Vista Installation

DJE

Vista Installation
I own a ACER aspire SA80 which has suffered a complete hard drive failure(no
backup), I have installed a new Seagate SATA 250Gb HD, I am trying to install
Vista 32bit premium but get the same problem each time the install process
progresses beyond partiton selecton, the same message never seems to occur
but is always related to memory. "an attemtpt was made to write to read only
memory" or "memory_management" the "tech info code" also differs each time.
This is very frustrating, any assistance would be appreciated.
Juan Perez

Re: Vista Installation
Hi:
If you have memory problem, you have a testing tool for memory, in the boot
menu of the vista DVD. Otherwise I advise you to get in contact with the
ACER support.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez

"DJE" <DJE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news44A01D5-30AD-49A1-910D-850DB77FA8D7@microsoft.com...
>I own a ACER aspire SA80 which has suffered a complete hard drive
>failure(no
> backup), I have installed a new Seagate SATA 250Gb HD, I am trying to
> install
> Vista 32bit premium but get the same problem each time the install process
> progresses beyond partiton selecton, the same message never seems to occur
> but is always related to memory. "an attemtpt was made to write to read
> only
> memory" or "memory_management" the "tech info code" also differs each
> time.
> This is very frustrating, any assistance would be appreciated.

dean-dean

Re: Vista Installation
Have you installed the driver for the SATA controller?

Maybe this article will help:

Installing RAID/SATA Drivers
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm

"DJE" <DJE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news44A01D5-30AD-49A1-910D-850DB77FA8D7@microsoft.com...
>I own a ACER aspire SA80 which has suffered a complete hard drive
>failure(no
> backup), I have installed a new Seagate SATA 250Gb HD, I am trying to
> install
> Vista 32bit premium but get the same problem each time the install process
> progresses beyond partiton selecton, the same message never seems to occur
> but is always related to memory. "an attemtpt was made to write to read
> only
> memory" or "memory_management" the "tech info code" also differs each
> time.
> This is very frustrating, any assistance would be appreciated.

DJE

RE: Vista Installation
Thanks Dean/Juan for your comments, according to Seagate, SATA HD's do not
require a driver, the controller is in-built on the mother board, I have
researched this further and have not been able to find any information that
will assist. Through the Acer webb site it lists a file "Acer upgrade Wizard"
which is for Vista upgrades, it is intended to update bios, drivers etc,
prior to udating to Vista, but have had no success downloading the file,
still a problem!
Thanks Dave

"DJE" wrote:

> I own a ACER aspire SA80 which has suffered a complete hard drive failure(no
> backup), I have installed a new Seagate SATA 250Gb HD, I am trying to install
> Vista 32bit premium but get the same problem each time the install process
> progresses beyond partiton selecton, the same message never seems to occur
> but is always related to memory. "an attemtpt was made to write to read only
> memory" or "memory_management" the "tech info code" also differs each time.
> This is very frustrating, any assistance would be appreciated.

dean-dean

Re: Vista Installation
From my understanding of it, the "Acer upgrade Wizard" is something you do
after Vista is installed. This would make sense, since drivers for Vista
may not be compatible with XP. Apparently, according to Acer, if there's a
BIOS Update for your model, you should do that, before installing Vista
(noting that it MUST be for your particular model; not any BIOS upgrade will
do):

http://global.acer.com/support/winvista/faq.htm#q0001

The only driver you may need to supply is one for the SATA controller. No,
Seagate won't have that driver. Yes, the controller is built into the
motherboard, and may be available from your motherboard manufacturer. It
may, or may not be, an issue with your particular controller regarding your
SATA hard drive. Other Vista hardware drivers should be installed after
Vista is installed. Just to be clear, you can update drivers for XP that
are compatible with XP BEFORE Vista is installed, but only upgrade drivers
compatible with Vista AFTER Vista is installed. Note which drivers are for
Vista, once installed and running, and which are for XP:

http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdr...TOKEN=82822150

Too, you may want to run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool found on the
Vista Install DVD. Here's how:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial146.html

> Thanks Dean/Juan for your comments, according to Seagate, SATA HD's do not
> require a driver, the controller is in-built on the mother board, I have
> researched this further and have not been able to find any information
> that
> will assist. Through the Acer webb site it lists a file "Acer upgrade
> Wizard"
> which is for Vista upgrades, it is intended to update bios, drivers etc,
> prior to udating to Vista, but have had no success downloading the file,
> still a problem!
> Thanks Dave
>
> "DJE" wrote:
>
>> I own a ACER aspire SA80 which has suffered a complete hard drive
>> failure(no
>> backup), I have installed a new Seagate SATA 250Gb HD, I am trying to
>> install
>> Vista 32bit premium but get the same problem each time the install
>> process
>> progresses beyond partiton selecton, the same message never seems to
>> occur
>> but is always related to memory. "an attemtpt was made to write to read
>> only
>> memory" or "memory_management" the "tech info code" also differs each
>> time.
>> This is very frustrating, any assistance would be appreciated.

DJE

Re: Vista Installation
Thanks Dean,
After a lot of trial and error the culprit was a faulty RAM stick, after
removal (1 gig down to 500mb) vista installed ok, just one small query, 2
drives are now showing the boot drive at 74 gig and a system drive at 160 gig
the issue is, the system drive has allocated 104 gig to something? 56 gig
free, viewed through explorer the drive is completely empty, any ideas?

Thanks