error "cannot find bootmgr"

bob

error "cannot find bootmgr"
I just built a new computer. I have a sony Dru830A 18x DVD drive, Asus p5k
deluxe motherboard, intel quad core q6600 2.4gh processor, HIS Radeon 1650
pro graphics card and 2-500 GB Seagate sata HDD.

I purchased the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate (not the upgrade). I
have never installed any operating systems on either of my drives, however,
when I try to load Vista, I get a blank screen for approx. 15 seconds while
my DVD is reading and then a message saying that windows could not find
bootmgr. (the DVD is setup as 1st boot device)

What's a boy to do?
dean-dean

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Try checking the cable to your DVD. Any loose wires? Could the cable be
bad? It appears the computer is trying to boot the hard drive, which it
can't, of course.

"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built a new computer. I have a sony Dru830A 18x DVD drive, Asus p5k
> deluxe motherboard, intel quad core q6600 2.4gh processor, HIS Radeon
> 1650
> pro graphics card and 2-500 GB Seagate sata HDD.
>
> I purchased the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate (not the upgrade).
> have never installed any operating systems on either of my drives,
> however,
> when I try to load Vista, I get a blank screen for approx. 15 seconds
> while
> my DVD is reading and then a message saying that windows could not find
> bootmgr. (the DVD is setup as 1st boot device)
>
> What's a boy to do?

bob

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Thanks Dean, I checked cable connections and retried with the same results,
so I plugged the DVD into the second connector on the IDE cable. Now I get
the message "NTLDR cannot be found". I know from winnt and 2000 that this is
a boot file, and if it cannot be found on the Vista disc, where is it? I
tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit discs.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try checking the cable to your DVD. Any loose wires? Could the cable be
> bad? It appears the computer is trying to boot the hard drive, which it
> can't, of course.
>
> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just built a new computer. I have a sony Dru830A 18x DVD drive, Asus p5k
> > deluxe motherboard, intel quad core q6600 2.4gh processor, HIS Radeon
> > 1650
> > pro graphics card and 2-500 GB Seagate sata HDD.
> >
> > I purchased the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate (not the upgrade).
> > have never installed any operating systems on either of my drives,
> > however,
> > when I try to load Vista, I get a blank screen for approx. 15 seconds
> > while
> > my DVD is reading and then a message saying that windows could not find
> > bootmgr. (the DVD is setup as 1st boot device)
> >
> > What's a boy to do?

AJR

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Bob - just a guess here - but a suspect would be lack of SATA drivers.

"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built a new computer. I have a sony Dru830A 18x DVD drive, Asus p5k
> deluxe motherboard, intel quad core q6600 2.4gh processor, HIS Radeon
> 1650
> pro graphics card and 2-500 GB Seagate sata HDD.
>
> I purchased the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate (not the upgrade).
> have never installed any operating systems on either of my drives,
> however,
> when I try to load Vista, I get a blank screen for approx. 15 seconds
> while
> my DVD is reading and then a message saying that windows could not find
> bootmgr. (the DVD is setup as 1st boot device)
>
> What's a boy to do?

dean-dean

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
The prompt to "Press any key to boot from the DVD", should appear if the
DVD has been booted (it doesn't sound logical, but that aside, that's what
you should see if the BIOS has booted the DVD; in other words, once you see
that prompt, the DVD has been booted). Can you set the BIOS to,
temporarily, ONLY boot the DVD drive? It seems to be not wanting to read
the DVD drive first.

> Thanks Dean, I checked cable connections and retried with the same
> results,
> so I plugged the DVD into the second connector on the IDE cable. Now I
> get
> the message "NTLDR cannot be found". I know from winnt and 2000 that this
> is
> a boot file, and if it cannot be found on the Vista disc, where is it? I
> tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit discs.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Try checking the cable to your DVD. Any loose wires? Could the cable be
>> bad? It appears the computer is trying to boot the hard drive, which it
>> can't, of course.
>>
>> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just built a new computer. I have a sony Dru830A 18x DVD drive, Asus
>> >p5k
>> > deluxe motherboard, intel quad core q6600 2.4gh processor, HIS Radeon
>> > 1650
>> > pro graphics card and 2-500 GB Seagate sata HDD.
>> >
>> > I purchased the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate (not the
>> > upgrade).
>> > have never installed any operating systems on either of my drives,
>> > however,
>> > when I try to load Vista, I get a blank screen for approx. 15 seconds
>> > while
>> > my DVD is reading and then a message saying that windows could not find
>> > bootmgr. (the DVD is setup as 1st boot device)
>> >
>> > What's a boy to do?

John Barnes

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Not booted the DVD, but found a bootable DVD. If the 'any key' is not
pressed, control is passed to the HD.

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The prompt to "Press any key to boot from the DVD", should appear if the
> DVD has been booted (it doesn't sound logical, but that aside, that's what
> you should see if the BIOS has booted the DVD; in other words, once you
> see that prompt, the DVD has been booted). Can you set the BIOS to,
> temporarily, ONLY boot the DVD drive? It seems to be not wanting to read
> the DVD drive first.
>
> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Dean, I checked cable connections and retried with the same
>> results,
>> so I plugged the DVD into the second connector on the IDE cable. Now I
>> get
>> the message "NTLDR cannot be found". I know from winnt and 2000 that
>> this is
>> a boot file, and if it cannot be found on the Vista disc, where is it? I
>> tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit discs.
>>
>> "dean-dean" wrote:
>>
>>> Try checking the cable to your DVD. Any loose wires? Could the cable
>>> be
>>> bad? It appears the computer is trying to boot the hard drive, which it
>>> can't, of course.

dean-dean

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Well, that message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", comes from the
Windows DVD, not the BIOS (normally, the standard BIOS doesn't give such
messages, or offer options in this way; I have seen certain BIOS types which
have a function key that offers a choice between available drives, other
than using the BIOS Setup hotkey, but this isn't the case here). Windows
Install may not be completely ready to roll, but the DVD has been booted.
Too, messages may differ on different bootable DVD's, or floppies, for that
matter, depending on the proclivities of bootable media used. The OP is
apparently never getting that message from the Vista Install DVD, but
messages from his new hard drive(s), that have no operating systems.

Once "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" prompt appears, the BIOS, at
this point, is out of the equation, because it has booted the DVD. At this
prompt, you're actually now under Windows' purview, so to speak, and
whatever driver functionality it offers at this point. The "Press any
key..." is actually Windows offering you the option to begin installing
Windows from the DVD (or access Repair My Computer), or opt out.
If you don't "Press any key", then the F8 stuff is engaged, and yes, control
is passed to the hard drive; by Windows though, and not the BIOS...

If you are in the midst of an install, during a re-boot (and don't
"Press any key"), then normally the F8 stuff flashes by pretty quickly, or
is not seen at all, much like normal booting. Unless, of course, you hit
F8. If Windows is installed, you'll be sent on to normal Windows. (Or the
Pick Your OS screen, if you have a multi-boot situation).

In short, my point to the OP was that, while the message may be misleading,
the DVD has been booted. It's that message the OP wants to see, otherwise
it appears the BIOS is skipping past the DVD drive. There should be a bit
of loading-DVD-activity before the "Press any key..." prompt appears. That
activity is Windows getting itself set up, in part, to accommodate further
choices, including the one offered when you don't press a key...

> Not booted the DVD, but found a bootable DVD. If the 'any key' is not
> pressed, control is passed to the HD.
>
> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The prompt to "Press any key to boot from the DVD", should appear if the
>> DVD has been booted (it doesn't sound logical, but that aside, that's
>> what you should see if the BIOS has booted the DVD; in other words, once
>> you see that prompt, the DVD has been booted). Can you set the BIOS to,
>> temporarily, ONLY boot the DVD drive? It seems to be not wanting to read
>> the DVD drive first.
>>
>> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Dean, I checked cable connections and retried with the same
>>> results,
>>> so I plugged the DVD into the second connector on the IDE cable. Now I
>>> get
>>> the message "NTLDR cannot be found". I know from winnt and 2000 that
>>> this is
>>> a boot file, and if it cannot be found on the Vista disc, where is it?
>>> tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit discs.

John Barnes

Re: error "cannot find bootmgr"
Depends on how you define boot. The DVD has taken over control from the
BIOS but hasn't 'booted' to the DVD (else why the question). If you choose
not to boot to the DVD, it passes control to the MBR of the HD, and doesn't
use the priority in the BIOS. When you don't select 'any key' during the
install, it doesn't flash the F8 screen, it flashes a boot selection screen
(if you are lucky, as in mixed IDE/SATA situations, it may not find the
Vista boot program.

> [...]
> of loading-DVD-activity before the "Press any key..." prompt appears.
> That
> activity is Windows getting itself set up, in part, to accommodate further
> choices, including the one offered when you don't press a key...
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Not booted the DVD, but found a bootable DVD. If the 'any key' is not
>> pressed, control is passed to the HD.
>>
>> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The prompt to "Press any key to boot from the DVD", should appear if
>>> the
>>> DVD has been booted (it doesn't sound logical, but that aside, that's
>>> what you should see if the BIOS has booted the DVD; in other words, once
>>> you see that prompt, the DVD has been booted). Can you set the BIOS to,
>>> temporarily, ONLY boot the DVD drive? It seems to be not wanting to

C Leder

Error message
Had a friend that just built a computer with the same proble. Got the same error message. Trouble shot for 3 days. ended up that i started up swaping out parts from a computer that i could load vista on. The problem ended up being the Pioneer DVD-RW Drive. Replaced it with a Lite-On and it booted and loaded vista from the disk just fine. Good luck.
David B.

Re: Error message
What problem? What error message? You failed to quote the post your replying
to so we have no idea what your talking about.

--

----