Multiple Computers

Calvin

Multiple Computers
I had Vista Ultimate on my desktop Computer and when I installed it on my
laptop, it would not let me activate. Is there a way I could make it work
because it is really annoying.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Multiple Computers
Windows Vista is licensed for one computer installation only.
In order to activate your additional installation on your laptop,
you'll need to purchase a second Windows Vista Ultimate license.

Ordering Additional Licenses for Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Calvin" wrote:

I had Vista Ultimate on my desktop Computer and when I installed it on my
laptop, it would not let me activate. Is there a way I could make it work
because it is really annoying.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Multiple Computers
You can only use one copy of the software on a single pc. If you have two
pcs then you need to buy two copies of Vista.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had Vista Ultimate on my desktop Computer and when I installed it on my
> laptop, it would not let me activate. Is there a way I could make it work
> because it is really annoying.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Multiple Computers
Calvin wrote:
> I had Vista Ultimate on my desktop Computer and when I installed it on my
> laptop, it would not let me activate. Is there a way I could make it work
> because it is really annoying.

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

If you have Vista Ultimate, it's sometimes possible to qualify for
additional licenses, at a reduced cost:

Windows Vista: Windows Vista Family Discount
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ydiscount.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Doug

Re: Multiple Computers
I'm assuming when you said had, that you have removed it from your desktop.
In that case you should be able
to install it on your laptop. You may have to activate through the activate
by phone option. Otherwise one licence,
one computer.

Doug