Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia

MICHAEL

Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia

Vista drivers fiasco irks geeks who feel duped

By Paul Hales

NVIDIA CUSTOMERS are losing it a bit.
Many are unhappy about the graphics firm's ability to produce drivers to run with Vista and
they've been bombarding Nvidian message boards with threats and abuse.

An Nvidian moderator earlier closed a thread discussing Vista drivers because, he says, of "Far
too many people flaming, posting FUD, and in general not posting within TOS."

To get your post up there you must not, he notes:

"1. Post you're going to sue nVidia.
2. Post they are guilty of false advertising. (without link to your court judgment saying so)
3. Post the hardware must not work (FUD)
4. Post the software must not work (FUD)
5. Post that you want nVidia staff fired or accosted. (don't be a jerk)
6. Ask for direct response from nVidia."

He asks that users use the thread more "appropriately," or, he says, "we will vacation you from
the board."

Now, users miffed at Nvidia - possibly "vacationed" - and gagging for somewhere to vent their
spleen have set up a site entitled www.nvidiaclassaction.org.

The site's stated aim is to collect information that may lead to a class action suit against
the graphics firm for flogging kit as Vista ready when it isn't.

As the site notes, "Please be very careful about what you post - this isn't a place to rant -
we've done that enough. This is a place to provide useful, constructive information conducive
to supporting a legal action."

According to one user who contacted the INQ, "Nvidia has all but ignored their customers, and
on their website the support page says it's under construction, making the forums our only
support outlet".

Dale

Re: Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia
No doubt, Nvidia learned from the best.

Dale

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37396
>
> Vista drivers fiasco irks geeks who feel duped
>
> By Paul Hales
>
> NVIDIA CUSTOMERS are losing it a bit.
> Many are unhappy about the graphics firm's ability to produce drivers to
> run with Vista and they've been bombarding Nvidian message boards with
> threats and abuse.
>
> An Nvidian moderator earlier closed a thread discussing Vista drivers
> because, he says, of "Far too many people flaming, posting FUD, and in
> general not posting within TOS."
>
> To get your post up there you must not, he notes:
>
> "1. Post you're going to sue nVidia.
> 2. Post they are guilty of false advertising. (without link to your court
> judgment saying so)
> 3. Post the hardware must not work (FUD)
> 4. Post the software must not work (FUD)
> 5. Post that you want nVidia staff fired or accosted. (don't be a jerk)
> 6. Ask for direct response from nVidia."
>
> He asks that users use the thread more "appropriately," or, he says, "we
> will vacation you from the board."
>
> Now, users miffed at Nvidia - possibly "vacationed" - and gagging for
> somewhere to vent their spleen have set up a site entitled
> www.nvidiaclassaction.org.
>
> The site's stated aim is to collect information that may lead to a class
> action suit against the graphics firm for flogging kit as Vista ready when
> it isn't.
>
> As the site notes, "Please be very careful about what you post - this
> isn't a place to rant - we've done that enough. This is a place to provide
> useful, constructive information conducive to supporting a legal action."
>
> According to one user who contacted the INQ, "Nvidia has all but ignored
> their customers, and on their website the support page says it's under
> construction, making the forums our only support outlet".

David Vair

Re: Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia
Last time I looked NVIDIA did not sell the physical graphics card and therefore are not technically
responsible to the end user. Granted everyone uses their reference drivers but ultimate
responsibility should fall on the actual manufacturer and distributor of the cards. Why is there
not outrage at them?

--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message news:OdxA0uHSHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> No doubt, Nvidia learned from the best.
>
> Dale
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message news:u0qOEaHSHHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37396
>>
>> Vista drivers fiasco irks geeks who feel duped
>>
>> By Paul Hales
>>
>> NVIDIA CUSTOMERS are losing it a bit.
>> Many are unhappy about the graphics firm's ability to produce drivers to run with Vista and
>> they've been bombarding Nvidian message boards with threats and abuse.
>>
>> An Nvidian moderator earlier closed a thread discussing Vista drivers because, he says, of "Far
>> too many people flaming, posting FUD, and in general not posting within TOS."
>>
>> To get your post up there you must not, he notes:
>>
>> "1. Post you're going to sue nVidia.
>> 2. Post they are guilty of false advertising. (without link to your court judgment saying so)
>> 3. Post the hardware must not work (FUD)
>> 4. Post the software must not work (FUD)
>> 5. Post that you want nVidia staff fired or accosted. (don't be a jerk)
>> 6. Ask for direct response from nVidia."
>>
>> He asks that users use the thread more "appropriately," or, he says, "we will vacation you from
>> the board."
>>
>> Now, users miffed at Nvidia - possibly "vacationed" - and gagging for somewhere to vent their
>> spleen have set up a site entitled www.nvidiaclassaction.org.
>>
>> The site's stated aim is to collect information that may lead to a class action suit against the
>> graphics firm for flogging kit as Vista ready when it isn't.
>>
>> As the site notes, "Please be very careful about what you post - this isn't a place to rant -
>> we've done that enough. This is a place to provide useful, constructive information conducive to
>> supporting a legal action."
>>
>> According to one user who contacted the INQ, "Nvidia has all but ignored their customers, and on
>> their website the support page says it's under construction, making the forums our only support
>> outlet".

Dale

Re: Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia
Nvidia doesn't care about the distinction between chipset maker and board
maker when the checks come in. They can't pick-and-choose when to provide
drivers and when not to. They have accepted and profited from the current
business model where board makers distribute Nvidia drivers since their
inception. It is Nvidia who provides Microsoft drivers for the OS and for
Windows Update - not the board makers.

While there's usually no one pointing a gun at upgraders' heads and there's
no compelling reason why most of them need Vista, many purchasers bought
Nvidia strictly because of Nvidia's claims that the chips would support
Vista.

Even if you argue that the end users' complaints might go to the
manufacturer of their particular card, you also have to remember that those
cards were manufactured by companies depending on Nvidia's promise of Vista
compatibility. So while you could say that the end user should complain to
the manufacturer and that the manufacturer should complain to Nvidia, that
doesn't change Nvidia's ultimate responsibility so why not just cut out the
obviously innocent middle-man?

All of that said, I haven't had any issues with my 7600GS using the drivers
shipped with Vista. *shrug*

Dale

"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Last time I looked NVIDIA did not sell the physical graphics card and
> therefore are not technically responsible to the end user. Granted
> everyone uses their reference drivers but ultimate responsibility should
> fall on the actual manufacturer and distributor of the cards. Why is
> there not outrage at them?
>
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
>
> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>> No doubt, Nvidia learned from the best.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37396
>>>
>>> Vista drivers fiasco irks geeks who feel duped
>>>
>>> By Paul Hales
>>>
>>> NVIDIA CUSTOMERS are losing it a bit.
>>> Many are unhappy about the graphics firm's ability to produce drivers to
>>> run with Vista and they've been bombarding Nvidian message boards with
>>> threats and abuse.
>>>
>>> An Nvidian moderator earlier closed a thread discussing Vista drivers
>>> because, he says, of "Far too many people flaming, posting FUD, and in
>>> general not posting within TOS."
>>>
>>> To get your post up there you must not, he notes:
>>>
>>> "1. Post you're going to sue nVidia.
>>> 2. Post they are guilty of false advertising. (without link to your
>>> court judgment saying so)
>>> 3. Post the hardware must not work (FUD)
>>> 4. Post the software must not work (FUD)
>>> 5. Post that you want nVidia staff fired or accosted. (don't be a jerk)
>>> 6. Ask for direct response from nVidia."
>>>
>>> He asks that users use the thread more "appropriately," or, he says, "we
>>> will vacation you from the board."
>>>
>>> Now, users miffed at Nvidia - possibly "vacationed" - and gagging for
>>> somewhere to vent their spleen have set up a site entitled
>>> www.nvidiaclassaction.org.
>>>
>>> The site's stated aim is to collect information that may lead to a class
>>> action suit against the graphics firm for flogging kit as Vista ready
>>> when it isn't.
>>>
>>> As the site notes, "Please be very careful about what you post - this
>>> isn't a place to rant - we've done that enough. This is a place to
>>> provide useful, constructive information conducive to supporting a legal
>>> action."
>>>
>>> According to one user who contacted the INQ, "Nvidia has all but ignored
>>> their customers, and on their website the support page says it's under
>>> construction, making the forums our only support outlet".

Andrew

Re: Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia
That's because it's all about the 8800's.

> All of that said, I haven't had any issues with my 7600GS using the
> drivers shipped with Vista. *shrug*
>
> Dale

Nina DiBoy

Dale wrote:
> No doubt, Nvidia learned from the best.
>
> Dale

Not a big surprise, Their linux drivers are sloppy too.

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37396
>>
>> Vista drivers fiasco irks geeks who feel duped
>>
>> By Paul Hales
>>
>> NVIDIA CUSTOMERS are losing it a bit.
>> Many are unhappy about the graphics firm's ability to produce drivers
>> to run with Vista and they've been bombarding Nvidian message boards
>> with threats and abuse.
>>
>> An Nvidian moderator earlier closed a thread discussing Vista drivers
>> because, he says, of "Far too many people flaming, posting FUD, and in
>> general not posting within TOS."
>>
>> To get your post up there you must not, he notes:
>>
>> "1. Post you're going to sue nVidia.
>> 2. Post they are guilty of false advertising. (without link to your
>> court judgment saying so)
>> 3. Post the hardware must not work (FUD)
>> 4. Post the software must not work (FUD)
>> 5. Post that you want nVidia staff fired or accosted. (don't be a jerk)
>> 6. Ask for direct response from nVidia."
>>
>> He asks that users use the thread more "appropriately," or, he says,
>> "we will vacation you from the board."
>>
>> Now, users miffed at Nvidia - possibly "vacationed" - and gagging for
>> somewhere to vent their spleen have set up a site entitled
>> www.nvidiaclassaction.org.
>>
>> The site's stated aim is to collect information that may lead to a
>> class action suit against the graphics firm for flogging kit as Vista
>> ready when it isn't.
>>
>> As the site notes, "Please be very careful about what you post - this
>> isn't a place to rant - we've done that enough. This is a place to
>> provide useful, constructive information conducive to supporting a
>> legal action."
>>
>> According to one user who contacted the INQ, "Nvidia has all but
>> ignored their customers, and on their website the support page says
>> it's under construction, making the forums our only support outlet".

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"Nope. Just CLUELESS ****S LIKE YOU too stupid to work it out. Thank
the bittorent brigade."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot
ragepro7

Re: Users start class action site to hammer Nvidia

Huh, interesting. I had no problem with my 7600... I wonder if they are
talking about older cards?? Support page seems like it's all working
too... Weird..

--
ragepro7
ragepro7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21673