The Path to 64-bit is rocky

Mark

The Path to 64-bit is rocky
I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.

Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
(WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.

Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
for a 64-bit version of Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark" wrote:

I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.

Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
(WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.

Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.
Mark

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
Hmm...
It does not state this on the order page for Alternate Media
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx) and MS
was happy to take my $10 for an Alternate Media disk and send it to me as a
64-bit upgrade when I entered my Product Key from the Home Premium upgrade
disk.

So, if I read your comment correctly, MS is a thief and my Alternate Media
disk is a "full version" that won't install because I have an Upgrade Product
Key, or it may install as an upgrade (requiring a "clean" install since no
32-bit stuff can remain.)

~~~~
Now, back to the question I asked:
Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?

When I asked one MS rep if this can be done, she stated "No." That led me to
review the FAQ website for the Anytime Upgrade where it clearly states that
it should, I called again. This time I was told, "Yes."

The presumption in the question is that I am upgrading from Home Premium
64-bit to Ultimate 64-bit.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
> you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
> of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
> Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
> for a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Mark" wrote:
>
> I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
> Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.
>
> Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
> I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
> originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
> (WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.
>
> Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
> I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
You can use use your Vista upgrade license only if you
follow these instructions:

Upgrading a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system:

If you purchase a 64-bit upgrade version of Windows Vista with the
intention of installing on a computer that is running a 32-bit operating system,
you must install Windows Vista by starting the computer from the 64-bit
Vista installation DVD and performing a "custom installation".

See the following:

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
> you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
> of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
> Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
> for a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Mark" wrote:
>
> I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
> Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.
>
> Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
> I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
> originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
> (WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.
>
> Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
> I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Mark

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
PS.
Using the reference you like to point to so much:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

It clearly states, 64-bit Vista can be used as an upgrade:
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a
32-bit version of Windows Vista

Method 1
Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
Method 2
1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation
method that is listed earlier in this article.

Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a
32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000
Please note the following:
You can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license.

Please read your references.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
> you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
> of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
> Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
> for a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Mark" wrote:
>
> I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
> Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.
>
> Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
> I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
> originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
> (WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.
>
> Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
> I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Mark

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
My apologies for the other post. Bad timing as you beat me to putting it
together. Obviously, you have read it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You can use use your Vista upgrade license only if you
> follow these instructions:
>
> Upgrading a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system:
>
> If you purchase a 64-bit upgrade version of Windows Vista with the
> intention of installing on a computer that is running a 32-bit operating system,
> you must install Windows Vista by starting the computer from the 64-bit
> Vista installation DVD and performing a "custom installation".
>
> See the following:
>
> Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Mark" wrote:
>
> Hmm...
> It does not state this on the order page for Alternate Media
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx) and MS
> was happy to take my $10 for an Alternate Media disk and send it to me as a
> 64-bit upgrade when I entered my Product Key from the Home Premium upgrade
> disk.
>
> So, if I read your comment correctly, MS is a thief and my Alternate Media
> disk is a "full version" that won't install because I have an Upgrade Product
> Key, or it may install as an upgrade (requiring a "clean" install since no
> 32-bit stuff can remain.)
>
> ~~~~
> Now, back to the question I asked:
> Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
>
> When I asked one MS rep if this can be done, she stated "No." That led me to
> review the FAQ website for the Anytime Upgrade where it clearly states that
> it should, I called again. This time I was told, "Yes."
>
> The presumption in the question is that I am upgrading from Home Premium
> 64-bit to Ultimate 64-bit.
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
> > you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
> > of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
> > Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
> > for a 64-bit version of Vista.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> > I originally bought the Home Premium upgrade.
> > Later, I used Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate.
> >
> > Now, I'm trying to move to 64-bit operation.
> > I've bought the Alternate Media from MS for the Home Premium upgrade I
> > originally bought, but was told today (by MS) that Windows Anytime Upgrade
> > (WAU) cannot be upgraded to install the 64-bit version.
> >
> > Has anyone tried their WAU license to get 64-bit Ultimate?
> > I thought the same license (Product Key) was used for either 32-bit or 64-bit.

DevilsPGD

Re: The Path to 64-bit is rocky
In message <#EAEy4p3HHA.5724@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Since the 64-bit version of Vista is only available as a "full version",
>you would have had to purchase a 32-bit "full version"
>of Vista in order to install a 64-bit version of Vista.
>Upgrade versions (licenses) of Vista do not qualify as a license
>for a 64-bit version of Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795 would seem to disagree. Please
read before opening your proverbial mouth.

--
Americans couldn't be any more self-absorbed if they were made from equal
parts water and papertowel.