Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

No internet after swapping Vista to XP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
gplantam@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
No internet after swapping Vista to XP
I just got a new HP Compaq Presario Desktop 3800+ because I was told
that I can wipe out the Vista OS and install XP. Well, I used Parted
Magic to erase the drive, and used the original XP install disk from
my old computer. XP runs okay, but I can't get an internet connection.
Using the same machine, I can connect to the internet fine using Vista
or PC Linux. I have it set to autodetect DHCP, but I don't know much
more about computers beyond that. What do I need to get an internet
connection on XP?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Ghostrider
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet after swapping Vista to XP

gplantam@gmail.com wrote:

> I just got a new HP Compaq Presario Desktop 3800+ because I was told
> that I can wipe out the Vista OS and install XP. Well, I used Parted
> Magic to erase the drive, and used the original XP install disk from
> my old computer. XP runs okay, but I can't get an internet connection.
> Using the same machine, I can connect to the internet fine using Vista
> or PC Linux. I have it set to autodetect DHCP, but I don't know much
> more about computers beyond that. What do I need to get an internet
> connection on XP?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>


The Windows XP installation cdrom might not have the drivers for the
NIC. These are typically installed from an utility cdrom that the OEM
provides. Look for it. The manufacturers' driver files are typically
needed for the chipset, NIC, display adapter, sound card, etc.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
gplantam@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet after swapping Vista to XP
> The Windows XP installation cdrom might not have the drivers for the
> NIC. These are typically installed from an utility cdrom that the OEM
> provides. Look for it. The manufacturers' driver files are typically
> needed for the chipset, NIC, display adapter, sound card, etc.


Thanks, but I have no idea where to look for it. No disks came with
the new PC. On-line? Within the new or old PC's hard drive? On the old
PC's install disk?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet after swapping Vista to XP
gplantam@gmail.com wrote:
>> The Windows XP installation cdrom might not have the drivers for the
>> NIC. These are typically installed from an utility cdrom that the OEM
>> provides. Look for it. The manufacturers' driver files are typically
>> needed for the chipset, NIC, display adapter, sound card, etc.

>
> Thanks, but I have no idea where to look for it. No disks came with
> the new PC. On-line? Within the new or old PC's hard drive? On the old
> PC's install disk?
>


Go to www.hp.com. Click on "Support and Drivers". Put in your computer
model name "Presario 3800" and follow the links to get all the drivers
for Windows XP. Download drivers for your motherboard, sound, network,
audio, and any other laptop-specific software that may be available.
Install the drivers.

Obviously you'll need to do this from a computer with a working Internet
connection and either a CD/DVD burner or have a USB thumbdrive with
enough capacity to transfer the files.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2007
gplantam@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet after swapping Vista to XP
Thanks, Malke.

I went to the HP site, but the XP modem driver is not available. I
chatted with 2 HP tech reps. One advised trying a driver from
http://www.conexant.com/support/files/HSFp_WinXP.zip
The other tech rep advised to try the disk supplied by the (Verizon)
modem supplier.
We'll see. It appears that they are deliberately making it difficult
to NOT use Vista.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2007
Paul Smith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet after swapping Vista to XP
<gplantam@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1187183100.102551.162280@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

> We'll see. It appears that they are deliberately making it difficult
> to NOT use Vista.


Where's the business sense in supporting Windows XP on hardware they're
selling with Windows Vista?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
swapping motherboard with OEM Vista Premium Griffinspc microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 9 08-22-2007 21:40
Court finds vote-swapping over the Internet is legal Paul Security News 0 08-08-2007 18:30
Swapping over Licences and versions rogers_m microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 05-03-2007 13:50
Swapping XP and Vista on a Laptop Barry microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 02-28-2007 22:18
Battlefield 2: Swapping extreme Arne-Kolja Bachstein microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 16 02-28-2007 14:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120