Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Lost programs when installing Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
Doug
 

Posts: n/a
Lost programs when installing Vista
Hi..I installed Vista over a perfectly stable, configured version of XP. No
problems installing. Program forced me to take a custom installation because
it is on a tablet PC. Now, I cannot find any of my programs. I have found
my old folder of program files but cannot get windows office 2007 to run.
Cannot load my preferences, emails, contacts, all my old software...etc.
Very frustrating. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost programs when installing Vista
Doug wrote:
> Hi..I installed Vista over a perfectly stable, configured version of
> XP. No problems installing. Program forced me to take a custom
> installation because it is on a tablet PC. Now, I cannot find any of
> my programs. I have found my old folder of program files but cannot
> get windows office 2007 to run. Cannot load my preferences, emails,
> contacts, all my old software...etc. Very frustrating. Can anyone
> help?

=======================================
Maybe the following article will offer something useful:

(932912) How to restore your personal files after
you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912/en-us

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost programs when installing Vista
Hi Doug,

A custom install is basically a clean install to a new folder. Programs and
settings are generally not migrated into the installation by this process.
You would have to reinstall programs from their original installation media.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5C65DE4D-A274-4B12-BB92-246D5964FA2E@microsoft.com...
> Hi..I installed Vista over a perfectly stable, configured version of XP.
> No
> problems installing. Program forced me to take a custom installation
> because
> it is on a tablet PC. Now, I cannot find any of my programs. I have
> found
> my old folder of program files but cannot get windows office 2007 to run.
> Cannot load my preferences, emails, contacts, all my old software...etc.
> Very frustrating. Can anyone help?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
Doug
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost programs when installing Vista

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Do you have any suggestions on how to find
all my Outlook folders / contacts / emails?


"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> A custom install is basically a clean install to a new folder. Programs and
> settings are generally not migrated into the installation by this process.
> You would have to reinstall programs from their original installation media.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5C65DE4D-A274-4B12-BB92-246D5964FA2E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi..I installed Vista over a perfectly stable, configured version of XP.
> > No
> > problems installing. Program forced me to take a custom installation
> > because
> > it is on a tablet PC. Now, I cannot find any of my programs. I have
> > found
> > my old folder of program files but cannot get windows office 2007 to run.
> > Cannot load my preferences, emails, contacts, all my old software...etc.
> > Very frustrating. Can anyone help?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost programs when installing Vista
"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:316C7D9F-C47D-462B-A413-F19CD5E37AEE@microsoft.com...
>
> Thanks. I was afraid of that. Do you have any suggestions on how to find
> all my Outlook folders / contacts / emails?
>
>



Did you create a backup before you installed Vista? Depending on the program
used to create the backup you may be able to selectively restore the Outlook
..pst file then load it into Outlook in Vista.

If you don't have a backup then the .pst file may be in the windows.old
folder. Your old user accounts should be in the windows.old folder in the
documents and settings folder. Look under your old user profile for the .pst
file. It is normally here.

windows.old\documents and settings\user_name\local settings\application
data\outlook

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uninstalling and Installing Programs In Vista CSM microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 07-23-2007 07:52
Installing Programs w/Vista =?Utf-8?B?bWljazAzMTE=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-15-2007 08:17
installing new programs after vista instalation =?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-19-2007 06:46
Installing Programs from XP to Vista JV Esh microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 04:35
Installing programs on VISTA =?Utf-8?B?TWFyY28=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 02-28-2007 14:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:53.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120