Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure

RStanleySOFla

Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure
I purchased and attempted to upgrade Vista Basic to Home Premium. I started
install and after about 2.5 hours of numerous restarts I finally got to the
end of theprocess my machine did a final reboot and then I got a BSD with
only a Install error telling me that my PC failed to take the Install
Probable event Name BSD with only the following codes:
BCCode 10000007e
BCP1 C0000005
BCP3 87EP7C08
BCP4 87ED7904
OSVer 6.0.6000
ServPac 0.0
Prod 768_1

Can anyone explain what happened, the manufacture emachine/Gateway claimes
not to be responsable for Vista upgrades (Kinda of funny since I bought the
disc from them. Go figure?)

Here is my System Config:
eMachine W3609
OS: VISTA Basic OEM
Motherboard: 945G 10/100 LAN W/O 1394 - INTEL
PCI Slots (Total): 2
Expansion Slots: 4
Processor Class: Intel Celeron D Processor 356 3.33GHz, 512KB L2 cache
Bus Speed: 533MHz FSB
Additional Technologies: Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2 4200 533MHz
Memory: 2 GB (2048 MB)
Video: BFG Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT 256MB DDR2
SATA II HDD: HDD, 120GB 7200RPM SATA II w/8MB cache (80 GB Free)Optical
Drive 1: DVD±RW 16x Multiformat Dual-Layer Optical Drive
Audio Description: Integrated Audio 5.1

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure
Free Microsoft Windows Vista Installation Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...6&gprid=436922

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"RStanleySOFla" wrote:

[...]

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure
I went to your link. After 90 days, it costs $59 per incident. 90-day
period starts the day you activate, not date of first incident.

From this, it seems that a person would be better off if they don't activate
until the 30 days is up or they come across a problem they can't solve by
themselves or through these newsgroups.

Lesson learned:
1) NEVER activate until absolutely necessary.
2) Once you do activate, use your system hard to shake out all the bugs
before the 90-day period ends.
3) If you like tinkering, play with the system in 30-day spurts, without
activating; just reinstall every 30 days. Activate when you are done
tinkering.
4) DON'T switch to Vista until you have a compelling reason.

Question:
Preinstalled OEM Vista comes kind of pre-activated. What is its activation
date for the purposes of free support?

-Paul Randall

> Free Microsoft Windows Vista Installation Support:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...6&gprid=436922
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "RStanleySOFla" wrote:
>
> I purchased and attempted to upgrade Vista Basic to Home Premium. I
> started
> install and after about 2.5 hours of numerous restarts I finally got to
> the
> end of theprocess my machine did a final reboot and then I got a BSD with
> only a Install error telling me that my PC failed to take the Install
> Probable event Name BSD with only the following codes:
> BCCode 10000007e
> BCP1 C0000005
> BCP3 87EP7C08
> BCP4 87ED7904
> OSVer 6.0.6000
> ServPac 0.0
> Prod 768_1
>
> Can anyone explain what happened, the manufacture emachine/Gateway claimes
> not to be responsable for Vista upgrades (Kinda of funny since I bought
> the
> disc from them. Go figure?)
>
> Here is my System Config:
> eMachine W3609
> OS: VISTA Basic OEM
> Motherboard: 945G 10/100 LAN W/O 1394 - INTEL
> PCI Slots (Total): 2
> Expansion Slots: 4
> Processor Class: Intel Celeron D Processor 356 3.33GHz, 512KB L2 cache
> Bus Speed: 533MHz FSB
> Additional Technologies: Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology
> Memory Type: DDR2 PC2 4200 533MHz
> Memory: 2 GB (2048 MB)
> Video: BFG Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT 256MB DDR2
> SATA II HDD: HDD, 120GB 7200RPM SATA II w/8MB cache (80 GB Free)Optical
> Drive 1: DVDRW 16x Multiformat Dual-Layer Optical Drive
> Audio Description: Integrated Audio 5.1

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure
OEM copies are not eligible for any support from Microsoft. The computer
manufacturer gets Vista dirt cheap in exchange for agreeing to support each
copy of Windows instead of Microsoft. So, for an OEM copy, your computer
manufacturer will determine what support you get and for how long.

And yeah, support starts on a retail version as soon as you install and
activate. When you buy a car the warranty starts the day you drive it away.
What else would you expect?

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>I went to your link. After 90 days, it costs $59 per incident. 90-day
>period starts the day you activate, not date of first incident.
>
> From this, it seems that a person would be better off if they don't
> activate until the 30 days is up or they come across a problem they can't
> solve by themselves or through these newsgroups.
>
> Lesson learned:
> 1) NEVER activate until absolutely necessary.
> 2) Once you do activate, use your system hard to shake out all the bugs
> before the 90-day period ends.
> 3) If you like tinkering, play with the system in 30-day spurts, without
> activating; just reinstall every 30 days. Activate when you are done
> tinkering.
> 4) DON'T switch to Vista until you have a compelling reason.
>
> Question:
> Preinstalled OEM Vista comes kind of pre-activated. What is its
> activation date for the purposes of free support?

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Basic to Vista HP Upgrade Failure
With previous versions of Windows, timeout for free support didn't start
until first use of support. I've never needed personal support in the past,
but I'd like to maximize the availablity of this free support even if I
don't use it. I'm a cheapskate.

-Paul Randall