Cant resize c:\drive...

John Venables

Cant resize c:\drive...
Hi, i have a 200GB main drive which currently is completely for Vista...i am
considering dual booting Vista with XP for some testing purposes and
gaming....However when I went into drive manager I am not allowed to resize
the existing partition even though there is plenty of capacity...Can anyone
advise what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to be able to resize &
create another partition on the same drive please?
JerryM

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
John, just to see what you are doing, please follow along.

First do a disk cleanup to get rid of a lot of junk.
Then,
Right click Computer and select Manage,
Click disk management,
Go to full screen so you can see all your drives,
Right click on C: drive and select Shrink Volume.

You should get a window showing how much you can shrink C: drive.
This creates an unallocated space that can be made into a valid partition.

--
Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The Wagging Tail of a Dog.

"John Venables" <JohnVenables@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i have a 200GB main drive which currently is completely for Vista...i
> am
> considering dual booting Vista with XP for some testing purposes and
> gaming....However when I went into drive manager I am not allowed to
> resize
> the existing partition even though there is plenty of capacity...Can
> anyone
> advise what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to be able to resize &
> create another partition on the same drive please?

John Venables

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
Hi,

My physical & logical C:\ drive is showing the below figures in drive
management

Total Size before Shrink - 190526MB
Size of available Shrink - 18515MB
Enter Amount to Shrink - 18515MB
Total Size after Shrink - 172011MB

but in drive properties I have the below 101GB free.

but for some reason I cannot shrink below the top numbers.

I want to shrink by about 40GB to allow me to create a new partition.

Any guidance would be appreciated

84.8GB used space &

"JerryM" wrote:

> John, just to see what you are doing, please follow along.
>
> First do a disk cleanup to get rid of a lot of junk.
> Then,
> Right click Computer and select Manage,
> Click disk management,
> Go to full screen so you can see all your drives,
> Right click on C: drive and select Shrink Volume.
>
> You should get a window showing how much you can shrink C: drive.
> This creates an unallocated space that can be made into a valid partition.
>
> --
> Jerry
>
> One thing money can't buy,
> The Wagging Tail of a Dog.
>
> "John Venables" <JohnVenables@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i have a 200GB main drive which currently is completely for Vista...i
> > am
> > considering dual booting Vista with XP for some testing purposes and
> > gaming....However when I went into drive manager I am not allowed to
> > resize
> > the existing partition even though there is plenty of capacity...Can
> > anyone
> > advise what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to be able to resize &
> > create another partition on the same drive please?

JerryM

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
Hi, John,

According to your figures you can only shrink 18 1/2 GB.
The reason could be that you have files scattered over a large portion of
your hard drive.
Try doing a defrag on the drive to see if it will open up more space.

--

> Hi,
>
> My physical & logical C:\ drive is showing the below figures in drive
> management
>
> Total Size before Shrink - 190526MB
> Size of available Shrink - 18515MB
> Enter Amount to Shrink - 18515MB
> Total Size after Shrink - 172011MB
>
> but in drive properties I have the below 101GB free.
>
> but for some reason I cannot shrink below the top numbers.
>
> I want to shrink by about 40GB to allow me to create a new partition.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated

<Snip>

JerryM

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
John,
If defragging doesn't work,

You can download- BootIt NG
It can be used free for 30 days.
You have to install it to do the partition work,
and then you have to uninstall it.

--
Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The Wagging Tail of a Dog.

John Barnes

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
If you can use the command prompt on your install DVD, delete the pagefile
and hiberfil and defrag from there.

"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> Hi, John,
>
> According to your figures you can only shrink 18 1/2 GB.
> The reason could be that you have files scattered over a large portion of
> your hard drive.
> Try doing a defrag on the drive to see if it will open up more space.
>
> --
> Jerry
>
> One thing money can't buy,
> The Wagging Tail of a Dog.
>
> "John Venables" <JohnVenables@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My physical & logical C:\ drive is showing the below figures in drive
>> management
>>
>> Total Size before Shrink - 190526MB
>> Size of available Shrink - 18515MB
>> Enter Amount to Shrink - 18515MB
>> Total Size after Shrink - 172011MB
>>
>> but in drive properties I have the below 101GB free.
>>
>> but for some reason I cannot shrink below the top numbers.
>>
>> I want to shrink by about 40GB to allow me to create a new partition.
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated
>>

> <Snip>

Herbie

RE: Cant resize c:\drive...
How can I resize the C:\ to make it smaller while using that space to make
the D:\ bigger???
John Barnes

Re: Cant resize c:\drive...
Use a third party partitioning product. BootItNG works well. If D is after
C on the drive, Vista won't allow you to expand into freespace before a
partition.