Internal Hard Drives.......

=?Utf-8?B?U2NydWZmeXk=?=

Internal Hard Drives.......
Hello All,

I have an ASUS p5n-32 SLI mother board and 2 x ASUS 7800GT Video cards. I
have 2 gig of ram and 3 SATA 16mb internal hard drives 2 x 320 gig and 1 x
240 gig.

I have formated one of the 320 gig hard drives just to install Vista on it
and it has all gone fine. Set up without any hitches, the remaining two hard
drives had XP Pro on it. I do not want to loose any data on the two hard
drives.

My question is that the two remaining hard drives I can see but cannot
access. Can someone help me see all the programs and data on the two hard
drives!

Scott
George

Re: Internal Hard Drives.......
On Feb 4, 3:23 am, Scruffyy <Scruf...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have an ASUS p5n-32 SLI mother board and 2 x ASUS 7800GT Video cards. I
> have 2 gig of ram and 3 SATA 16mb internal hard drives 2 x 320 gig and 1 x
> 240 gig.
>
> I have formated one of the 320 gig hard drives just to install Vista on it
> and it has all gone fine. Set up without any hitches, the remaining two hard
> drives had XP Pro on it. I do not want to loose any data on the two hard
> drives.
>
> My question is that the two remaining hard drives I can see but cannot
> access. Can someone help me see all the programs and data on the two hard
> drives!
>
> Scott

I built a new system and installed Vista on it. I am having various
problems with it so I installed XP on a second drive (old 27 GB
Maxtor) to test it under XP. When I boot into Vista, I can see and
access the XP drive without any problems. So I have to conclude Vista
shouldn't normaly have any problem with drive setup under XP.

Something must be different with your drives or how they are set up.
What do you mean by that you can "see" the hard drive. Can you see
them in the BIOS? Windows Disk Manager? Windows Explorer?

If you can see them under Windows Explorer, but can't open a drive and
view its contents, then it could have something to do with windows
security or encryption. Did you enable any special security features
on those drives under XP?

If they aren't visible under Windows Explorer, can you see them under
the Disk manager? If so do they have formated partitions on them?
How are they formated?

If you can only see them in the BIOS and not in windows explorer, then
there's something strange with the drives. What kind of drives are
they? Could they be so old and obsolete that Vista doesn't like them.

In addition, if either of the drive have XP instaled on them, try
booting up them up in XP. You could also try installing XP on them.

George

Ron Miller

Re: Internal Hard Drives.......
Scruffyy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have an ASUS p5n-32 SLI mother board and 2 x ASUS 7800GT Video cards. I
> have 2 gig of ram and 3 SATA 16mb internal hard drives 2 x 320 gig and 1 x
> 240 gig.
>
> I have formated one of the 320 gig hard drives just to install Vista on it
> and it has all gone fine. Set up without any hitches, the remaining two hard
> drives had XP Pro on it. I do not want to loose any data on the two hard
> drives.
>
> My question is that the two remaining hard drives I can see but cannot
> access. Can someone help me see all the programs and data on the two hard
> drives!
>
> Scott

Have you used Vista's Disk-Management Console to assign drive letters to
the logical drives on the other HDs? I installed Vista to dual-boot
with my current XP installation and found that I had to assign the old
drive letters within Vista before those drives would show up in Windows
Explorer.