Activating vista after replaceing motherboard and processor

Cattledog

Activating vista after replaceing motherboard and processor
I lost both the processor and motherboard. Purchase a new motherbd and
processor and vista wouldnt boot. Said there was a virus. Reinstall Vista on
top of old one, didnt work. It claims that I still have one active. How do I
stop that one and get it on my new motherbd and processor? Thanks for help if
possible.
Mick Murphy

RE: Activating vista after replaceing motherboard and processor
Set your computer to boot from the CD/DVD Drive. Have your DVD Vista disk in
the drive when you reboot, delete existing partition to remove existing Vista
OS, format the drive, reinstall Vista. Just read, then follow, the prompts
from the beginning.

You might have trouble if it is an OEM system, as the Vista disk dies with
the computer! Anyway, reactivate, BY PHONE, and sort it out with Microsoft

Mick Murphy-QLD

"Cattledog" wrote:

> I lost both the processor and motherboard. Purchase a new motherbd and
> processor and vista wouldnt boot. Said there was a virus. Reinstall Vista on
> top of old one, didnt work. It claims that I still have one active. How do I
> stop that one and get it on my new motherbd and processor? Thanks for help if
> possible.

Rick Rogers

Re: Activating vista after replaceing motherboard and processor
Hi,

You may need to first enter the system BIOS and disable boot-time protection
(basically prevents writing to the boot sector and thus preventing
installation). You can't do a repair install as you could with XP and
earlier versions, you'll need to do a fresh install to a new folder.
Activation will likely require a phone call.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org