how to wake up Vista ?

Rob

how to wake up Vista ?
I have Vista x64 and XP (32) on same machine (dual-boot).

Yesterday, I left my Anti-virus scanning and left the workstation for an
hour or so. When I cam back, the system was ''sleeping'' (as I am used to it
under XP too).

I tried to awake by moving the mouse, trying almost every key on the
keyboard, there was nothing I could do but to use the hard way: forcing a
complete shutdown with the ON/OFF button of the computer.

When I restarted the PC, I got a Vista message ''RESUMING WINDOWS'' which
led nowhere but a blinking cursor on both monitors over a black screen. I
shutted down once again the hard way, then at restarting I git another dual
option : to ''keep resuming'' or to ''launch dual-boot option'' (just the
sense here, not the exact wording...).

Thanks I did not screw my boot loader or anything... But how do we awake a
Vista system for next time ???

Thanks,
Rob

Dominic Payer

Re: how to wake up Vista ?
A simple press of the on/off switch should have woken the machine. I assume
the BIOS is set for S3 standby.

You can set the keyboard to wake the machine. Use your Power Management
options for the keyboard in Device Manager - it isn't set by default.

If wake-up from S3 isn't rapid you probably have a resume problem and should
apply the recent patches.

If the machine loses power, or is switched off, when in hybrid sleep the
memory state has been saved to disk - as in XP's hibernate option - and on
power up the restoration of the memory state from disk can take a long time
if you have several GB of RAM: watch the disk activity light to see if
restoration is in process. If you have more than 4GB of RAM the memory state
is never saved to disk: hybrid sleep and hibernation are not an option by
design.

"Rob" <landrobert@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista x64 and XP (32) on same machine (dual-boot).
>
> Yesterday, I left my Anti-virus scanning and left the workstation for an
> hour or so. When I cam back, the system was ''sleeping'' (as I am used to
> it
> under XP too).
>
> I tried to awake by moving the mouse, trying almost every key on the
> keyboard, there was nothing I could do but to use the hard way: forcing a
> complete shutdown with the ON/OFF button of the computer.
>
> When I restarted the PC, I got a Vista message ''RESUMING WINDOWS'' which
> led nowhere but a blinking cursor on both monitors over a black screen. I
> shutted down once again the hard way, then at restarting I git another
> dual
> option : to ''keep resuming'' or to ''launch dual-boot option'' (just the
> sense here, not the exact wording...).
>
> Thanks I did not screw my boot loader or anything... But how do we awake a
> Vista system for next time ???
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Huib

Re: how to wake up Vista ?
"Rob" <landrobert@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>I have Vista x64 and XP (32) on same machine (dual-boot).
>
> Yesterday, I left my Anti-virus scanning and left the workstation for an
> hour or so. When I cam back, the system was ''sleeping'' (as I am used to
> it
> under XP too).
>
> I tried to awake by moving the mouse, trying almost every key on the
> keyboard, there was nothing I could do but to use the hard way: forcing a
> complete shutdown with the ON/OFF button of the computer.
>
> When I restarted the PC, I got a Vista message ''RESUMING WINDOWS'' which
> led nowhere but a blinking cursor on both monitors over a black screen. I
> shutted down once again the hard way, then at restarting I git another
> dual
> option : to ''keep resuming'' or to ''launch dual-boot option'' (just the
> sense here, not the exact wording...).
>
> Thanks I did not screw my boot loader or anything... But how do we awake a
> Vista system for next time ???
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Hi,
Are you sure it was only "sleeping" ?
There is also another state where your PC is powered off and everthing is
saved.
When activating via the on/off button indeed it takes a while (blinking
cursor) as everthing has to be downloaded again.
I do know that it can be forced manually but didn't find immediately the
setting to perfom it automatically.
Regards
Huib