ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?

HeyD

ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?
Hey,

The question is, can the USB drive or for that matter any flash drive
be left in the computer and have ReadyBoost just see it and start
using it at the next startup?
My only USB 2.0 connection is at the back of my tower. If I need to
remove and reinstall the flash drive for each start I will need to
remove the tower from it's cubby hole. I know I could just connect a
USB extension cable, but this flopping cable is not what I want.

Thanks in advance,
Lakesidezx

Re: ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?
I've left mine in the USB slot on the back of my computer without problems.

The only problem I had was when I turned my computer into hibernation mode
then pulled the flash drive out, then turned on the computer, at which time
there was a tremendous amount of hard drive access for about 10 minutes
until I tried to shut it down at which time it sat at the shutting down
screen and I finally gave up waiting and just powered it off, when I turned
it back on it was back to normal.

But again, I've had no problem leaving the USB flash drive plugged into my
computer when I turn it *off*.

"HeyD" <HeyD@null.net> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> The question is, can the USB drive or for that matter any flash drive
> be left in the computer and have ReadyBoost just see it and start
> using it at the next startup?
> My only USB 2.0 connection is at the back of my tower. If I need to
> remove and reinstall the flash drive for each start I will need to
> remove the tower from it's cubby hole. I know I could just connect a
> USB extension cable, but this flopping cable is not what I want.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Richard Urban

Re: ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?
I use an add-in card that also has in internal plug-in port. That is where I
keep my USB stick plugged into.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"HeyD" <HeyD@null.net> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> The question is, can the USB drive or for that matter any flash drive
> be left in the computer and have ReadyBoost just see it and start
> using it at the next startup?
> My only USB 2.0 connection is at the back of my tower. If I need to
> remove and reinstall the flash drive for each start I will need to
> remove the tower from it's cubby hole. I know I could just connect a
> USB extension cable, but this flopping cable is not what I want.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Tony

Re: ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?
Why do you need to re-plug the USB again? You just leave the USB disk there
and set up the readyboost for once, then everytime you reboot it, it uses
readyboost automatically.

"HeyD" <HeyD@null.net> ????
> Hey,
>
> The question is, can the USB drive or for that matter any flash drive
> be left in the computer and have ReadyBoost just see it and start
> using it at the next startup?
> My only USB 2.0 connection is at the back of my tower. If I need to
> remove and reinstall the flash drive for each start I will need to
> remove the tower from it's cubby hole. I know I could just connect a
> USB extension cable, but this flopping cable is not what I want.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Byron Hinson

Re: ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left in the system for restart?
Certainly does. Just remember to check it every few days as it has a
tendency to stop working now and then especially if you have any OS crashes.

--
Byron Hinson
ActiveWin Windows Site: http://www.activewin.com

"Tony" <nospam.lol.com> wrote in message
> Why do you need to re-plug the USB again? You just leave the USB disk
> there and set up the readyboost for once, then everytime you reboot it, it
> uses readyboost automatically.
>
> "HeyD" <HeyD@null.net> ????
>> Hey,
>>
>> The question is, can the USB drive or for that matter any flash drive
>> be left in the computer and have ReadyBoost just see it and start
>> using it at the next startup?
>> My only USB 2.0 connection is at the back of my tower. If I need to
>> remove and reinstall the flash drive for each start I will need to
>> remove the tower from it's cubby hole. I know I could just connect a
>> USB extension cable, but this flopping cable is not what I want.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,

HeyD

Re: ReadyBoost - Can the USB drive be left ... Thanks to you all ...