Vista Premium upgrade

stevem

Vista Premium upgrade
I have an HP Media Center PC. Friday the hard drive decided it would not
boot... which didn't cause me a great amount of concern as I had been
planning to replace it with a larger one. Hard disk has now been replaced
with a new one and I went and got Vista Premium upgrade. I was under the
impression this was legal, as the computer had XP Media Center installed.
Tech at Best Buy said I would have to put the Media Centers key to prove it
was a legal copy. I've just tried the Vista activation and indeed it does
tell me this product can be used only for an upgrade, not a clean install.

What do I have to do to get this to work?
dean-dean

Re: Vista Premium upgrade
One solution would be to install XP Media Center, and then upgrade, starting
the Install DVD from the XP desktop, that is, after having booted into XP.

"stevem" <stevem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Media Center PC. Friday the hard drive decided it would not
> boot... which didn't cause me a great amount of concern as I had been
> planning to replace it with a larger one. Hard disk has now been replaced
> with a new one and I went and got Vista Premium upgrade. I was under the
> impression this was legal, as the computer had XP Media Center installed.
> Tech at Best Buy said I would have to put the Media Centers key to prove
> it
> was a legal copy. I've just tried the Vista activation and indeed it does
> tell me this product can be used only for an upgrade, not a clean install.
>
> What do I have to do to get this to work?

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Premium upgrade

"stevem" <stevem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Media Center PC. Friday the hard drive decided it would not
> boot... which didn't cause me a great amount of concern as I had been
> planning to replace it with a larger one. Hard disk has now been replaced
> with a new one and I went and got Vista Premium upgrade. I was under the
> impression this was legal, as the computer had XP Media Center installed.
> Tech at Best Buy said I would have to put the Media Centers key to prove
> it
> was a legal copy. I've just tried the Vista activation and indeed it does
> tell me this product can be used only for an upgrade, not a clean install.
>
> What do I have to do to get this to work?

Vista upgrades are designed to be installed over a previously installed
qualifying product, but there might be an intentional or unintentional
design flaw that can be taken advantage of.
You might try:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
I've heard that this works, and some sources say that it may not activate
properly, or that it may not properly reactivate in the future, but I have
no confirmation one way or the other.

-Paul Randall