Yet another Dual Boot Question

John Anderson

Yet another Dual Boot Question
My system is currently using XP Pro.

If I want to have a dual boot system and install a second hard drive,

then install Vista Ultimate on the new hard drive,

then use the VistaBootPro

Which OS do I allow the system to boot to?

Which OS will have the VistaBoot Pro program installed?

Will one OS mess up the other?

When I switch from one OS to the other is it like rebooting?

If I ie: boot to Vista, then switch to XP, would I then be able to run
those XP programs that are incompatible with Vista?

Will switching back and forth affect a pre-existing network and router?

--
John Anderson
peter

Re: Yet another Dual Boot Question
Here are a few answers and a suggestion.........
If you install the "normal" dual boot way when you boot a screen will ask
you which OS you wish to boot to...you pick one....any one...thats the OS
that you will be working in when the system starts.No you cannot switch to
another OS from the other OS...if you startup in Vista you are in Vista
until you reboot and startup with XP.Your Network/Router will need to be
configured under each OS seperately..but a lot of that is automatic with the
exception of security/passwords/etc.
Mail needs to be configured under each mail program.
Any programs that you wish to run under both OS need to be installed under
both OS...if you wish program ABC to run under XP you need to install it
while your running XP and the same under Vista
VistaBootPro is a nice program...but it is still a program and as such
things can go wrong....like when you decide you dont want XP anymore.
Might I suggest that you disconnect the drive that XP is on and then install
Vista as a new install onto that new HD.There will be no boot files
changed...there will be no software "dual Boot". The way to access/Boot from
either drive is to access the BIOS and set that particular drive as 1st Boot
or 2nd boot if your CD/DVD is set to 1st.Some BIOS let you chose which drive
to boot from during the boot process by means of the F12 ...by pushing F12 a
screen would show with the HDs listed and you pick which one to boot
from.Check to see if your BIOS has that option.
I did this for awhile with XP and Vista till I decided to just stick with XP
on this machine and use Vista on the other.It was easy at that point to just
format Vista off the drive without having to go to the trouble of editing
the whole boot process.
As for programs I would suggest 2 partitions on each drive...one for the OS
and one for the programs for that particular OS...eg new HD 2 partitions D
and E
D for Vista E for all the programs that you want to use under Vista.....
Be sure to turn off System Restore under XP for the drive that Vista is on
and Vice Versa.
Good Luck
peter
"John Anderson" <jwanderson_98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My system is currently using XP Pro.
>
> If I want to have a dual boot system and install a second hard drive,
>
> then install Vista Ultimate on the new hard drive,
>
> then use the VistaBootPro
>
> Which OS do I allow the system to boot to?
>
> Which OS will have the VistaBoot Pro program installed?
>
> Will one OS mess up the other?
>
> When I switch from one OS to the other is it like rebooting?
>
> If I ie: boot to Vista, then switch to XP, would I then be able to run
> those XP programs that are incompatible with Vista?
>
> Will switching back and forth affect a pre-existing network and router?
>
> --
> John Anderson

Bruce Chambers

John Anderson wrote:
> My system is currently using XP Pro.
>
> If I want to have a dual boot system and install a second hard drive,
>
> then install Vista Ultimate on the new hard drive,
>
> then use the VistaBootPro
>
> Which OS do I allow the system to boot to?

Whichever you prefer; that's the point of dual-booting. You'll be
presented with the choice of operating systems at the time you boot the
computer, and can set whichever OS you prefer as the default, if you
make no selection.

> Which OS will have the VistaBoot Pro program installed?

Again, that's your choice. I'd install it in both, just for the added
flexibility.

> Will one OS mess up the other?

Only to the extent that the System Restore feature of WinXP, if not
turned off, will corrupt Vista's Restore Points.

> When I switch from one OS to the other is it like rebooting?

Yes, it's exactly like booting, as that is how you make the transition:
you'd reboot the computer and select the other OS.

> If I ie: boot to Vista, then switch to XP, ...

Which is to say, reboot into WinXP....

>.... would I then be able to run
> those XP programs that are incompatible with Vista?

Certainly, because you won't be running Vista.

> Will switching back and forth affect a pre-existing network and router?

It will be as if you have two separate computers, only one of which can
be on at any one time.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Barnes

Re: Yet another Dual Boot Question
The deleting of Vista restore points has nothing to do with XP restore. XP
will delete the Vista restore points when it does its Volume processing
regardless of what volumes are involved in system restore. Vista either
needs to be on a hidden partition or be encrypted.

"John Anderson" <jwanderson_98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My system is currently using XP Pro.
>
> If I want to have a dual boot system and install a second hard drive,
>
> then install Vista Ultimate on the new hard drive,
>
> then use the VistaBootPro
>
> Which OS do I allow the system to boot to?
>
> Which OS will have the VistaBoot Pro program installed?
>
> Will one OS mess up the other?
>
> When I switch from one OS to the other is it like rebooting?
>
> If I ie: boot to Vista, then switch to XP, would I then be able to run
> those XP programs that are incompatible with Vista?
>
> Will switching back and forth affect a pre-existing network and router?
>
> --
> John Anderson

Paul Randall

Re: Yet another Dual Boot Question
I'm trying to clarify in my mind what is going on "when it does its Volume
processing" process and how long does it take. Is this done when restore
points are created or at boot-up time, or what?

-Paul Randall