computer turns on at 3a.m.

bmall

computer turns on at 3a.m.
How do I get my computer to stop turning on at 3a.m. every day
Paul Smith

Re: computer turns on at 3a.m.

"bmall" <bmall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:96B65C73-1684-4C20-B38F-D640E8ECB32E@microsoft.com...
> How do I get my computer to stop turning on at 3a.m. every day

It installs any new updates from Windows Update at 03:00. Assuming its
properly configured it should go back to sleep once its finished.

You can change this behavior by going to Control Panel > Security > Windows
Update > Change settings.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

John Barnes

Re: computer turns on at 3a.m.
Check your BIOS for any conditions that allow the computer to turn on. You
might test to see if you change the time that Vista Update checks for
updates, you could set it for another time.

"bmall" <bmall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get my computer to stop turning on at 3a.m. every day

bmall

Re: computer turns on at 3a.m.
There is some way to make yourcomputerstartup at the same time every day and
I think that is what is happening but I dont know how to change it

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Check your BIOS for any conditions that allow the computer to turn on. You
> might test to see if you change the time that Vista Update checks for
> updates, you could set it for another time.
>
> "bmall" <bmall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get my computer to stop turning on at 3a.m. every day

JW

Re: computer turns on at 3a.m.
Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/SystemTools/Task Scheduler
and look for tasks scheduled to start when you don't want them to and
disable them or change their start time.
> There is some way to make yourcomputerstartup at the same time every day
> and
> I think that is what is happening but I dont know how to change it
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Check your BIOS for any conditions that allow the computer to turn on.
>> You
>> might test to see if you change the time that Vista Update checks for
>> updates, you could set it for another time.
>>
>> "bmall" <bmall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I get my computer to stop turning on at 3a.m. every day

John Barnes

Re: computer turns on at 3a.m.
I would also go into your BIOS and turn off anything which allows your
computer to be turned on, which you aren't in control of. Many BIOS have a
feature that turns on the computer at a specific time. I use the feature to
turn on my computer overnight to do downloads during a time that doesn't
count against my daily allowed bandwidth.
Check your user manual to see how to get into the BIOS and see what is
allowed to turn on your computer.