Lost Windows Update, Control Panel and 3D Pane following re-activa

Cam

Lost Windows Update, Control Panel and 3D Pane following re-activa
So here's what happened.

Following a nVidia video driver update on my Vista 32 Ulitimate
(Full-install OEM version) PC I noticed I had to re-activate Windows within 3
days. OK, easy enough, but why? I've never had this issue with XP. I call
for telephone activation and go through all the automated prompts followed by
speaking to a support engineer. I read back all the key digits and he
responded with a few questions and then had me type in the activation key
numbers. Activation Successful! I also checked and passed the Windows
Genuine Advantage test.

OK. We ended the call and I subsequently discovered my Control Panel no
longer opens, the Windows Update application no longer launches, and the
Windows Flip 3D no longer works. I tried to perform a system restore but all
the restore points (dating back to February) are gone. The only one available
is at a time following the reactivation of Vista.

Have any of you folks come across this issue before?

Cheers
brink

Re: Lost Windows Update, Control Panel and 3D Pane following re-activa

Cam;419130 Wrote:
> So here's what happened.
>
> Following a nVidia video driver update on my Vista 32 Ulitimate
> (Full-install OEM version) PC I noticed I had to re-activate Windows
> within 3
> days. OK, easy enough, but why? I've never had this issue with XP. I
> call
> for telephone activation and go through all the automated prompts
> followed by
> speaking to a support engineer. I read back all the key digits and he
> responded with a few questions and then had me type in the activation
> key
> numbers. Activation Successful! I also checked and passed the Windows
> Genuine Advantage test.
>
> OK. We ended the call and I subsequently discovered my Control Panel no
> longer opens, the Windows Update application no longer launches, and
> the
> Windows Flip 3D no longer works. I tried to perform a system restore
> but all
> the restore points (dating back to February) are gone. The only one
> available
> is at a time following the reactivation of Vista.
>
> Have any of you folks come across this issue before?
>
> Cheers

Hi Cam,

You might give this a go.

'Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control
Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us)

Shawn

--
brink