GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
Has anyone tried the 100.59 drivers with the GeForce 6200 OC PCI card yet? I
noticed these were released on 1/31. The 97.46 driver I tried beforehand
was so much worse than the Microsoft driver I'm been relunctant to give it a
try.

This is the only PCI card that had the Vista logo on the box, but finding
compatible drivers has been wicked. (I don't have a PCI-E bus nor an
available AGP slot). It brings my rating WAY down to a 2.1 because of aero &
gaming (where everything else in the box is 4.5 or higher).

The Microsoft driver gives me Aero & Flip 3-D, but I get a message telling
me the graphics device has hung and was restarted at least a dozen times a
day. Attempting to play games like Heroes of Might & Magic V is PAINFULLY
slow. I pretty certain this is a driver issue, as the XP Pro install I put
on there prior to the Vista upgrade had no issues for over a week and HOM&M
play was smooth and fast.
=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhaWdjb25maXJl?=

RE: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
I am in the same boat. Device Manager says I am using the 9746 driver. I
see on the nvidia site that there is a download for a new driver post in Jan
07. Not sure which driver to use seeing that I installed the 32bit Vista
version and nvidia has a driver for 64bit and 86bit, whatever 86 correlates
to I have no idea.

The windows update keeps trying to install a new driver for 6200, and keeps
failing - not sure why, the error code is "Windows Update error 80070103".

Should I download from nvidia, and then which driver version x86 or x64?

"Paul" wrote:

> Has anyone tried the 100.59 drivers with the GeForce 6200 OC PCI card yet? I
> noticed these were released on 1/31. The 97.46 driver I tried beforehand
> was so much worse than the Microsoft driver I'm been relunctant to give it a
> try.
>
> This is the only PCI card that had the Vista logo on the box, but finding
> compatible drivers has been wicked. (I don't have a PCI-E bus nor an
> available AGP slot). It brings my rating WAY down to a 2.1 because of aero &
> gaming (where everything else in the box is 4.5 or higher).
>
> The Microsoft driver gives me Aero & Flip 3-D, but I get a message telling
> me the graphics device has hung and was restarted at least a dozen times a
> day. Attempting to play games like Heroes of Might & Magic V is PAINFULLY
> slow. I pretty certain this is a driver issue, as the XP Pro install I put
> on there prior to the Vista upgrade had no issues for over a week and HOM&M
> play was smooth and fast.

JW

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
X86 chips are 32 bit chips, thats where the name comes from and the Jan07
drivers are the 97.46 drivers that you say are already using.

You might try the older 96.85 Vista drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html

"craigconfire" <craigconfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in the same boat. Device Manager says I am using the 9746 driver. I
> see on the nvidia site that there is a download for a new driver post in
> Jan
> 07. Not sure which driver to use seeing that I installed the 32bit Vista
> version and nvidia has a driver for 64bit and 86bit, whatever 86
> correlates
> to I have no idea.
>
> The windows update keeps trying to install a new driver for 6200, and
> keeps
> failing - not sure why, the error code is "Windows Update error 80070103".
>
> Should I download from nvidia, and then which driver version x86 or x64?
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the 100.59 drivers with the GeForce 6200 OC PCI card
>> yet? I
>> noticed these were released on 1/31. The 97.46 driver I tried
>> beforehand
>> was so much worse than the Microsoft driver I'm been relunctant to give
>> it a
>> try.
>>
>> This is the only PCI card that had the Vista logo on the box, but finding
>> compatible drivers has been wicked. (I don't have a PCI-E bus nor an
>> available AGP slot). It brings my rating WAY down to a 2.1 because of
>> aero &
>> gaming (where everything else in the box is 4.5 or higher).
>>
>> The Microsoft driver gives me Aero & Flip 3-D, but I get a message
>> telling
>> me the graphics device has hung and was restarted at least a dozen times
>> day. Attempting to play games like Heroes of Might & Magic V is
>> PAINFULLY
>> slow. I pretty certain this is a driver issue, as the XP Pro install I
>> put
>> on there prior to the Vista upgrade had no issues for over a week and
>> HOM&M
>> play was smooth and fast.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
I'd suggest holding off on the 96.85 drivers. I tried them after the trouble
I had with the 97.46 and lost aero as an option. DXdiag said I had 9.x
installed, but several programs would not run warning of no DX9 being found.
That's why I switched to the MS driver.

BTW, the driver Windows update is trying to install is more than liely the
MS driver (supplied by NVidia) that I'm currently using. All Vista features
will "work" including aero, but expect hang-ups and trouble with games that
require intensive graphics. Your rating will probably only read 2.1 for aero
and 2.6 for gaming graphics.

"JW" wrote:

> X86 chips are 32 bit chips, thats where the name comes from and the Jan07
> drivers are the 97.46 drivers that you say are already using.
>
> You might try the older 96.85 Vista drivers
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html
>

> "craigconfire" <craigconfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am in the same boat. Device Manager says I am using the 9746 driver. I
> > see on the nvidia site that there is a download for a new driver post in
> > Jan
> > 07. Not sure which driver to use seeing that I installed the 32bit Vista
> > version and nvidia has a driver for 64bit and 86bit, whatever 86
> > correlates
> > to I have no idea.
> >
> > The windows update keeps trying to install a new driver for 6200, and
> > keeps
> > failing - not sure why, the error code is "Windows Update error 80070103".
> >
> > Should I download from nvidia, and then which driver version x86 or x64?
> >
> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone tried the 100.59 drivers with the GeForce 6200 OC PCI card
> >> yet? I
> >> noticed these were released on 1/31. The 97.46 driver I tried
> >> beforehand
> >> was so much worse than the Microsoft driver I'm been relunctant to give
> >> it a
> >> try.
> >>
> >> This is the only PCI card that had the Vista logo on the box, but finding
> >> compatible drivers has been wicked. (I don't have a PCI-E bus nor an
> >> available AGP slot). It brings my rating WAY down to a 2.1 because of
> >> aero &
> >> gaming (where everything else in the box is 4.5 or higher).
> >>
> >> The Microsoft driver gives me Aero & Flip 3-D, but I get a message
> >> telling
> >> me the graphics device has hung and was restarted at least a dozen times
> >> day. Attempting to play games like Heroes of Might & Magic V is
> >> PAINFULLY
> >> slow. I pretty certain this is a driver issue, as the XP Pro install I
> >> put
> >> on there prior to the Vista upgrade had no issues for over a week and
> >> HOM&M
> >> play was smooth and fast.

JW

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
I believe that the actual RTM DVDs have the NVIDIA 96.86 driver which NVIDIA
never posted on their Website. The 97.46 driver release notes list lots of
funtions as not working that hopefully will be available again in theier
next official release.

> I'd suggest holding off on the 96.85 drivers. I tried them after the
> trouble
> I had with the 97.46 and lost aero as an option. DXdiag said I had 9.x
> installed, but several programs would not run warning of no DX9 being
> found.
> That's why I switched to the MS driver.
>
> BTW, the driver Windows update is trying to install is more than liely the
> MS driver (supplied by NVidia) that I'm currently using. All Vista
> features
> will "work" including aero, but expect hang-ups and trouble with games
> that
> require intensive graphics. Your rating will probably only read 2.1 for
> aero
> and 2.6 for gaming graphics.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> X86 chips are 32 bit chips, thats where the name comes from and the Jan07
>> drivers are the 97.46 drivers that you say are already using.
>>
>> You might try the older 96.85 Vista drivers
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html
>>

>> "craigconfire" <craigconfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am in the same boat. Device Manager says I am using the 9746 driver.
>> > see on the nvidia site that there is a download for a new driver post
>> > in
>> > Jan
>> > 07. Not sure which driver to use seeing that I installed the 32bit
>> > Vista
>> > version and nvidia has a driver for 64bit and 86bit, whatever 86
>> > correlates
>> > to I have no idea.
>> >
>> > The windows update keeps trying to install a new driver for 6200, and
>> > keeps
>> > failing - not sure why, the error code is "Windows Update error
>> > 80070103".
>> >
>> > Should I download from nvidia, and then which driver version x86 or
>> > x64?

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
The latest drivers from nVidia may screw up games, and if one attempts a
rollback to a previous driver, websites flash as the mouse moves over them..

I understand that nVidia have targeted late February for something
meaningful that works..

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>I believe that the actual RTM DVDs have the NVIDIA 96.86 driver which
>NVIDIA never posted on their Website. The 97.46 driver release notes list
>lots of funtions as not working that hopefully will be available again in
>theier next official release.
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'd suggest holding off on the 96.85 drivers. I tried them after the
>> trouble
>> I had with the 97.46 and lost aero as an option. DXdiag said I had 9.x
>> installed, but several programs would not run warning of no DX9 being
>> found.
>> That's why I switched to the MS driver.
>>
>> BTW, the driver Windows update is trying to install is more than liely
>> the
>> MS driver (supplied by NVidia) that I'm currently using. All Vista
>> features
>> will "work" including aero, but expect hang-ups and trouble with games
>> that
>> require intensive graphics. Your rating will probably only read 2.1 for
>> aero
>> and 2.6 for gaming graphics.
>>
>> "JW" wrote:
>>
>>> X86 chips are 32 bit chips, thats where the name comes from and the
>>> Jan07
>>> drivers are the 97.46 drivers that you say are already using.
>>>
>>> You might try the older 96.85 Vista drivers
>>>
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
Mike,

Are you aware of any compatible PCI cards that DO have drivers available
that will allow full aero functionality AND play games - or am I pretty much
waiting until nVidia pulls a rabbit out of their hat and comes up with
workable drivers for this "Made For Vista" logoed $164 PCI card?

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:

> The latest drivers from nVidia may screw up games, and if one attempts a
> rollback to a previous driver, websites flash as the mouse moves over them..
>
> I understand that nVidia have targeted late February for something
> meaningful that works..
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> >I believe that the actual RTM DVDs have the NVIDIA 96.86 driver which
> >NVIDIA never posted on their Website. The 97.46 driver release notes list
> >lots of funtions as not working that hopefully will be available again in
> >theier next official release.
> >
> > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'd suggest holding off on the 96.85 drivers. I tried them after the
> >> trouble
> >> I had with the 97.46 and lost aero as an option. DXdiag said I had 9.x
> >> installed, but several programs would not run warning of no DX9 being
> >> found.
> >> That's why I switched to the MS driver.
> >>
> >> BTW, the driver Windows update is trying to install is more than liely
> >> the
> >> MS driver (supplied by NVidia) that I'm currently using. All Vista
> >> features
> >> will "work" including aero, but expect hang-ups and trouble with games
> >> that
> >> require intensive graphics. Your rating will probably only read 2.1 for
> >> aero
> >> and 2.6 for gaming graphics.

JW

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
It would make life a lot easier if there were not 2 different Vista Logos
available which are defined as follows:

"
Compliance Levels for Windows Vista Logo Program:
· "Basic" logo level (previously known as "silver" or "standard"
logo level, also known as "Works with Windows Vista")
A product being tested is deemed compliant when it meets the basic logo
requirements as defined in this document. This level of compliance indicates
to a customer that the product works well with Windows. The basic logo
requirements ensure reliability, stability, security, and proper
installation, as well as implements functionality that take advantage of
some of the latest Windows innovations.

An example is no stop errors, proper installation, and proper removal. For
audio devices, it would mean that it implements Universal Audio Architecture
(UAA) and other functional requirements in this document.

· "Premium" logo level (previously known as "gold" logo level, also
known as "Certified for Windows Vista")
A product being tested is deemed compliant when it meets the premium logo
requirements as defined in this document. This level of compliance indicates
to a customer that the product enables additional or enhanced capability
with Windows, thereby enabling a premium experience.

For audio devices, although the basic logo includes requirements for basic
audio support, the premium logo includes requirements to support high
fidelity to enhance the audio experience
"

> Mike,
>
> Are you aware of any compatible PCI cards that DO have drivers available
> that will allow full aero functionality AND play games - or am I pretty
> much
> waiting until nVidia pulls a rabbit out of their hat and comes up with
> workable drivers for this "Made For Vista" logoed $164 PCI card?
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
>
>> The latest drivers from nVidia may screw up games, and if one attempts a
>> rollback to a previous driver, websites flash as the mouse moves over
>> them..
>>
>> I understand that nVidia have targeted late February for something
>> meaningful that works..
>>
>> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> >I believe that the actual RTM DVDs have the NVIDIA 96.86 driver which
>> >NVIDIA never posted on their Website. The 97.46 driver release notes
>> >list
>> >lots of funtions as not working that hopefully will be available again
>> >in
>> >theier next official release.

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhaWdjb25maXJl?=

Re: GeForce 6200 OC PCI and nVidia 100.59 drivers?
Hey Mike,

Any update for a new driver from nvidia?

Seeing the same hangup/black screen/recovery with the windows dreamscene.
Fun Stuff.

Seriously, thanks for the help!