Generic PnP Monitor and Screen Resolution

=?Utf-8?B?VExL?=

Generic PnP Monitor and Screen Resolution
Hi. I'm using an ATI RADEON X300/X550 Graphics Card on the Vista Home Premium
Upgrade. Before the upgrade I was running the screen resolution at the
maximum 1280 x 1024 on a 19" LCD with XP Pro.

Since then, I can only have 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. I'm assuming that it's
not normal I've got a Generic PnP Monitor listed in my devices, cause that
just sounds like it's been forced to choose that.

The ATI Website doesn't have any newer drivers and is only displaying the
"Catalyst" program, which I installed, to no avail.

Any ideas as to how I could get around this sticky issue?
Ron Miller

Re: Generic PnP Monitor and Screen Resolution
TLK wrote:
> Hi. I'm using an ATI RADEON X300/X550 Graphics Card on the Vista Home Premium
> Upgrade. Before the upgrade I was running the screen resolution at the
> maximum 1280 x 1024 on a 19" LCD with XP Pro.
>
> Since then, I can only have 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. I'm assuming that it's
> not normal I've got a Generic PnP Monitor listed in my devices, cause that
> just sounds like it's been forced to choose that.
>
> The ATI Website doesn't have any newer drivers and is only displaying the
> "Catalyst" program, which I installed, to no avail.
>
> Any ideas as to how I could get around this sticky issue?

I think there's nothing wrong with your video driver. What you need is
a monitor driver. Go to your monitor manufacturer's Web site and
download a driver. If they have one only for XP or NT, that's fine
because the so-called driver is really nothing but an INF file. You may
also have a CD that came with your monitor that contains this driver.

Go to your monitor in Device Manager and select Update Driver. Direct
the wizard to the directory where you downloaded the yourmonitor.INF
file. (If what you downloaded is an EXE file, you may have to run it to
unpack the files it contains before updating the driver.) After that
Wizard completes, your exact monitor should appear in Device Manager
instead of "Generic" or "Default," and your video driver can then use
the information in the monitor driver file to display the monitor's
available resolution settings and refresh rates. An added benefit of
installing a monitor driver is that the download package will likely
contain an ICM file as well that allows matching the colors on your
monitor to the output of a color printer.
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

RE: Generic PnP Monitor and Screen Resolution
I have the identical problem with this card and generic pnp driver.
Everything worked fine under XP. I now only get 800x600-1024x768. I connected
two other monitors with different max resolutions, nothing changed in the
settings. It's just stuck at this with the generic PNP driver.

"TLK" wrote:

> Hi. I'm using an ATI RADEON X300/X550 Graphics Card on the Vista Home Premium
> Upgrade. Before the upgrade I was running the screen resolution at the
> maximum 1280 x 1024 on a 19" LCD with XP Pro.
>
> Since then, I can only have 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. I'm assuming that it's
> not normal I've got a Generic PnP Monitor listed in my devices, cause that
> just sounds like it's been forced to choose that.
>
> The ATI Website doesn't have any newer drivers and is only displaying the
> "Catalyst" program, which I installed, to no avail.
>
> Any ideas as to how I could get around this sticky issue?

=?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

RE: Generic PnP Monitor and Screen Resolution
I had a similar problem, in the end I swapped round the monitors so they were
plugged into the different sockets of the gfx card and they worked fine then.
No idea why.