DirectX 9 Files

Mark

DirectX 9 Files
Don't throw those old games out yet!

Some of my really old games (you know, 2006 and later) such as Heroes of
Might and Magic 5 won't run on Vista because there are missing DirectX 9
files.

Attempting to install the files is prevented by Vista even if I run as
administrator. (I guess it thinks it's more up to date with DirectX 10.) But
DirectX 10 is not backwards compatible.

Yes, I attempted to run in Compatibility Mode, but the files were still
missing that the game seeks. When I installed the files manually, the games
work. Not only do they work, they work better than on XP. (Wonders will never
cease.)

Was it intentional not to include the DirectX 9 files with 99% (or more) of
all programs out there still using it? Or, did I miss something in the
installation of Vista?
dean-dean

Re: DirectX 9 Files
Have you tried the latest End-User Runtime for DirectX? From here:

This will check your DirectX files for components that might be needed to
run your games.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US...DirectX10.aspx

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Don't throw those old games out yet!
>
> Some of my really old games (you know, 2006 and later) such as Heroes of
> Might and Magic 5 won't run on Vista because there are missing DirectX 9
> files.
>
> Attempting to install the files is prevented by Vista even if I run as
> administrator. (I guess it thinks it's more up to date with DirectX 10.)
> But
> DirectX 10 is not backwards compatible.
>
> Yes, I attempted to run in Compatibility Mode, but the files were still
> missing that the game seeks. When I installed the files manually, the
> games
> work. Not only do they work, they work better than on XP. (Wonders will
> never
> cease.)
>

> Was it intentional not to include the DirectX 9 files with 99% (or more)
> of
> all programs out there still using it? Or, did I miss something in the
> installation of Vista?

Mark

Re: DirectX 9 Files
I found the components somewhere else after using the file you reference below.
The file below will run, but does not install anything that didn't already
exist with Vista's install.

The components needed are probably wrapped in the package, but the games
were specifically seeking the components by name. (And, they were not there.)

Thanks!