Getting Vista in 64bit

pickler

Getting Vista in 64bit
ok i have purchased a HP Pavilion DV6000 series notebook that came preloaded
with Vista Home Premium (32bit OEMAct). I know that this notebook has an AMD
64bit processor and contacted HP to ask if i could install Vista 64bit. They
told me that it is an ok thing to do. So now that i wanna upgrade, i went to:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

however after Entering my Vista Home Premium OEMAct product key i get "No
Offer Available". I am lost! why am i not allowed to get this DVD? does
anyone know how to upgrade my 32bit Home Premium to a 64bit home premium?

Sincerly,
The Pickler

John Barnes

Re: Getting Vista in 64bit
You can't upgrade to 64-bit, but you can do a clean install. You can see if
HP will sell you a 64-bit system, which would have the advantage of having
their drivers, but with OEM product there is no 'offer'. You can buy an OEM
version at many computer product stores.

"pickler" <pickler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok i have purchased a HP Pavilion DV6000 series notebook that came
> preloaded
> with Vista Home Premium (32bit OEMAct). I know that this notebook has an
> AMD
> 64bit processor and contacted HP to ask if i could install Vista 64bit.
> They
> told me that it is an ok thing to do. So now that i wanna upgrade, i went
> to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
>
> however after Entering my Vista Home Premium OEMAct product key i get "No
> Offer Available". I am lost! why am i not allowed to get this DVD? does
> anyone know how to upgrade my 32bit Home Premium to a 64bit home premium?
>
> Sincerly,
> The Pickler

pickler

Re: Getting Vista in 64bit
ok so the only way i can get vista home premium 64bit is to purchase one? is
that what you mean?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You can't upgrade to 64-bit, but you can do a clean install. You can see if
> HP will sell you a 64-bit system, which would have the advantage of having
> their drivers, but with OEM product there is no 'offer'. You can buy an OEM
> version at many computer product stores.
>
> "pickler" <pickler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok i have purchased a HP Pavilion DV6000 series notebook that came
> > preloaded
> > with Vista Home Premium (32bit OEMAct). I know that this notebook has an
> > AMD
> > 64bit processor and contacted HP to ask if i could install Vista 64bit.
> > They
> > told me that it is an ok thing to do. So now that i wanna upgrade, i went
> > to:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
> >
> > however after Entering my Vista Home Premium OEMAct product key i get "No
> > Offer Available". I am lost! why am i not allowed to get this DVD? does
> > anyone know how to upgrade my 32bit Home Premium to a 64bit home premium?
> >
> > Sincerly,
> > The Pickler

pickler

Re: Getting Vista in 64bit
and also will my product key work with a 64bit version that i will purchase?

"pickler" wrote:

> ok so the only way i can get vista home premium 64bit is to purchase one? is
> that what you mean?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > You can't upgrade to 64-bit, but you can do a clean install. You can see if
> > HP will sell you a 64-bit system, which would have the advantage of having
> > their drivers, but with OEM product there is no 'offer'. You can buy an OEM
> > version at many computer product stores.
> >
> > "pickler" <pickler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > ok i have purchased a HP Pavilion DV6000 series notebook that came
> > > preloaded
> > > with Vista Home Premium (32bit OEMAct). I know that this notebook has an
> > > AMD
> > > 64bit processor and contacted HP to ask if i could install Vista 64bit.
> > > They
> > > told me that it is an ok thing to do. So now that i wanna upgrade, i went
> > > to:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
> > >
> > > however after Entering my Vista Home Premium OEMAct product key i get "No
> > > Offer Available". I am lost! why am i not allowed to get this DVD? does
> > > anyone know how to upgrade my 32bit Home Premium to a 64bit home premium?
> > >
> > > Sincerly,
> > > The Pickler

John Barnes

Re: Getting Vista in 64bit
Your best option is to see what HP will do for you. If they won't assist
you, the Vista you buy will come with its own product key. The product key
that came with your oem version won't work on the new one even if you buy an
oem from a computer store. Make sure you really need to do this as unless
you have more than 4gig ram or programs that are written specifically for
64-bit, and running 64-bit on a notebook? Do make sure that HP has drivers
for everything in the notebook as sound is often not well supported and HP
has had a very poor record of providing 64-bit support since the early days
of XP64.