Vista Home Premium and Office 2007

SouthernDancer23

Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
Hello! I've posted the following under the Office forum but haven't received
any answers there soooooo...I'm trying it here because I actually think it's
more of an issue with Vista than with Office:

I just installed the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business as an upgrade to
Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on Windows Vista Home Premium.

The installation seemed to go just fine, however, every time any office 2007
application (except Outlook which just 'magically' stopped doing it) opens I
get "please wait while Windows configures Office Small Business 2007..."
Excel gives me an error about stdole32.tlb (for me it only says stdole32.tlb
and an ok button. Nothing about not being registered).

Tons of articles on-line say that having two versions of Office installed on
Vista might be causing the problem...so.....I uninstalled Office 2000 Premium
and then ran the repair feature on the Office 2007 CD but the Office 2007
programs are still throwing up the "please wait" windows. As this takes 3 -
5 minutes every single time I try to open one of these programs, it is
driving me BONKERS! Once I get past this installer problem, the programs
seem to work fine.

Also, when I go into Set Default Programs in the Control Panel, the only one
of the new Office 2007 programs that shows up is Outlook so it's obvious that
Windows doesn't 'think' that the other programs (the ones throwing up the
installer) are, in fact, actually installed.

I thought I would do a clean install of Office 2007 but I purchased the
upgrade so I have to have Office 2000 already installed for it to work. On
advice from another forum, I tried uninstalling both Office 2000 and Office
2007 and then only reinstalling Office 2007, however, I'm still experiencing
the same problems (except NOW Outlook is ALSO running the installer at each
initiation). If there's a patch or, at the very least, a tech article that
tells how to SOLVE the problem but I can't seem to find one.

If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate your
response.

THANKS!

Doug

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
Did you try right clicking the setup application and use "run as
administrator" when you installed Office 2007? If not, start over. Remove
any other office installs and try it again. Office 2007 should just ask for
the CD from Office 2000 as proof of upgrade eligibility. Not saying that
this is a surefire fix for you but it has worked for me whenever I had
installation problems.

Doug

"SouthernDancer23" <SouthernDancer23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:87C8BBC6-A206-4E8E-9CFF-0276E63BF7D2@microsoft.com...

Peter Foldes

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

--
Peter

"SouthernDancer23" <SouthernDancer23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87C8BBC6-A206-4E8E-9CFF-0276E63BF7D2@microsoft.com...
> Hello! I've posted the following under the Office forum but haven't received
> any answers there soooooo...I'm trying it here because I actually think it's
> more of an issue with Vista than with Office:
>
> I just installed the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business as an upgrade to
> Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> The installation seemed to go just fine, however, every time any office 2007
> application (except Outlook which just 'magically' stopped doing it) opens I
> get "please wait while Windows configures Office Small Business 2007..."
> Excel gives me an error about stdole32.tlb (for me it only says stdole32.tlb
> and an ok button. Nothing about not being registered).
>
> Tons of articles on-line say that having two versions of Office installed on
> Vista might be causing the problem...so.....I uninstalled Office 2000 Premium
> and then ran the repair feature on the Office 2007 CD but the Office 2007
> programs are still throwing up the "please wait" windows. As this takes 3 -
> 5 minutes every single time I try to open one of these programs, it is
> driving me BONKERS! Once I get past this installer problem, the programs
> seem to work fine.
>
> Also, when I go into Set Default Programs in the Control Panel, the only one
> of the new Office 2007 programs that shows up is Outlook so it's obvious that
> Windows doesn't 'think' that the other programs (the ones throwing up the
> installer) are, in fact, actually installed.
>
> I thought I would do a clean install of Office 2007 but I purchased the
> upgrade so I have to have Office 2000 already installed for it to work. On
> advice from another forum, I tried uninstalling both Office 2000 and Office
> 2007 and then only reinstalling Office 2007, however, I'm still experiencing
> the same problems (except NOW Outlook is ALSO running the installer at each
> initiation). If there's a patch or, at the very least, a tech article that
> tells how to SOLVE the problem but I can't seem to find one.
>
> If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate your
> response.
>
> THANKS!

SouthernDancer23

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
Thank you for the advice, however, the ReadMe files for that application say
that it will not work for Office 2007.

Theresa

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>
> --
> Peter

> "SouthernDancer23" <SouthernDancer23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87C8BBC6-A206-4E8E-9CFF-0276E63BF7D2@microsoft.com...
> > Hello! I've posted the following under the Office forum but haven't received
> > any answers there soooooo...I'm trying it here because I actually think it's
> > more of an issue with Vista than with Office:
> >
> > I just installed the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business as an upgrade to
> > Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on Windows Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > The installation seemed to go just fine, however, every time any office 2007
> > application (except Outlook which just 'magically' stopped doing it) opens I
> > get "please wait while Windows configures Office Small Business 2007..."
> > Excel gives me an error about stdole32.tlb (for me it only says stdole32.tlb
> > and an ok button. Nothing about not being registered).
> >
> > Tons of articles on-line say that having two versions of Office installed on
> > Vista might be causing the problem...so.....I uninstalled Office 2000 Premium
> > and then ran the repair feature on the Office 2007 CD but the Office 2007
> > programs are still throwing up the "please wait" windows. As this takes 3 -
> > 5 minutes every single time I try to open one of these programs, it is
> > driving me BONKERS! Once I get past this installer problem, the programs
> > seem to work fine.
> >
> > Also, when I go into Set Default Programs in the Control Panel, the only one
> > of the new Office 2007 programs that shows up is Outlook so it's obvious that
> > Windows doesn't 'think' that the other programs (the ones throwing up the
> > installer) are, in fact, actually installed.
> >
> > I thought I would do a clean install of Office 2007 but I purchased the
> > upgrade so I have to have Office 2000 already installed for it to work. On
> > advice from another forum, I tried uninstalling both Office 2000 and Office
> > 2007 and then only reinstalling Office 2007, however, I'm still experiencing
> > the same problems (except NOW Outlook is ALSO running the installer at each
> > initiation). If there's a patch or, at the very least, a tech article that
> > tells how to SOLVE the problem but I can't seem to find one.
> >
> > If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate your
> > response.
> >
> > THANKS!

SouthernDancer23

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
Thank you for the advice. Just finished trying it and it didn't solve the
problem.....Back to square one.

"Doug" wrote:

> [...]
> > that
> > Windows doesn't 'think' that the other programs (the ones throwing up the
> > installer) are, in fact, actually installed.
> >
> > I thought I would do a clean install of Office 2007 but I purchased the
> > upgrade so I have to have Office 2000 already installed for it to work. On
> > advice from another forum, I tried uninstalling both Office 2000 and
> > Office
> > 2007 and then only reinstalling Office 2007, however, I'm still
> > experiencing
> > the same problems (except NOW Outlook is ALSO running the installer at
> > each
> > initiation). If there's a patch or, at the very least, a tech article
> > that
> > tells how to SOLVE the problem but I can't seem to find one.
> >
> > If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate

Peter Foldes

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
It does work For Office 2007. Just use it. Has not been updated for 2007 yet

--
Peter

"SouthernDancer23" <SouthernDancer23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2DE6B3C-C686-44BE-A144-5D65F9CE62EE@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for the advice, however, the ReadMe files for that application say
> that it will not work for Office 2007.
>
> Theresa
>
> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "SouthernDancer23" <SouthernDancer23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87C8BBC6-A206-4E8E-9CFF-0276E63BF7D2@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello! I've posted the following under the Office forum but haven't received
>> > any answers there soooooo...I'm trying it here because I actually think it's
>> > more of an issue with Vista than with Office:
>> >
>> > I just installed the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business as an upgrade to
>> > Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on Windows Vista Home Premium.
>> >
>> > The installation seemed to go just fine, however, every time any office 2007
>> > application (except Outlook which just 'magically' stopped doing it) opens I
>> > get "please wait while Windows configures Office Small Business 2007..."
>> > Excel gives me an error about stdole32.tlb (for me it only says stdole32.tlb
>> > and an ok button. Nothing about not being registered).
>> >
>> > Tons of articles on-line say that having two versions of Office installed on
>> > Vista might be causing the problem...so.....I uninstalled Office 2000 Premium
>> > and then ran the repair feature on the Office 2007 CD but the Office 2007
>> > programs are still throwing up the "please wait" windows. As this takes 3 -
>> > 5 minutes every single time I try to open one of these programs, it is
>> > driving me BONKERS! Once I get past this installer problem, the programs
>> > seem to work fine.
>> >
>> > Also, when I go into Set Default Programs in the Control Panel, the only one
>> > of the new Office 2007 programs that shows up is Outlook so it's obvious that
>> > Windows doesn't 'think' that the other programs (the ones throwing up the
>> > installer) are, in fact, actually installed.
>> >
>> > I thought I would do a clean install of Office 2007 but I purchased the
>> > upgrade so I have to have Office 2000 already installed for it to work. On
>> > advice from another forum, I tried uninstalling both Office 2000 and Office
>> > 2007 and then only reinstalling Office 2007, however, I'm still experiencing
>> > the same problems (except NOW Outlook is ALSO running the installer at each
>> > initiation). If there's a patch or, at the very least, a tech article that
>> > tells how to SOLVE the problem but I can't seem to find one.
>> >
>> > If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, I would GREATLY appreciate your
>> > response.
>> >
>> > THANKS!

SouthernDancer23

Re: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007
Peter,

Okay, I've downloaded and run this. I tried running it with Office 2007
still installed with no improvement and then I tried uninstalling Office
2007, re-running this program and then reinstalling Office 2007. Still
getting all the same problems with the installer launching.

Also, something else that's happening - Outlook under my ' user account' is
no longer launching the installer at all, however, when my husband signs into
his user account, Outlook launches the installer for every message!!

Anything else you may be able to think of to try? It just seems like even
though the programs ARE actually installed, that Vista just isn't recognizing
them. As I noted earlier, the only Office 2007 program that appears under my
'Default Programs" selections is Outlook. Work, Excel, etc. don't appear
anywhere and even in my file types, I had to manually add .doc and .xls to
associate them with the proper programs after installing Office 2007.

Theresa goin_too_fast@hotmail.com