Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32

Robert V

Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
I have Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade which came with both 64 and 32 bit
versions. I installed the 32 bit version over Windows XP Home. I would like
to try the 64 bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version over the 32 bit
version and if so how do I convert the licesene. What would be the best way
to install the 64 bit version.
--
RLVaughn
Richard G. Harper

Re: Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
No, you cannot install in this manner; I'm not sure you have a supported
upgrade option available to you since you can't upgrade any 32-bit OS to a
64-bit OS.

"Robert V" <RobertV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade which came with both 64 and 32 bit
> versions. I installed the 32 bit version over Windows XP Home. I would
> like
> to try the 64 bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version over the 32
> bit
> version and if so how do I convert the licesene. What would be the best
> way
> to install the 64 bit version.
> --
> RLVaughn

JW

Re: Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
I think you are out of luck for a simple upgrade since you did not install
the 64Bit version out of the shoot when you upgraded from XP Home.
"Robert V" <RobertV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade which came with both 64 and 32 bit
> versions. I installed the 32 bit version over Windows XP Home. I would
> like
> to try the 64 bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version over the 32
> bit
> version and if so how do I convert the licesene. What would be the best
> way
> to install the 64 bit version.
> --
> RLVaughn

John Barnes

Re: Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
As mentioned you have to do a clean custom install of the 64-bit version.
You can use Windows Easy Transfer (if it works for you) to transfer your
data and settings. You will have to reinstall all your programs. If you
don't have a need for 64-bit, I suggest you stick with 32-bit. If you do
convert, make sure FIRST that you have 64-bit drivers available for ALL your
hardware, internal and external and that all your programs are going to run
on the 64-bit platform or realise you may have to replace hardware and
software. The same license will work with BOTH versions, though only one at
a time and you will have to use telephone install as the license will be 'in
use' . Good luck.

"Robert V" <RobertV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade which came with both 64 and 32 bit
> versions. I installed the 32 bit version over Windows XP Home. I would
> like
> to try the 64 bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version over the 32
> bit
> version and if so how do I convert the licesene. What would be the best
> way
> to install the 64 bit version.
> --
> RLVaughn

Mark

RE: Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
I'm getting "ready" to do this very same upgrade path.
According to MS Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

1. Make a complete backup before you start!
2. Verify the backup works!
(In case you don't have the driver support or installation just
ain't working.)
3. Wipe the installation hard drive and re-install XP (32-bit)
(I don't think you have to activate it.)
4. Boot from the 64-bit Vista DVD and select Custom Install.
(Use the same Product Key you used for 32-bit.)

Best of luck!

"Robert V" wrote:

> I have Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade which came with both 64 and 32 bit
> versions. I installed the 32 bit version over Windows XP Home. I would like
> to try the 64 bit version. Can I install the 64 bit version over the 32 bit
> version and if so how do I convert the licesene. What would be the best way
> to install the 64 bit version.
> --
> RLVaughn

Robert V

RE: Installing Vista 64 after installing Vista 32
I made the change over the weekend. I have not had any problems with drivers
or installation of programs I use. I contacted Microsoft and got my
activation switched to the Vista Ultimate 64 bit. As of now I am happy with
it. There seems to be a lot more support out there than I have been reading
in the magazines and on the net.
--
RLVaughn