New computer... old monitor

Daryl

New computer... old monitor
Hi,

My sister in law has just ordered a new PC with Vista but is planning to
keep her old (CRT) monitor.

I would imagine that everything would go smoothly upon receipt of the new PC
but there's one scenario which I'm hoping won't happen:

What if the new computer has been setup to run at a resolution or refresh
rate which her old monitor won't accept? I believe that the new PC comes
with a widescreen LCD as standard (which she's opted out of).

So, if this IS the case, how is it possible to change the resolution during
bootup if she can't get a picture to be able to go into the appropriate menu
after bootup?

I'm the one who'll be setting everything up for her so I guess I ought to
have all bases covered!

TIA,

Kroma

Richard G. Harper

Re: New computer... old monitor
In most cases monitors are a plug and play device, meaning that the new
monitor should be detected and installed at a display size and frequency
that should work. If not, there's always VGA mode - hit the F8 key before
Vista starts, select VGA mode from the startup menu, then while in VGA mode
turn down the screen size, color depth and refresh rate as low as they will
go. Restart the system normally and you should be able to adjust size and
refresh rate from there.

"Daryl" <darylbarberNOSPAMPLEASE@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My sister in law has just ordered a new PC with Vista but is planning to
> keep her old (CRT) monitor.
>
> I would imagine that everything would go smoothly upon receipt of the new
> PC but there's one scenario which I'm hoping won't happen:
>
> What if the new computer has been setup to run at a resolution or refresh
> rate which her old monitor won't accept? I believe that the new PC comes
> with a widescreen LCD as standard (which she's opted out of).
>
> So, if this IS the case, how is it possible to change the resolution
> during bootup if she can't get a picture to be able to go into the
> appropriate menu after bootup?
>
> I'm the one who'll be setting everything up for her so I guess I ought to
> have all bases covered!
>
> TIA,
>
> Kroma

Chad Harris

Re: New computer... old monitor
Hi Daryl--

You didn't state the model of the old CRT monitor, but I wouldn't anticipate
any significant trouble. You can adjust the resolution to the requirements
of the old monitor, and you can easily find out the optimal resolution and
refresh rate, etc. for your sister-in-law's CRT by googling or Live
searching with the model number of the monitor. That should give you the
info of the optimal settings for that old CRT.

You can't change the resolution until you're in Vista, but you should not be
deprived of the image on the monitor and then you can right click
desktop>personalize>Display Settings>adjust resolution if need be>advanced
button>adjust refresh rate if need be and depending on the video card with
the PC you may want to adjust the monitor or other tabs that will be
provided by the video card.

I've put Vista on a PC and hooked up some pretty old monitors before I
bought my new ones, and there were no problems. Of course a good monitor
(to me) and a good video card does make quite a bit of difference but I
don't see a problem for you.

Good luck,

CH

"Daryl" <darylbarberNOSPAMPLEASE@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My sister in law has just ordered a new PC with Vista but is planning to
> keep her old (CRT) monitor.
>
> I would imagine that everything would go smoothly upon receipt of the new
> PC but there's one scenario which I'm hoping won't happen:
>
> What if the new computer has been setup to run at a resolution or refresh
> rate which her old monitor won't accept? I believe that the new PC comes
> with a widescreen LCD as standard (which she's opted out of).
>
> So, if this IS the case, how is it possible to change the resolution
> during bootup if she can't get a picture to be able to go into the
> appropriate menu after bootup?
>
> I'm the one who'll be setting everything up for her so I guess I ought to
> have all bases covered!
>
> TIA,
>
> Kroma

Daryl

Re: New computer... old monitor
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't know the details of the old monitor - from my
previous visits I think it was 'TINY' monitor - a rebranded model for the UK
supplier, bought 9 years ago.

I've just replaced my old CRT (bought around the same time) for a TFT and
before swapping I changed the resolution and refresh rates 'just in case'
but I thought there may be a few problems the other way round (keeping the
monitor and changing the computer).

I'll keep the VGA trick up my sleeve in case I run into any problems.

Thanks again,

Daryl