Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion

Paul VU

Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion
Does any one know whether it's possible to prevent XP from deleting Vista
System Restore data when booting into XP?
PaulB

RE: Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion
Yes it is possible. You must keep XP from seeing the Vista partition. Some
ways to do this are: Using a third party boot manager to hide the Vista
partition when you boot XP. Encrpyt the vista partition with Bitlocker (only
available in Vista ultimate).
Since I have Vista on another drive, I disable that drive in XP. There may
be other ways as well.
--
Paul

"Paul VU" wrote:

> Does any one know whether it's possible to prevent XP from deleting Vista
> System Restore data when booting into XP?

Bert Kinney

Re: Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion
Hi Paul,

You will find two solutions on the following page.
Dual Booting Windows Vista & Windows XP:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Paul VU wrote:
> Does any one know whether it's possible to prevent XP from deleting Vista
> System Restore data when booting into XP?

Paul VU

RE: Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion
Thanks Paul - subsequent to my post I came across info which suggested that a
3rd party boot manager might offer the best solution. On further reflection
however I've decided that it's perhaps time to sever the XP umbilical cord -
Vista seems to be capable of running all the apps and hardware I have, and
the one game it wont run, I'll simply play off a spare machine.
Best

"PaulB" wrote:

> Yes it is possible. You must keep XP from seeing the Vista partition. Some
> ways to do this are: Using a third party boot manager to hide the Vista
> partition when you boot XP. Encrpyt the vista partition with Bitlocker (only
> available in Vista ultimate).
> Since I have Vista on another drive, I disable that drive in XP. There may
> be other ways as well.
> --
> Paul
>

> "Paul VU" wrote:
>
> > Does any one know whether it's possible to prevent XP from deleting Vista
> > System Restore data when booting into XP?

Paul VU

Re: Dual Boot and System Restore Data Deletion
Thanks Bert for the reference to the article which everyone contemplating a
dual boot system should read. As you may have seen in my reply to PaulB I've
decided that I can actually live without my XP 'security blanket'. I think
it's worth the effort to do a clean install so am not anticipating any
problems.
Best
Paul