need help with new pc

alisha

need help with new pc
my mother just bought a new labtop and is trying to set it up to use it
wireless. She has windows vista on it and I am not sure how to set it up with
vista, I have XP. How do you set it up with vista?
Thank you
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: need help with new pc
Using the Vista PC, go to Start > Help and Support and
type the word Wireless in the Search box for helpful topics.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"alisha" wrote:

my mother just bought a new labtop and is trying to set it up to use it
wireless. She has windows vista on it and I am not sure how to set it up with
vista, I have XP. How do you set it up with vista?
Thank you
alisha

Re: need help with new pc
that would work if I had her labtop. but she is in another state and not very
good with computers so that would not help with the problem Im having with
helping her get her labtop wireless so she can pick up a wireless service in
here apt building. Thanks though.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using the Vista PC, go to Start > Help and Support and
> type the word Wireless in the Search box for helpful topics.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "alisha" wrote:
>
> my mother just bought a new labtop and is trying to set it up to use it
> wireless. She has windows vista on it and I am not sure how to set it up with
> vista, I have XP. How do you set it up with vista?
> Thank you

Paul Randall

Re: need help with new pc
If it were my mother, here is what I would do.
Goole the Microsoft Vista newsgroups GROUPS.google.com, using various search
strings like tutorial wireless
Find one or two that you understand and that you think she will be able to
understand. Pictures are good!
Print them out and put notes on them if you think you need notes.
Call your mother and have her go to those URLs and print them out.
Make sure you know how to tell her which button on the laptop enables WiFi,
if the laptop has that feature.
Call your mother and walk her through the setup tutorial.

-Paul Randall

"alisha" <alisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> that would work if I had her labtop. but she is in another state and not
> very
> good with computers so that would not help with the problem Im having with
> helping her get her labtop wireless so she can pick up a wireless service
> in
> here apt building. Thanks though.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Using the Vista PC, go to Start > Help and Support and
>> type the word Wireless in the Search box for helpful topics.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "alisha" wrote:
>>
>> my mother just bought a new labtop and is trying to set it up to use it
>> wireless. She has windows vista on it and I am not sure how to set it up
>> with
>> vista, I have XP. How do you set it up with vista?
>> Thank you

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

Re: need help with new pc
On Aug 15, 6:38 pm, alisha <ali...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> that would work if I had her labtop. but she is in another state and not very
> good with computers so that would not help with the problem Im having with
> helping her get her labtop wireless so she can pick up a wireless service in
> here apt building. Thanks though.
>
> > "alisha" wrote:

> > my mother just bought a new labtop and is trying to set it up to use it
> > wireless. She has windows vista on it and I am not sure how to set it up with
> > vista, I have XP. How do you set it up with vista?

So the situation is that you're technical.

Your mother like most people, is not.

You don't know windows vista back to front to the extent that you can
tell her over the phone 'cos you don't have that OS. But you could
figure it out if you were in front of the computer..

Wireless Routers double up as wired routers. This also lets one
configure them. So, she could connect Wired.

Then with VNC, you could view her computer, and hence, set up a
wireless connection.. You can prob have the same computer connected
wired and wirelessly, to the router.

There are ways to use VNC to control her computer, and instead of her
doing the port forwarding, you do it. (called a reverse connection or
something). RealVNC can do this. lifehacker had a good article on it.
In this setup, they still call the computer being controlled "The
Server". But your VNC viewer actually listens, and the so-called
server, does a "reverse connection" and connects to the viewer.
There is also a thing called PCHelpWare, that makes things easy for
the end user, shifting difficulty to the geek. It can do like a
reverse connection, but instead of the end user going through the
options to make the VNC Server do a reverse connection to your comp.
You can use a method - I think mentioned on lifehacker too - to make
an EXE that is a VNC server configured to make a reverse connection to
your ip.
So you set up your VNC Listener on your end, set up the port
forwarding on your router. Send her the PCHelpWare VNC server EXE ,
she runs it, and hey presto. Useful if used many times, or if dealing
with idiot end users all the time. If your ip isn't static / it
changes, you can configure a txt such that when the EXE is made, it'll
connect to your hostname rather than your ip, and there are guys like
dyndns or no-ip who can give you a permanent hostname and then you get
software on your comp, to tell them of any change of ip.. or some
routers can be set to do that. I've never done that though, i've got
a static ip.

Another option is what anybody does when they can't set up a wired or
wireless connection.
You call your router people, and your ISP people.

The only time you'll get thrown between them is if you have a bad or
wrong cable, or a bad network card or something . But you should be
able to get logged on by calling them.

They mostly deal with idiot users, since they are the majourity. The
issue may be the price of the call, and holding on the line. You just
have to give her the telephone numbers! These guys are techies that
DO know it back to front to the extent of setting it up.

alisha

Re: need help with new pc
I guess maybe Im not asking the question right. I have a laptop, which has
windows xp on it. When I first got it, I went into the control panel and
pulled up the wireless internet wizard that walked me through the steps. I
tried having her do the same thing but we cannot find the wireless internet
wizard on hers.
I would like to have hers set up like mine. I connect to the internet off of
someone around my area, meaning I am not paying for internet.
Does anyone know using windows vista where at she could find the wireless
internet set up on her laptop?

"jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk" wrote:

> [...]

> dyndns or no-ip who can give you a permanent hostname and then you get
> software on your comp, to tell them of any change of ip.. or some
> routers can be set to do that. I've never done that though, i've got
> a static ip.
>

> Another option is what anybody does when they can't set up a wired or
> wireless connection.
> You call your router people, and your ISP people.
>
> The only time you'll get thrown between them is if you have a bad or
> wrong cable, or a bad network card or something . But you should be
> able to get logged on by calling them.
>
> They mostly deal with idiot users, since they are the majourity. The
> issue may be the price of the call, and holding on the line. You just
> have to give her the telephone numbers! These guys are techies that
> DO know it back to front to the extent of setting it up.

Newtechie

Re: need help with new pc
If I'm not mistaken there should an icon in the control panel called Network
Center. Tell her to look there.

> [...]

>> dyndns or no-ip who can give you a permanent hostname and then you get
>> software on your comp, to tell them of any change of ip.. or some
>> routers can be set to do that. I've never done that though, i've got
>> a static ip.
>>

>> Another option is what anybody does when they can't set up a wired or
>> wireless connection.
>> You call your router people, and your ISP people.
>>
>> The only time you'll get thrown between them is if you have a bad or
>> wrong cable, or a bad network card or something . But you should be
>> able to get logged on by calling them.
>>
>> They mostly deal with idiot users, since they are the majourity. The
>> issue may be the price of the call, and holding on the line. You just
>> have to give her the telephone numbers! These guys are techies that
>> DO know it back to front to the extent of setting it up.

Also, here's a link that you should probably look at and be able to walk her
through the steps. Hope this helps.

newtechie

On 15 Aug, 21:02, alisha <ali...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I guess maybe Im not asking the question right. I have a laptop, which has
> windows xp on it. When I first got it, I went into the control panel and
> pulled up the wireless internet wizard that walked me through the steps. I
> tried having her do the same thing but we cannot find the wireless internet
> wizard on hers.
> I would like to have hers set up like mine. I connect to the internet off of
> someone around my area, meaning I am not paying for internet.
> Does anyone know using windows vista where at she could find the wireless
> internet set up on her laptop?

If you're using a wizard, and haven't even considered another option,
then you're not a techie. If you do get it set up for her, it'll just
be luck

I don't use windows vista, but you're posting in the wrong newsgroup
anyway. This is called
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
it's for people installing or setting up windows vista.

try
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...l/topics?hl=en

If you don't even have vista installed, then that won't be of use..
And if you can't use something like VNC, to view your mum's comp, and
at least see Vista, then again, no use..

There are easier ways than VNC to access your mum's computer remotely.
I suggest you do that, then you can play with Vista, ask questions
here, get things sorted out.

meddle with these sites - logmein,
https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en
or
MyIVO <-- another site, google it.

These websites are very good and easy. You don't need any port
forwarding.

note- pchelpware has a similar thing, you can connect with a
"repeater", so both the 'viewer' and the so-called server , make an
outgoing connection. But it's not nicely written. A bit annoying to
set up.

Those websites are very easy.

small dump of a little research
http://lifehacker.com/software/remot...ort-208062.php
http://lifehacker.com/software/vnc/g...ick-198532.php
logmein, myivo, maybe showmypc , maybe crossloop. I tried logmein and
myivo
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...e-connections/

as you can see, i'm not just writing for you, there are other techies
reading. But my point to you is to go to the LogMeIn website, and then
you can remotely control your mum's computer.
You can then play with Vista, try to set it up on hers.
Then you can ask questions, in the right newsgroup. Or in this thread,
since you started it already.

As a techie, I can tell you that you can't really print some manual
off the internet that will guide any end user to doing something.
There are always issues. Often, a single thing on the internet is not
that comprehensive, and if it was, then an end user would have more
trouble following it anyway.

So I suggest you connect to your mum's computer, and go from there.
trying to do it. Experimenting. Asking questions.

Rather than emailing her a manual that you can't test yourself.
Otherwise what'll you say when she asks you a question.

alisha

Re: need help with new pc
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
I was actually able to locate a website called Techwarelabs.com, it does a
comparison of windows XP and Vista and got me the correct info I needed. This
website was great if anyone else is looking for so help with Vista and XP.

Thanks for all the help!!!!