I uninstall program, but Security Center still reports it

eXplorer

I uninstall program, but Security Center still reports it
I have Vista Business and, from security reasons (!? not too much clever) I
install PC Tools Firewall Plus, Vista compatible version. Everything works
fine but when I decide to make home network it start to make some trouble. So
I uninstall it. It doesn't appear anymore in "programs and features", it
doesn't have folder in Program files. Everything was OK. But, Security center
still detects that "PC Tools Firewall Plus reports that it is currently
turned on". What should I do? I can't activate Windows firewall (conflict
problem).
Malke

Re: I uninstall program, but Security Center still reports it
eXplorer wrote:
> I have Vista Business and, from security reasons (!? not too much clever) I
> install PC Tools Firewall Plus, Vista compatible version. Everything works
> fine but when I decide to make home network it start to make some trouble. So
> I uninstall it. It doesn't appear anymore in "programs and features", it
> doesn't have folder in Program files. Everything was OK. But, Security center
> still detects that "PC Tools Firewall Plus reports that it is currently
> turned on". What should I do? I can't activate Windows firewall (conflict
> problem).

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands
to the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for
the services to shut down. Run the command again. You actually may
have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.
Reboot your system.

If for some reason you get that the repository is good, try the XP method:

Start>Run>cmd [enter] [Note: you need to run cmd elevated as above]
net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]

It may take a minute or so to complete while WMI rebuilds the database.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
eXplorer

Re: I uninstall program, but Security Center still reports it
Hello Malke,

I try both ways. When I try first solution, it response with "WMI repository
is consistent". I try second one, but when I type "ren repository
repository.old" answer was "access denied". Any other idea?

eXplorer wrote:
> Hello Malke,
>
> I try both ways. When I try first solution, it response with "WMI repository
> is consistent". I try second one, but when I type "ren repository
> repository.old" answer was "access denied". Any other idea?

If you got "access denied", you didn't follow the instructions to run
cmd elevated. Try again.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
eXplorer

Re: I uninstall program, but Security Center still reports it
Thank you!

eXplorer wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> eXplorer wrote:
>>> Hello Malke,
>>>
>>> I try both ways. When I try first solution, it response with "WMI repository
>>> is consistent". I try second one, but when I type "ren repository
>>> repository.old" answer was "access denied". Any other idea?

>> If you got "access denied", you didn't follow the instructions to run
>> cmd elevated. Try again.

You're welcome.

Malke