Vista won't boot after updating

rgrling

Vista won't boot after updating
Hello,

I installed two Vista updates (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979/en-us)
and (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194/en-us) to my Vista Ultimate on a
HP DV2000t notebook computer.

When I restarted, the Vista OS would not boot. Instead I'm greeted with this:

Booting 'Windows VIsta'

acpi
Vista Loader 2.1.2

ACPI: Reclaim Memory not found!
Done!
fallback1
find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'

fallback 2
find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Enter Command Line'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line

After that I get taken to a menu where I can alter the boot order or other
boot setup options, but I haven't changed anything since I don't know how.
I've tried reverting to a restore point via recovery discs prior to the
installation of the updates, but the restore point manager would not let me
restore my X: drive (which I assume contains my boots files). So even after
restoring, Vista does not boot up.

What should I do?

Thanks for you help.
Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista won't boot after updating

"rgrling" <rgrling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<snipped>

> What should I do?

I'll assume that the HP is a recent purchase. You should call HP Tech
Support, because you have an one year software support warrantee from HP if
the O/S on the laptop has not been changed.

John Barnes

Re: Vista won't boot after updating
If you have a Vista DVD you might consider running startup repair.

"rgrling" <rgrling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed two Vista updates
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979/en-us)
> and (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194/en-us) to my Vista Ultimate on
> HP DV2000t notebook computer.
>
> When I restarted, the Vista OS would not boot. Instead I'm greeted with
> this:
>
> Booting 'Windows VIsta'
>
> acpi
> Vista Loader 2.1.2
>
> ACPI: Reclaim Memory not found!
> Done!
> fallback1
> find --set-root /bootmgr
>
> Error 17: File not found
> Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'
>
> fallback 2
> find --set-root /ntldr
>
> Error 17: File not found
> Booting 'Enter Command Line'
>
> Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line
>
> After that I get taken to a menu where I can alter the boot order or other
> boot setup options, but I haven't changed anything since I don't know how.
> I've tried reverting to a restore point via recovery discs prior to the
> installation of the updates, but the restore point manager would not let
> me
> restore my X: drive (which I assume contains my boots files). So even
> after
> restoring, Vista does not boot up.
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thanks for you help.

jgruberman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that stumble onto this thread looking for a resolution like I did:

Boot to your Vista DVD, open a command prompt from the repair options, and type bootrec.exe /FixBoot

mikemusic is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista won't boot after updating
None of these fixes worked for me so what I did was get myself a copy of a Linux OS and install it which allowed the computer to boot up using Linux. Once that was done I then re-installed my Windows OS using an istallation disc, this fixed the boot up error and it is now running fine.

If you try this remember that the linux install will automatically format the hard drive before the install so try removing the hard drive and install it as a second drive in a different PC or if your using a laptop then get a hard drive enclosure which allows you to connect the hard drive by USB to another computer, you can then back up any essential files. This fix is a bit quick and dirty but it worked. I hope this helps