Vista Going Wireless

Lorin

Vista Going Wireless
I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home wireless
network.
Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius to
configure?
The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
combinations and permutations.
(really poor design).
Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
And several to select from please.
Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review sites?
I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
network is soooo messed up.
Thank you!
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Going Wireless
Hi,

This may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Lorin" <Lorin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home wireless
> network.
> Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
> Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius to
> configure?
> The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
> combinations and permutations.
> (really poor design).
> Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
> And several to select from please.
> Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review
> sites?
> I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
> network is soooo messed up.
> Thank you!

cqui3

Re: Vista Going Wireless
The router not being con nected to the computer, there should not be any
compatibility problem.
Your Ethernet controller (in the computer case, or USB type) has to be
compatible.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi,
>
> This may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Lorin" <Lorin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home wireless
>> network.
>> Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
>> Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius to
>> configure?
>> The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
>> combinations and permutations.
>> (really poor design).
>> Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
>> And several to select from please.
>> Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review
>> sites?
>> I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
>> network is soooo messed up.
>> Thank you!

Lorin

RE: Vista Going Wireless
Bought a new LinkSys Vista compatible WRT54G Wireless Router.
Spent 3 hours on the net (hardwire) with LinkSys tech support.
They could not get the wireless to work.
The laptop seed the router (wirelessly)
but will not connect.
changed channels.
changed WEP security level.
rebooted everything.
NOTHING!
This is a home setup.

So where are the gurus?
Brand new laptop.
Sees the router (cannot connect). all bars on.
sees other neighborhood routers. (some with four bars or 1 bar).

I will try a hotspot tomorrow and I bet it works.

Is the signal strength too high?
What can interfere?
There is nothing obvious near it transmitting.
Is there a better newsgroup?

"Lorin" wrote:

> I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home wireless
> network.
> Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
> Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius to
> configure?
> The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
> combinations and permutations.
> (really poor design).
> Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
> And several to select from please.
> Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review sites?
> I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
> network is soooo messed up.
> Thank you!

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Going Wireless
Hi,

Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and paste the output into a
response.

--

> Bought a new LinkSys Vista compatible WRT54G Wireless Router.
> Spent 3 hours on the net (hardwire) with LinkSys tech support.
> They could not get the wireless to work.
> The laptop seed the router (wirelessly)
> but will not connect.
> changed channels.
> changed WEP security level.
> rebooted everything.
> NOTHING!
> This is a home setup.
>
> So where are the gurus?
> Brand new laptop.
> Sees the router (cannot connect). all bars on.
> sees other neighborhood routers. (some with four bars or 1 bar).
>
> I will try a hotspot tomorrow and I bet it works.
>
> Is the signal strength too high?
> What can interfere?
> There is nothing obvious near it transmitting.
> Is there a better newsgroup?
>

> "Lorin" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home
>> wireless
>> network.
>> Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
>> Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius to
>> configure?
>> The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
>> combinations and permutations.
>> (really poor design).
>> Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
>> And several to select from please.
>> Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review
>> sites?
>> I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
>> network is soooo messed up.
>> Thank you!

Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista Going Wireless

> Is there a better newsgroup?

Maybe, alt.internet.wireless?
Charles Donaghe

Re: Vista Going Wireless
Rick,
A question a little off topic, and it has been a long time since my dos
days, however. When I was siting up my new gateway the other day, I tried
running ipconfig /all and the dos screen came up but disappeared before I
could even begin to read it.
In short I don't remeber how to pause the output so that it stays on my
screen..

Thanks,
Charlies

> Hi,
>
> Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and paste the output into a
> response.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Lorin" <Lorin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Bought a new LinkSys Vista compatible WRT54G Wireless Router.
>> Spent 3 hours on the net (hardwire) with LinkSys tech support.
>> They could not get the wireless to work.
>> The laptop seed the router (wirelessly)
>> but will not connect.
>> changed channels.
>> changed WEP security level.
>> rebooted everything.
>> NOTHING!
>> This is a home setup.
>>
>> So where are the gurus?
>> Brand new laptop.
>> Sees the router (cannot connect). all bars on.
>> sees other neighborhood routers. (some with four bars or 1 bar).
>>
>> I will try a hotspot tomorrow and I bet it works.
>>
>> Is the signal strength too high?
>> What can interfere?
>> There is nothing obvious near it transmitting.
>> Is there a better newsgroup?
>>

>> "Lorin" wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to set up VIsta Home Premium Compaq laptop on my home
>>> wireless
>>> network.
>>> Apparently my wireless router does not support it.
>>> Are there any plug and play wireless routers that do not take a genius
>>> configure?
>>> The one I have has so many options that I could spend weeks trying all
>>> combinations and permutations.
>>> (really poor design).
>>> Something other than Netgear (left a bad taste in my mouth).
>>> And several to select from please.
>>> Are there any Vista Certified Wireless routers discussed on any review
>>> sites?
>>> I am using another networked computer away from home, because my home
>>> network is soooo messed up.
>>> Thank you!

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Going Wireless
Hi Charles,

You need to open the command prompt first, then run ipconfig /all. Do so by
typing in CMD and selecting the menu entry.