual core 64 bit, can I then upgrade to the
> 64
> version instead of the current 32?

No problem with the SATA drive. You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit
and retain your settings, programs, etc. You'll have to do a clean install.
All your old data should still be there but you'll have to reinstall all
programs.

Tom Lake

Paul Randall

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
Hi, Tom
Maybe I don't understand the concept of 'clean install'. I thought that
meant a reformat. How can the data not be lost?

-Paul Randall

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Gorton" <Michael Gorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:96242361-532B-4AED-9C48-81C0B677865B@microsoft.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. After a long review I have found
>> out
>> that I have a motherboard and processor problem. I want to build another
>> computer and take my current SATA drive with Vista on it and plug it into
>> my
>> new computer. I want to make sure that that will be possible.
>>
>> Also, since my new will be a dual core 64 bit, can I then upgrade to the
>> 64
>> version instead of the current 32?

> No problem with the SATA drive. You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit
> and retain your settings, programs, etc. You'll have to do a clean
> install.
> All your old data should still be there but you'll have to reinstall all
> programs.
>
> Tom Lake

John Barnes

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
You may have many driver conflicts moving the system from one computer to
another and trying to boot Vista.
You will have to do a custom (clean) install, but if you don't format and
install to the same partition, you will have your data in a .old folder. Do
make sure you can find Vista64 drivers for all your hardware (internal and
external) and the same for software (many programs will not run on 64-bit os
if they have low level processes - i.e. a\v programs, print programs).

"Michael Gorton" <Michael Gorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. After a long review I have found out
> that I have a motherboard and processor problem. I want to build another
> computer and take my current SATA drive with Vista on it and plug it into
> my
> new computer. I want to make sure that that will be possible.
>
> Also, since my new will be a dual core 64 bit, can I then upgrade to the
> 64
> version instead of the current 32?
>
> Please advise me on what is best to do in both situations.
>
> Thanks !

peter

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
At this stage of the Vista game I would not take anything for granted.With
XP doing what you want (just moving the HD to new machine)would require a
"repair" install to correct driver issues.With Vista that also should be
possible...providing your new MOBO has Vista drivers (?)
As for the 64 bit Vista...well that requires a NEW Installation....and
different drivers again....does your Hardware have 64bit Vista drivers
available??? Does your Software work on 64 bit...or are there 64bit versions
of your software available..mainly Anti Virus...Most other programs will
run.
Personally I would stick with 32bit Vista...more drivers more software
compatibility.I would also save my work on that SATA drive.(backup to a
CD/DVD)..find my program CD's and start from scratch...that is a new fresh
install with a format....then install the MOBO Vista drivers...Then the
Video Card Vista drivers....etc etc.When all the hardware works and I have
it setup the way I want...then its time to install the software/programs
Good Luck ...whichever way you decide to go..!!
peter

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Tom
> Maybe I don't understand the concept of 'clean install'. I thought that
> meant a reformat. How can the data not be lost?

Some people use it to mean that you install the new OS over the top of
the old. It doesn't need a reformat but you don't retain your settings,
either.
Just specify the old Windows directory when installing

Tom Lake

Paul Randall

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
How do you distinguish between a truely_clean install on a freshly formatted
partition from a dirty_clean install over some old system?

Seems like a perfect way to make sure nobody knows what anyone else is
talking about. Job security for guru wanabees.

> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Tom
>> Maybe I don't understand the concept of 'clean install'. I thought that
>> meant a reformat. How can the data not be lost?

> Some people use it to mean that you install the new OS over the top of
> the old. It doesn't need a reformat but you don't retain your settings,
> either.
> Just specify the old Windows directory when installing
>
> Tom Lake

John Barnes

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
Paul,
The install process of Vista is completely different from prior versions.
Prior versions installed the system at the files and folders level. Vista
lays down an image of the system. If installed to the same partition as a
previous version of windows, that version is rolled up into a .old file
before a clean install is laid down. Previous versions could not be
installed to the same partition without duplication of files among other
problems.

> How do you distinguish between a truely_clean install on a freshly
> formatted partition from a dirty_clean install over some old system?
>
> Seems like a perfect way to make sure nobody knows what anyone else is
> talking about. Job security for guru wanabees.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Tom
>>> Maybe I don't understand the concept of 'clean install'. I thought that
>>> meant a reformat. How can the data not be lost?

>> Some people use it to mean that you install the new OS over the top of
>> the old. It doesn't need a reformat but you don't retain your settings,
>> either.
>> Just specify the old Windows directory when installing
>>
>> Tom Lake

Paul Randall

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
But there still has to be a word or phrase that distinguishes between
1) a truly_clean install to a freshly formatted partition which cannot
include anything from a past installation because there is no past
installation
and
2) a dirty_clean install that includes programs, settings and data from the

Or maybe I'm wrong. I really would like to understand what's happening with
various 'clean' installs and why people would call them all 'clean'.

-Paul Randall

> Paul,
> The install process of Vista is completely different from prior versions.
> Prior versions installed the system at the files and folders level. Vista
> lays down an image of the system. If installed to the same partition as
> a previous version of windows, that version is rolled up into a .old file
> before a clean install is laid down. Previous versions could not be
> installed to the same partition without duplication of files among other
> problems.
>
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> How do you distinguish between a truely_clean install on a freshly
>> formatted partition from a dirty_clean install over some old system?
>>
>> Seems like a perfect way to make sure nobody knows what anyone else is
>> talking about. Job security for guru wanabees.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Some people use it to mean that you install the new OS over the top of
>>> the old. It doesn't need a reformat but you don't retain your settings,
>>> either.
>>> Just specify the old Windows directory when installing
>>>
>>> Tom Lake

John Barnes

Re: Moving SATA drive from one computer to another...
#2 doesn't exist. That would be an upgrade. A custom install puts down a
clean image of Vista and rolls any previous os into a segregated folder. It
will leave boot files behind if another os is on the system.