Adding my vista laptop to my shared printer

tink123177

Adding my vista laptop to my shared printer
Ok I am sure this has been asked about a hundred times and answered just as
many but I am really not technical. I am hating my vista laptop. I have
one other laptop using xp and a desktop using xp all are linked to my home
network including my vista laptop however, I am not able to add my Lexmark
printer to the vista but I can print wirelessly from the xp laptop. Any
suggestions would be awesome. I am ready to chuck the vista program.
Malke

Re: Adding my vista laptop to my shared printer
tink123177 wrote:
> Ok I am sure this has been asked about a hundred times and answered just as
> many but I am really not technical. I am hating my vista laptop. I have
> one other laptop using xp and a desktop using xp all are linked to my home
> network including my vista laptop however, I am not able to add my Lexmark
> printer to the vista but I can print wirelessly from the xp laptop. Any
> suggestions would be awesome. I am ready to chuck the vista program.

You need to set up your local area network on the Vista machine. Then
(since you've apparently already got the printer shared) you need to go
to Lexmark's website and get drivers for Vista. Install the drivers on
your Vista laptop. Whether the Lexmark installation routine sees the
printer or you must use the Add Printer function in Control Panel
depends on how Lexmark wrote those drivers.

Here is a link to help you with the Vista networking:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
tink123177

Re: Adding my vista laptop to my shared printer
I am going to try it. Thanks so much for the link. I really appreciate the
non techie explanation.

"Malke" wrote:

> tink123177 wrote:
> > Ok I am sure this has been asked about a hundred times and answered just as
> > many but I am really not technical. I am hating my vista laptop. I have
> > one other laptop using xp and a desktop using xp all are linked to my home
> > network including my vista laptop however, I am not able to add my Lexmark
> > printer to the vista but I can print wirelessly from the xp laptop. Any
> > suggestions would be awesome. I am ready to chuck the vista program.

> You need to set up your local area network on the Vista machine. Then
> (since you've apparently already got the printer shared) you need to go
> to Lexmark's website and get drivers for Vista. Install the drivers on
> your Vista laptop. Whether the Lexmark installation routine sees the
> printer or you must use the Add Printer function in Control Panel
> depends on how Lexmark wrote those drivers.
>
> Here is a link to help you with the Vista networking:

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rick Rogers

Re: Adding my vista laptop to my shared printer
Hi,

If it's shared properly (and I'm assuming it is because the XP laptop can
access it), then click Start\Printers\Add a printer\Add a network printer.
If it is not detected, then use the option to add one that is not listed,
then click "select a shared printer by name". Type in the path to it as
\\Computer_name\Printer_name to finish.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/