Installing a Readyboost device. (PNY Attache 4GB)

Lakesidezx

Installing a Readyboost device. (PNY Attache 4GB)
Okay, after vista reported that my Memorex traveldrive (4GB) is
incompatible, I just returned it to the store and bought a PNY 4(GB) attache
device.

Vista reported this as incompatible for ReadyBoost.
But heres what I noted.....

I went into windows explorer and right clicked on the USB PNY device and
chose the readyboost tab, then test again, each time it failed the test, but
what I noted was that the screen behind the properties screen (the windows
explorer screen) was writing a .tmp file to the "H" hard drive, which is a
physical hard drive on my system and the PNY device is listed at location
G:\

So what was happening is that windows for some unknown reason seemed to be
writing it's temp testing file to one of my physical hard drives instead of
the actual usb flash device.

The work around for myself was to make sure that I had highlighted the G:\
(PNY USB flash device) AND then right click on it and choose properties then
the readyboost tab then test again and sure enough it is compatible.

This makes me think that *perhaps* the same thing was happening with the
Memorex traveldrive as well that I returned to the store, but I can't be
certain since I already returned it.

Just an FYI for anyone else that has a problem with the PNY 4GB attache
flash device.

Dustin Harper

Re: Installing a Readyboost device. (PNY Attache 4GB)
Good information. Thanks!

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

Lakesidezx wrote:
> Okay, after vista reported that my Memorex traveldrive (4GB) is
> incompatible, I just returned it to the store and bought a PNY 4(GB)
> attache device.
>
> Vista reported this as incompatible for ReadyBoost.
> But heres what I noted.....
>
> I went into windows explorer and right clicked on the USB PNY device and
> chose the readyboost tab, then test again, each time it failed the test,
> but what I noted was that the screen behind the properties screen (the
> windows explorer screen) was writing a .tmp file to the "H" hard drive,
> which is a physical hard drive on my system and the PNY device is listed
> at location G:\
>
> So what was happening is that windows for some unknown reason seemed to
> be writing it's temp testing file to one of my physical hard drives
> instead of the actual usb flash device.
>
> The work around for myself was to make sure that I had highlighted the
> G:\ (PNY USB flash device) AND then right click on it and choose
> properties then the readyboost tab then test again and sure enough it is
> compatible.
>
> This makes me think that *perhaps* the same thing was happening with the
> Memorex traveldrive as well that I returned to the store, but I can't be
> certain since I already returned it.
>
> Just an FYI for anyone else that has a problem with the PNY 4GB attache
> flash device.

Bret Butcher

Lakesidezx wrote:
> Okay, after vista reported that my Memorex traveldrive (4GB) is
> incompatible, I just returned it to the store and bought a PNY 4(GB)
> attache device.
>
> Vista reported this as incompatible for ReadyBoost.
> But heres what I noted.....
>
> I went into windows explorer and right clicked on the USB PNY device and
> chose the readyboost tab, then test again, each time it failed the test,
> but what I noted was that the screen behind the properties screen (the
> windows explorer screen) was writing a .tmp file to the "H" hard drive,
> which is a physical hard drive on my system and the PNY device is listed
> at location G:\
>
> So what was happening is that windows for some unknown reason seemed to
> be writing it's temp testing file to one of my physical hard drives
> instead of the actual usb flash device.
>
> The work around for myself was to make sure that I had highlighted the
> G:\ (PNY USB flash device) AND then right click on it and choose
> properties then the readyboost tab then test again and sure enough it is
> compatible.
>
> This makes me think that *perhaps* the same thing was happening with the
> Memorex traveldrive as well that I returned to the store, but I can't be
> certain since I already returned it.
>
> Just an FYI for anyone else that has a problem with the PNY 4GB attache
> flash device.

I'll have to give this a try. Vista reported my Pny 2gb as incompatible.
=?Utf-8?B?RHJlYW1zYXllcg==?=

RE: Installing a Readyboost device. (PNY Attache 4GB)
The test does seem finicky. My Kingstom 1GB flash drive(which is supposedly
compatible) tested ok, then it tested not ok. then ok, then not ok. I read
another post somewhere where somebody noted that the format of the drive
might matter. Given that the boost in performance with a flash drive is
pretty much nothing, why anybody would bother is beyond me. I think this
whole Readyboost thing is just a big scam to sell more flash drives.