Getting ready to install Vista

Whirlwinds

Getting ready to install Vista
Hello, I have deceided to purchase and do a clean install of Windows Vista
Ultimate, and Office Ultimate 2007. I bought my computers from Dell it is an
Dimension 3100/E310. I also bought my memory 2 x 1GB for both home computers.
I also own a Inspiron E1705, so they all will have 2 GB memory in them.
Now here are my questions:
1) On my office computer one of the Dimension 3100/E310 running (Windows XP
Media Center Edition 2004), I have an Raid system on it, only mirriors one
drive. It has the Dell restore also. Is there anything I will need to do with
the Raid system before or after the clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate?
2) Will the clean install wipe out my "Dell restore"? Since I did not ask
for the disks when I ordered it. (I still have the warrenties upgraded
them for the next 3 yrs).
3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they will
still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network Assistant, as I
am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router, and PCI
cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep my
Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance for
making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)
AJR

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
You did run the Windows Upgrade Advisor? Results thereof?

"Whirlwinds" <Whirlwinds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have deceided to purchase and do a clean install of Windows Vista
> Ultimate, and Office Ultimate 2007. I bought my computers from Dell it is
> an
> Dimension 3100/E310. I also bought my memory 2 x 1GB for both home
> computers.
> I also own a Inspiron E1705, so they all will have 2 GB memory in them.
> Now here are my questions:
> 1) On my office computer one of the Dimension 3100/E310 running (Windows
> XP
> Media Center Edition 2004), I have an Raid system on it, only mirriors one
> drive. It has the Dell restore also. Is there anything I will need to do
> with
> the Raid system before or after the clean install of Windows Vista
> Ultimate?
> 2) Will the clean install wipe out my "Dell restore"? Since I did not ask
> for the disks when I ordered it. (I still have the warrenties upgraded
> them for the next 3 yrs).
> 3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they will
> still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network Assistant,
> as I
> am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router, and
> PCI
> cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
> 4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
> Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep my
> Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
> I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
> Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance for
> making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)

Whirlwinds

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
"All three are Vista ready" They all have the stickers...All P4's too
Thanks for asking.
--
If life is meant to be lived, why fill it with regrets?

"AJR" wrote:

> You did run the Windows Upgrade Advisor? Results thereof?
>
> "Whirlwinds" <Whirlwinds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, I have deceided to purchase and do a clean install of Windows Vista
> > Ultimate, and Office Ultimate 2007. I bought my computers from Dell it is
> > an
> > Dimension 3100/E310. I also bought my memory 2 x 1GB for both home
> > computers.
> > I also own a Inspiron E1705, so they all will have 2 GB memory in them.
> > Now here are my questions:
> > 1) On my office computer one of the Dimension 3100/E310 running (Windows
> > XP
> > Media Center Edition 2004), I have an Raid system on it, only mirriors one
> > drive. It has the Dell restore also. Is there anything I will need to do
> > with
> > the Raid system before or after the clean install of Windows Vista
> > Ultimate?
> > 2) Will the clean install wipe out my "Dell restore"? Since I did not ask
> > for the disks when I ordered it. (I still have the warrenties upgraded
> > them for the next 3 yrs).
> > 3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they will
> > still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network Assistant,
> > as I
> > am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router, and
> > PCI
> > cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
> > 4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
> > Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep my
> > Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
> > I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
> > Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance for
> > making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)

PvdG42

"Whirlwinds" <whirlwinds06@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> "All three are Vista ready" They all have the stickers...All P4's too
> Thanks for asking.
> --

A "Vista Ready" sticker and results from the Upgrade Advisor are two
entirely different things. The sticker simply means that Dell is certifying
the hardware (as they delivered it, excluding any changes you may have
made.) can run Vista, but that tells you nothing about possible problems
with software you have installed. OTOH, the Upgrade Advisor will look at
your systems as they are presently configured and tell you of possible
issues.
BTW, do the stickers say "Vista Capable" or "Vista Premium Ready"? There is
a difference.
To download and run the Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a&mg_id=20409b

Whirlwinds

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
Thank You! as I have found this out after running the program and am finding
that I will need to upgrade my video card. I do thank you for clearing that
up for me about the stickers meaning and for responding to this post. I am
checking into everything that is on the resultf of that test.
--

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Whirlwinds" <whirlwinds06@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > "All three are Vista ready" They all have the stickers...All P4's too
> > Thanks for asking.
> > --

> A "Vista Ready" sticker and results from the Upgrade Advisor are two
> entirely different things. The sticker simply means that Dell is certifying
> the hardware (as they delivered it, excluding any changes you may have
> made.) can run Vista, but that tells you nothing about possible problems
> with software you have installed. OTOH, the Upgrade Advisor will look at
> your systems as they are presently configured and tell you of possible
> issues.
> BTW, do the stickers say "Vista Capable" or "Vista Premium Ready"? There is
> a difference.
> To download and run the Upgrade Advisor:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a&mg_id=20409b

...winston

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
1. Not sure about your specific system, but SATA drives usually require
a driver installation during the Vista installation for Vista to install
properly. I.e. You need a Vista compatible driver for your specific
device.
2. Contact Dell and ask these questions.
a. If under warranty, does installation of Vista may invalidate it.
b. Can I use the restore function to return to Xp if I install Vista
c. Does Dell provide the SATA drivers for use during a Vista install
d. Does Dell provide drivers for the 3100 and E310 that are compatible
with Vista.
3. The Upgrade Advisor should give a clue on current software. Check
each software manufacturer site to determine if your version is Vista
compatible. If not remove prior to Vista install, post Vista install
only use Vista compatible software.
4. Disconnect all external devices during the Vista install(external
drives, printers, camera. Visit the MyBook site to determine if your
drive is Vista compatible. Only Ghost 12 is compatible with Vista. You
may or may not be able to use your image and backup files with Ghost 12.

You've much research and homework to complete prior to attempting a
Vista installation.

...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

"Whirlwinds" <Whirlwinds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have deceided to purchase and do a clean install of Windows
> Vista
> Ultimate, and Office Ultimate 2007. I bought my computers from Dell it
> is an
> Dimension 3100/E310. I also bought my memory 2 x 1GB for both home
> computers.
> I also own a Inspiron E1705, so they all will have 2 GB memory in
> them.
> Now here are my questions:
> 1) On my office computer one of the Dimension 3100/E310 running
> (Windows XP
> Media Center Edition 2004), I have an Raid system on it, only mirriors
> one
> drive. It has the Dell restore also. Is there anything I will need to
> do with
> the Raid system before or after the clean install of Windows Vista
> Ultimate?
> 2) Will the clean install wipe out my "Dell restore"? Since I did not
> ask
> for the disks when I ordered it. (I still have the warrenties
> upgraded
> them for the next 3 yrs).
> 3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they
> will
> still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network
> Assistant, as I
> am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router,
> and PCI
> cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
> 4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
> Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep
> my
> Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
> I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
> Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance
> for
> making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)

Whirlwinds

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
Ok here is what I have done...I bought the Vista & Office 2007 throught
Dell...I also spoke with a Tech. from there who looked at my system(s)..he
has suggusted the video card for me, also stated "not to install it (vista)
over the partion that has the Dell restore on it". I also upgraded my
warranties with Dell just incase. The software that is not or may have some
issues with Vista are not ones I do not mind loosing...I have been
researching much of Vista since September of 2005(not saying I know
everything about Vista and installing it)... which is when (2005) I first
purchased my newer computers from Dell...I own three, two desktops and one
laptop...I am going to be placing Vista on my Office desktop first to see if
I like it or if I rather have the XP...I do want to Thank You for the advice
on removing the external devices, and the the software. Which I was
questioning myself about. The Ghost I have now is the Norton Ghost 10, so I
can see now I will need to upgrade that too...to Norton Ghost 12. I was
wondering if my ghost backup would work or not...(the ones on MyBook) which
now I can see that they won't..I will have to clean those up as to not be
tempted to use them..With that being said I have one more question...I am
using a Linksys wireless card (PCI) so that my Linksys Router is not
connected to my computer..will I need to remove that too before the install
of Vista? Should I do a fresh set up and install of that Wireless Network
System I have here running? Or can I leave it set upped as such? I just don't
want any regrets with the switch over to spoil my judgement as to the Vista
Program. I have heard many nightmares and that is why I have waited to do
this...I am both nervous and excited to do this install. I have alot of
others who are waiting on my thoughts and experience with my Vista switch
over...as I tend to be the trend setter and computer repair and fix it around
my neighborhood and with friends..I want to Thank You Very much for your time
and suggestions as they were the most helpful to me.
--

"...winston" wrote:

> [...]
> > upgraded
> > them for the next 3 yrs).
> > 3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they
> > will
> > still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network
> > Assistant, as I
> > am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router,
> > and PCI
> > cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
> > 4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
> > Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep
> > my
> > Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
> > I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
> > Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance
> > for
> > making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)

Here is that list of programs taken from the Adisor 1.0:

Sonic Express Labeler, Sonic Solutions 2.0.0
Sonic MyDVD Plus, Sonic Solutions 6.1.1
Digital Line Detect, BVRP Software, Inc. 1.10
Netwaiting, BVRP Software, Inc. 2.5.12
Acrobat Reader 5.0
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, Microsoft Corp. 1.1.0.2423
Norton Ghost 10.0, Symantec Corp. 10.3.0
Windows Messenger
Dell Inc. Utilities (says to go to their website to d/l latest utilities for
my system)

These were the only two devices that it could not find information about:

Dell Photo AIO Printer 944
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

My next question is: Ok now, I have uninstalled programs that might have
issues with Vista, I have what I need to do the clean install, do I change
video card (which the advisor says change after installing),add memory before
install?( I am thinking yes),wait to install Office 2007,Norton Ghost 12 (Do
I really need this)? til after clean install?(for both (?) I am thinking
yes). I have looked at my task List from the advisor it too says after
install upgrade Video Card. Wouldn't it be better to do before the install?
Same goes to my thinking about the memory.
Ok now about the Dell restore,I am getting confused about weither it will
work or not after the clean install of Vista Ultimate if it is even still
there (issues on Dell forums). The only disk I do not have from Dell for
this system is the Windows XP version, otherwise I really wouldn't care about
the restore partition. I have found that Dell techs do not know about many
things in regruards to thier systems and I rather not depend on their
information alone. Thanks again inadvance for information given to me on here.
--

"Whirlwinds" wrote:

> Hello, I have deceided to purchase and do a clean install of Windows Vista
> Ultimate, and Office Ultimate 2007. I bought my computers from Dell it is an
> Dimension 3100/E310. I also bought my memory 2 x 1GB for both home computers.
> I also own a Inspiron E1705, so they all will have 2 GB memory in them.
> Now here are my questions:
> 1) On my office computer one of the Dimension 3100/E310 running (Windows XP
> Media Center Edition 2004), I have an Raid system on it, only mirriors one
> drive. It has the Dell restore also. Is there anything I will need to do with
> the Raid system before or after the clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate?
> 2) Will the clean install wipe out my "Dell restore"? Since I did not ask
> for the disks when I ordered it. (I still have the warrenties upgraded
> them for the next 3 yrs).
> 3)I also have other programs on here and would like to know if they will
> still work with Vista such as: Sonic, Power DVD, Dell Network Assistant, as I
> am running an wireless system here at home using an Linksys Router, and PCI
> cards. Dell Printer(wireless adatper).
> 4) I also have a 500 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book
> Essential Edition hooked up through a USB port.(This is where I keep my
> Norton Ghost backups plus my pictures).
> I do know about backing up my files hince the 500 gig Book.
> Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. And many Thanks in advance for
> making my cross over smooth and pleasant! (keeping fingers crossed)

...winston

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
While my network functions with my router and wireless devices, they are
all compatible with Vista. I am not familiar with your devices..

My preferred route to Vista is via clean installs instead of over the
top. In a clean install, any devices that Vista doesn't provide need to
be provided by the user including network adapter drivers.

The experts for Vista, devices, and networking reside in the
windows.vista..networking_sharing newsgroup. They may be much better
suited to answer your network, adapter, and router questions.
At the least look that those devices manufacturer sites for Vista
compatibility and recommended drivers etc(Not all oems provide vista
compatible drivers for all prior hardware)

If you install Vista and wish to go back to XP(the safest and fastest
route back to XP is to wipe the drive, then you can use the Ghost 10
supplied cd(s) to restore an XP image saved on your external drive.

...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

> Ok here is what I have done...I bought the Vista & Office 2007
> throught
> Dell...I also spoke with a Tech. from there who looked at my
> system(s)..he
> has suggusted the video card for me, also stated "not to install it
> (vista)
> over the partion that has the Dell restore on it". I also upgraded my
> warranties with Dell just incase. The software that is not or may have
> some
> issues with Vista are not ones I do not mind loosing...I have been
> researching much of Vista since September of 2005(not saying I know
> everything about Vista and installing it)... which is when (2005) I
> first
> purchased my newer computers from Dell...I own three, two desktops and
> one
> laptop...I am going to be placing Vista on my Office desktop first to
> see if
> I like it or if I rather have the XP...I do want to Thank You for the
> advice
> on removing the external devices, and the the software. Which I was
> questioning myself about. The Ghost I have now is the Norton Ghost 10,
> so I
> can see now I will need to upgrade that too...to Norton Ghost 12. I
> was
> wondering if my ghost backup would work or not...(the ones on MyBook)
> which
> now I can see that they won't..I will have to clean those up as to not
> be
> tempted to use them..With that being said I have one more question...I
> am
> using a Linksys wireless card (PCI) so that my Linksys Router is not
> connected to my computer..will I need to remove that too before the
> install
> of Vista? Should I do a fresh set up and install of that Wireless
> Network
> System I have here running? Or can I leave it set upped as such? I
> just don't
> want any regrets with the switch over to spoil my judgement as to the
> Vista
> Program. I have heard many nightmares and that is why I have waited to
> do
> this...I am both nervous and excited to do this install. I have alot
> of
> others who are waiting on my thoughts and experience with my Vista
> switch
> over...as I tend to be the trend setter and computer repair and fix it
> around
> my neighborhood and with friends..I want to Thank You Very much for
> your time
> and suggestions as they were the most helpful to me.

John Barnes

Re: Getting ready to install Vista
You should be ok on the HD as Microsoft has HD drivers built into Vista I
don't understand your video card question. You will need to install updated
drivers after you install. Go ahead and add the memory, makes no difference
unless you are upgrading to 4gig.