USB Vista Boot EULA Win-Win for everyone

BFGBIOSMAN

USB Vista Boot EULA Win-Win for everyone
It's understood that Microsoft's EULA will not allow Vista to boot from a USB
flash drive, presumeably because the USB could then be used to boot multiple
other machines. To get around that, and make everybody happy (including
Microsoft), the bios could force 95% of the OS to be installed on the USB,
but the first 5% of the program would boot from the hard drive. Yes, Vista
would be split, but there would still be vastly improved performance.

Richard G. Harper

Re: USB Vista Boot EULA Win-Win for everyone
It has nothing to do with the EULA and everything to do with how the boot
loader functions. XP could be "hacked" to allow this, Vista cannot.

"BFGBIOSMAN" <BFGBIOSMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's understood that Microsoft's EULA will not allow Vista to boot from a
> USB
> flash drive, presumeably because the USB could then be used to boot
> multiple
> other machines. To get around that, and make everybody happy (including
> Microsoft), the bios could force 95% of the OS to be installed on the USB,
> but the first 5% of the program would boot from the hard drive. Yes, Vista
> would be split, but there would still be vastly improved performance.

BFGBIOSMAN

Re: USB Vista Boot EULA Win-Win for everyone
Thanks Richard - I wonder though, if Microsoft could (or would) work with
bios and motherboard manufacturers, making changes that would allow a 99%
USB / 1% hard drive Vista installation. I know nothing about how the boot
loader works, but I bet the Powers could make it happen, for everyone's
benefit.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> It has nothing to do with the EULA and everything to do with how the boot
> loader functions. XP could be "hacked" to allow this, Vista cannot.

> "BFGBIOSMAN" <BFGBIOSMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's understood that Microsoft's EULA will not allow Vista to boot from a
> > USB
> > flash drive, presumeably because the USB could then be used to boot
> > multiple
> > other machines. To get around that, and make everybody happy (including
> > Microsoft), the bios could force 95% of the OS to be installed on the USB,
> > but the first 5% of the program would boot from the hard drive. Yes, Vista
> > would be split, but there would still be vastly improved performance.

Richard G. Harper

Re: USB Vista Boot EULA Win-Win for everyone
I highly doubt it - it is a non-supported scenario in any version of
Windows.