Wireless Installation Help

Lorin

Wireless Installation Help
Win Vista Home Premium on new laptop.
New Compaq F572US laptop trying to connect to home Netgear WGU624 wireless
router. This was supposed to be a good router. I have been using it hard
wired for over a year.
Never tried wireless before so this is all new to me.
1) Router works fine with direct wire connection to ISP modem. Can surf.
2) router setup with no WEP (open) or any thing else shows up router name on
Win Vista but will not connect.
Says possible signal strength low, but shows ALL bars illuminated for signal
strength. Confusing. Also properties shows 36 MBPS connection, but it does
not work when I open IE. The laptop is about 12 feet away from the router
(direct line of site). Says it is connected. Sometimes when I retry all of
this, it says Connected with limited ... Limited to what, watching signal
strength bars is not my idea of limited (like slower speed or something
slightly usefull).
Router signal strength set to max.
3) If I enable WEP, the the router does not even show on the Vista setup.
Some other local wireless routers in the neighborhood do show up with strong
to weak signal strength.
I tried manual Vista Wireless install. Nothing ...
Yes, I have the "radiate" turned on as I can see the router in Vista setup
with no WEP.
I have tried various combinations of router setting, with or without codes
and at various key code lengths and without WEP, i.e. OPEN.
Nothing seems to work.
I do not think I have any other device near by that could be "interfering"
with my router.

Suggestions please.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Wireless Installation Help
Please visit http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp
and scoll down to "WGU624" and download the "Compatibility Firmware"
update.

NETGEAR Customer Support
http://kbserver.netgear.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Lorin" wrote:

[...]

Yikes !!!!
I downloaded and installed per instructions.
It said it installed correctly.
I did this from a WinXT SP2 PC.
There are two WinXP SP2 PCs and a printer hooked up, hard wired, on my home
network.
The Vista PC is a New Laptop that cannot connect yet.
I even did the "TEST" in the router webpage (192.168.1.1) and it did provide
an OK for all tests and I got the netgear webpage.
Then I closed the netgtear window.
I then tried to open IE on the WinXP SP2 PCs (both) and was refused.
The second PC complained about an IP conflict.
The ethernet printer failed to print (tied to the same network) from either
PC.
I booted router, modem, PCs.
I was able to get one web page to open the it refused to go to any other
webpage. Same on both PCs.
Still could not print.
I tried the Windows Fix that popped up.
Something about an IP address problem on the PC that was used to update the
router. That failed.
I tried to install the previous software version into the router.
It refused to do it.
I am now stuck with a disfunctional wireless router and no internet access.
I had to go to my Father's 40 miles away to send the help request again.
This all stinks.
What a mess.
I cannot do anything now!!!
Now what?????

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Please visit http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp
> and scoll down to "WGU624" and download the "Compatibility Firmware"
> update.
>
> NETGEAR Customer Support
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Lorin" wrote:
>
> Win Vista Home Premium on new laptop.
> New Compaq F572US laptop trying to connect to home Netgear WGU624 wireless
> router. This was supposed to be a good router. I have been using it hard
> wired for over a year.
> Never tried wireless before so this is all new to me.
> 1) Router works fine with direct wire connection to ISP modem. Can surf.
> 2) router setup with no WEP (open) or any thing else shows up router name on
> Win Vista but will not connect.
> Says possible signal strength low, but shows ALL bars illuminated for signal
> strength. Confusing. Also properties shows 36 MBPS connection, but it does
> not work when I open IE. The laptop is about 12 feet away from the router
> (direct line of site). Says it is connected. Sometimes when I retry all of
> this, it says Connected with limited ... Limited to what, watching signal
> strength bars is not my idea of limited (like slower speed or something
> slightly usefull).
> Router signal strength set to max.
> 3) If I enable WEP, the the router does not even show on the Vista setup.
> Some other local wireless routers in the neighborhood do show up with strong
> to weak signal strength.
> I tried manual Vista Wireless install. Nothing ...
> Yes, I have the "radiate" turned on as I can see the router in Vista setup
> with no WEP.
> I have tried various combinations of router setting, with or without codes
> and at various key code lengths and without WEP, i.e. OPEN.
> Nothing seems to work.
> I do not think I have any other device near by that could be "interfering"
> with my router.
>
> Suggestions please.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Wireless Installation Help
Contact NetGear Support via telephone:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101460.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Please visit http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp
> and scoll down to "WGU624" and download the "Compatibility Firmware"
> update.
>
> NETGEAR Customer Support
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Lorin" wrote:
>
> Win Vista Home Premium on new laptop.
> New Compaq F572US laptop trying to connect to home Netgear WGU624 wireless
> router. This was supposed to be a good router. I have been using it hard
> wired for over a year.
> Never tried wireless before so this is all new to me.
> 1) Router works fine with direct wire connection to ISP modem. Can surf.
> 2) router setup with no WEP (open) or any thing else shows up router name on
> Win Vista but will not connect.
> Says possible signal strength low, but shows ALL bars illuminated for signal
> strength. Confusing. Also properties shows 36 MBPS connection, but it does
> not work when I open IE. The laptop is about 12 feet away from the router
> (direct line of site). Says it is connected. Sometimes when I retry all of
> this, it says Connected with limited ... Limited to what, watching signal
> strength bars is not my idea of limited (like slower speed or something
> slightly usefull).
> Router signal strength set to max.
> 3) If I enable WEP, the the router does not even show on the Vista setup.
> Some other local wireless routers in the neighborhood do show up with strong
> to weak signal strength.
> I tried manual Vista Wireless install. Nothing ...
> Yes, I have the "radiate" turned on as I can see the router in Vista setup
> with no WEP.
> I have tried various combinations of router setting, with or without codes
> and at various key code lengths and without WEP, i.e. OPEN.
> Nothing seems to work.
> I do not think I have any other device near by that could be "interfering"
> with my router.
>
> Suggestions please.

Lorin

Re: Wireless Installation Help
You know, if these people made equipment that worked then i would not have to
run the gauntlet of tech support. Anyway, most people working tech support
are imbecils that read out of a book that never applies to the problem. I
have NEVER experencied a tech support person out there that knew what he/she
was doing. This is a disgrace to all citizens for the poor training and the
lack of good engineering by us. I'd rather buy something from another
manufacturer and let everyone know what crap is being sold.