vista got reduced hardware ability?

tonj

vista got reduced hardware ability?
I find it strange that windows vista (Home Premium) can't pick up my video hardware like Windows XP did.
I have a Fly DVB TV PCI card and in Vista Windows Movie Maker doesn't give any option to choose it as a capture source. All it
lists is import 'From digital video camera', there's no other option. In Windows XP WMM listed all my video hardware.
The Fly card does work in Windows Vista but the only programs that make it work are Dscaler version 4.1.15 and Splitcam version
4.2. I also tried Windows Media Encoder 9 in Vista and that won't produce an image with the Fly card either - just a black preview
screen. Does Windows Vista have reduced video abilities compared with Windows XP?

Dustin Harper

Re: vista got reduced hardware ability?
No, that would be a driver issue. You might check the manufacturer for
updated Vista drivers.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

tonj wrote:
> I find it strange that windows vista (Home Premium) can't pick up my video hardware like Windows XP did.
> I have a Fly DVB TV PCI card and in Vista Windows Movie Maker doesn't give any option to choose it as a capture source. All it
> lists is import 'From digital video camera', there's no other option. In Windows XP WMM listed all my video hardware.
> The Fly card does work in Windows Vista but the only programs that make it work are Dscaler version 4.1.15 and Splitcam version
> 4.2. I also tried Windows Media Encoder 9 in Vista and that won't produce an image with the Fly card either - just a black preview
> screen. Does Windows Vista have reduced video abilities compared with Windows XP?

Richard Urban

Re: vista got reduced hardware ability?
I do not think it strange at all that something designed for Windows XP may
not work in Vista. A lot of hardware will have to be replaced if the
manufacturer didn't allow for firmware updates and driver updates. Even the
poorly coded software they supply with their deficient hardware may not work
under Vista.

It happens whenever a new O/S is introduced.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"tonj" <nospam@no-spam-ever.org> wrote in message
>I find it strange that windows vista (Home Premium) can't pick up my video
>hardware like Windows XP did.
> I have a Fly DVB TV PCI card and in Vista Windows Movie Maker doesn't give
> any option to choose it as a capture source. All it
> lists is import 'From digital video camera', there's no other option. In
> Windows XP WMM listed all my video hardware.
> The Fly card does work in Windows Vista but the only programs that make it
> work are Dscaler version 4.1.15 and Splitcam version
> 4.2. I also tried Windows Media Encoder 9 in Vista and that won't produce
> an image with the Fly card either - just a black preview
> screen. Does Windows Vista have reduced video abilities compared with
> Windows XP?

tonj

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23bfZWzUSHHA.4404@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I do not think it strange at all that something designed for Windows XP may not work in Vista. A lot of hardware will have to be
>replaced if the manufacturer didn't allow for firmware updates and driver updates. Even the poorly coded software they supply with
>their deficient hardware may not work under Vista.
>
> It happens whenever a new O/S is introduced.

okay but why - when I'm having success with other video programs in Vista - does WMM only list the ability to import 'From digital
camera device'.? It doesn't make sense. In windows XP WMM gave a me choice to select any one of my video hardware devices, but in
Vista that choice is no longer there. My video hardware items (USB webcam, TV PCI card) are working fine in capture programs in
Windows Vista but for some reason WMM no longer wants to acknowledge them.