Clean install

Antonio Roque

Clean install
Hi.
After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do clean
installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care to loose
any program because I don't have nothing important yet.

1. I have 160 gig hard drive
2 .1.66 gig memory ram
3. 1.67 GHZ

Thanks
Roque.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Clean install
If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

"Antonio Roque" <antonioroque@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
> After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
> Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do clean
> installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care to
> loose any program because I don't have nothing important yet.
>
> 1. I have 160 gig hard drive
> 2 .1.66 gig memory ram
> 3. 1.67 GHZ
>

> Thanks
> Roque.

brink

Re: Clean install

Richard G. Harper;418578 Wrote:
> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

> * The Website - 'Richard's Website' (http://rgharper.mvps.org/)
> * HELP us help YOU ... 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup
> posts:' (http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm)

Hi Richard,

You can, but technically your doing the upgrade from a unactived clean
install of the upgrade Vista. This way you do not have to worry about
any problems from doing it from within XP, or you just want a clean
install. See this link for what I mean, but it works flawlessly
everytime for me.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...n-install.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mark

Re: Clean install
Look around!
Clean install with an upgrade disk is posted everywhere.
(The MVP is technically correct. You cannot "clean" install and activate the
upgrade product. You can "clean" install, then from within the Windows you
just installed, "upgrade and activate" the product.)
~~~
What? MS created a method to perform a Clean Install with their upgrade
disk?
Let's see...
They allow you to install any version of Vista as trial ware for 30 days
from that disk you bought.
(We won't discuss that workaround and what is the purpose of a 30-day trial
on something you paid outrageous money on? I guess you're supposed to let
other people borrow your disk.)
Now, having Vista (Windows) installed, even as trial ware, satisfies the
upgrade disk for installation as an upgrade.

Could it be a bug? A slip in the process? What were they thinking?
Maybe you're having horrendous problems getting Vista to stabilize (duh) or
questioning Vista's upgrade process at being able to remove the garbage in
the old OS before it upgrades.
(I personally recommend backups. They're faster to install, pre-activated
and include all your apps at the same time.)
Whatever...
You bought the upgrade, use it as an upgrade.
WHAT you upgrade is on your shoulders. But, once installed and activated,
the old is gone... whatever it was.

> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

> "Antonio Roque" <antonioroque@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
>> Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do clean
>> installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care to
>> loose any program because I don't have nothing important yet.
>>
>> 1. I have 160 gig hard drive
>> 2 .1.66 gig memory ram
>> 3. 1.67 GHZ
>>

>> Thanks
>> Roque.

Antonio Roque

Re: Clean install
Thanks again.
My computer run just fine , I don't have any problem,the only reason I'm
concern, my HD,lost a lot of memory,4 gig but beside that everything fine.
The upgrade was given by Toshiba because my machine is win vista capable .

Thanks again for your advice

Roque.

"Mark" <jmhonzell.nospam@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Look around!
> Clean install with an upgrade disk is posted everywhere.
> (The MVP is technically correct. You cannot "clean" install and activate
> the upgrade product. You can "clean" install, then from within the Windows
> you just installed, "upgrade and activate" the product.)
> ~~~
> What? MS created a method to perform a Clean Install with their upgrade
> disk?
> Let's see...
> They allow you to install any version of Vista as trial ware for 30 days
> from that disk you bought.
> (We won't discuss that workaround and what is the purpose of a 30-day
> trial on something you paid outrageous money on? I guess you're supposed
> to let other people borrow your disk.)
> Now, having Vista (Windows) installed, even as trial ware, satisfies the
> upgrade disk for installation as an upgrade.
>
> Could it be a bug? A slip in the process? What were they thinking?
> Maybe you're having horrendous problems getting Vista to stabilize (duh)
> or questioning Vista's upgrade process at being able to remove the garbage
> in the old OS before it upgrades.
> (I personally recommend backups. They're faster to install, pre-activated
> and include all your apps at the same time.)
> Whatever...
> You bought the upgrade, use it as an upgrade.
> WHAT you upgrade is on your shoulders. But, once installed and activated,
> the old is gone... whatever it was.
>

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
>> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

>> "Antonio Roque" <antonioroque@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>> After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
>>> Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do
>>> clean installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care
>>> to loose any program because I don't have nothing important yet.
>>>
>>> 1. I have 160 gig hard drive
>>> 2 .1.66 gig memory ram
>>> 3. 1.67 GHZ
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Roque.

peter

Re: Clean install
But he already has it installed and I bet activated!!!
doesn't anybody read anymore??
peter
"Mark" <jmhonzell.nospam@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Look around!
> Clean install with an upgrade disk is posted everywhere.
> (The MVP is technically correct. You cannot "clean" install and activate
> the upgrade product. You can "clean" install, then from within the Windows
> you just installed, "upgrade and activate" the product.)
> ~~~
> What? MS created a method to perform a Clean Install with their upgrade
> disk?
> Let's see...
> They allow you to install any version of Vista as trial ware for 30 days
> from that disk you bought.
> (We won't discuss that workaround and what is the purpose of a 30-day
> trial on something you paid outrageous money on? I guess you're supposed
> to let other people borrow your disk.)
> Now, having Vista (Windows) installed, even as trial ware, satisfies the
> upgrade disk for installation as an upgrade.
>
> Could it be a bug? A slip in the process? What were they thinking?
> Maybe you're having horrendous problems getting Vista to stabilize (duh)
> or questioning Vista's upgrade process at being able to remove the garbage
> in the old OS before it upgrades.
> (I personally recommend backups. They're faster to install, pre-activated
> and include all your apps at the same time.)
> Whatever...
> You bought the upgrade, use it as an upgrade.
> WHAT you upgrade is on your shoulders. But, once installed and activated,
> the old is gone... whatever it was.
>

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
>> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

>> "Antonio Roque" <antonioroque@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>> After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
>>> Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do
>>> clean installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care
>>> to loose any program because I don't have nothing important yet.
>>>
>>> 1. I have 160 gig hard drive
>>> 2 .1.66 gig memory ram
>>> 3. 1.67 GHZ
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Roque.

Mark

Re: Clean install
I'll let you answer your own question:

"peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> But he already has it installed and I bet activated!!!
> doesn't anybody read anymore??
> peter
> "Mark" <jmhonzell.nospam@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Look around!
>> Clean install with an upgrade disk is posted everywhere.
>> (The MVP is technically correct. You cannot "clean" install and activate
>> the upgrade product. You can "clean" install, then from within the
>> Windows you just installed, "upgrade and activate" the product.)
>> ~~~
>> What? MS created a method to perform a Clean Install with their upgrade
>> disk?
>> Let's see...
>> They allow you to install any version of Vista as trial ware for 30 days
>> from that disk you bought.
>> (We won't discuss that workaround and what is the purpose of a 30-day
>> trial on something you paid outrageous money on? I guess you're supposed
>> to let other people borrow your disk.)
>> Now, having Vista (Windows) installed, even as trial ware, satisfies the
>> upgrade disk for installation as an upgrade.
>>
>> Could it be a bug? A slip in the process? What were they thinking?
>> Maybe you're having horrendous problems getting Vista to stabilize (duh)
>> or questioning Vista's upgrade process at being able to remove the
>> garbage in the old OS before it upgrades.
>> (I personally recommend backups. They're faster to install, pre-activated
>> and include all your apps at the same time.)
>> Whatever...
>> You bought the upgrade, use it as an upgrade.
>> WHAT you upgrade is on your shoulders. But, once installed and activated,
>> the old is gone... whatever it was.
>>

>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>>> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
>>> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Richard G. Harper

Re: Clean install
Three thoughts:

1. Unsupported.
2. Against EULA.
3. Not guaranteed to work forever.

"brink" <brink.2v87o5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> [...]

> (I personally recommend backups. They're faster to install, pre-activated
> and include all your apps at the same time.)
> Whatever...
> You bought the upgrade, use it as an upgrade.
> WHAT you upgrade is on your shoulders. But, once installed and activated,
> the old is gone... whatever it was.
>

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If your copy is an upgrade copy, you can't install it clean. It must be
>> installed as an upgrade from within Windows.

>> "Antonio Roque" <antonioroque@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>> After I upgrade to Vista upgrade Home premium of my laptop Toshiba
>>> Satellite. I noticing my hard drive lost almost 4 gig. I need to do
>>> clean installation in order to recover my hard drive memory.I don't care
>>> to loose any program because I don't have nothing important yet.

>>> 2 .1.66 gig memory ram
>>> 3. 1.67 GHZ
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Roque.

Mark

Re: Clean install

> Three thoughts:
>
> 1. Unsupported.

What is there to support?
It works! And, once installed, it's Vista.

> 2. Against EULA.

Basically, you just repeated #1.
(As if anyone actually reads these things. EULAs don't stand up
in court when pressed.)

> 3. Not guaranteed to work forever.

Nothing is.