Upgrade or Clean install ? ?

jolowe

Upgrade or Clean install ? ?
I would like to do an upgrade instal of Vista - just the thought of loosing
all my programs and reinstalling makes my stomach hurt and as sure as
anything I will forget some file or another and loose it forever - BUT I have
heard that if you do not do a clean install Vista will never run right. What
is the truth - I am running XP Media Edition on a new HP computer. Thank
you, in advance, for any help I get with this question.
Richard G. Harper

Re: Upgrade or Clean install ? ?
One word:

POO!

My laptop came with Windows XP Media Center Edition and I upgraded it to
Windows Vista with a free copy of Vista from HP. It worked, and works,
fine. No problems whatsoever.

I would suspect that some, or even many, of those who have problems after an
upgrade are either not running the hardware assessment first (unsupported
hardware) or have something wrong with their XP system prior to the upgrade.

"jolowe" <jolowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to do an upgrade instal of Vista - just the thought of loosing
> all my programs and reinstalling makes my stomach hurt and as sure as
> anything I will forget some file or another and loose it forever - BUT I
> have
> heard that if you do not do a clean install Vista will never run right.
> What
> is the truth - I am running XP Media Edition on a new HP computer. Thank
> you, in advance, for any help I get with this question.

Mark

Re: Upgrade or Clean install ? ?
Like he said: POO!

Upgrade works great!
(And now that all the drivers for my machine are out there, I don't have to
re-install it every two weeks.
That would be that assessment thing that said no known issues before I
installed Vista.)