Optical drives with Vista

SDR

Optical drives with Vista
Everything was running great on as Asus P5B Deluxe / E6600 with Vista Home
Premium when my Plextor PX-755SA DVD burner stopped working. Pulled it out
and replaced it with an older IDE Plextor CD burner and the same thing.
Tried an other IDE DVD drive and still no go.

So appartantly the SATA Plextor isn't the problem, it must be the Asus
motherboard or some Vista drivers.

Anybody shed some light on this.

TIA

SDR

SDR

Re: Optical drives with Vista
I think it's the MB not the OS.

O'boy changing out the motherboard and reinstalling Vista..............lol

SDR

"SDR" <NOSPAMdfriedl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Everything was running great on as Asus P5B Deluxe / E6600 with Vista Home
> Premium when my Plextor PX-755SA DVD burner stopped working. Pulled it
> out and replaced it with an older IDE Plextor CD burner and the same
> thing. Tried an other IDE DVD drive and still no go.
>
> So appartantly the SATA Plextor isn't the problem, it must be the Asus
> motherboard or some Vista drivers.
>
> Anybody shed some light on this.
>
> TIA
>
> SDR

cash

Re: Optical drives with Vista
Article ID : 320553
Last Review : August 3, 2006
Revision : 4.2

the regedit option works for the missing cdrom/dvd drives - worked for me!
"SDR" <NOSPAMdfriedl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Everything was running great on as Asus P5B Deluxe / E6600 with Vista Home
> Premium when my Plextor PX-755SA DVD burner stopped working. Pulled it
> out and replaced it with an older IDE Plextor CD burner and the same
> thing. Tried an other IDE DVD drive and still no go.
>
> So appartantly the SATA Plextor isn't the problem, it must be the Asus
> motherboard or some Vista drivers.
>
> Anybody shed some light on this.
>
> TIA
>
> SDR

=?Utf-8?B?TXlocg==?=

RE: Optical drives with Vista
I, too, have a Plextor drive.
When I put a data disc in the dvd drive {say, to install a program}, nothing
shows in Explorer...if I click on the drive icon to see the contents of the
disc, Vista asks if I want to format the blank disc. Properties for the drive
show there's data on the disc, drive just can't read it. BUT...if I put in a
DVD movie, the movie plays.
Device manager states device is working and has proper drivers {it won't let
me change or install different drivers}.
I thought a DVD burning program {Nero 7} was affecting it, but I've
uninstalled programs, I've rolled back with System Restore, nothing works.
Oh, all of the programs I've installed are new versions, Vista capable.
I've even swapped out the drive, Vista automatically installed proper
drivers for the Sony drive, and the problem is still there.
I went into Safe Mode, and the drive works fine...can read the disc contents
in Explorer and run the program normally.
Frustrating because I burn a lot of discs.
I'm ready to wipe the drive and go back to XP.

"SDR" wrote:

> Everything was running great on as Asus P5B Deluxe / E6600 with Vista Home
> Premium when my Plextor PX-755SA DVD burner stopped working. Pulled it out
> and replaced it with an older IDE Plextor CD burner and the same thing.
> Tried an other IDE DVD drive and still no go.
>
> So appartantly the SATA Plextor isn't the problem, it must be the Asus
> motherboard or some Vista drivers.
>
> Anybody shed some light on this.
>
> TIA
>
> SDR

=?Utf-8?B?U2lnZ3k=?=

RE: Optical drives with Vista
I also have a problem with my plextor dvd drive.
according to some vague information on
http://www.plextor.jp/support/vista.php it might be possible that a firmware
update for the drive is needed in order to support the builtin burning
functions.

Does any of you have the latest plextools installed already, I haven't yet.

"Myhr" wrote:

> I, too, have a Plextor drive.
> When I put a data disc in the dvd drive {say, to install a program}, nothing
> shows in Explorer...if I click on the drive icon to see the contents of the
> disc, Vista asks if I want to format the blank disc. Properties for the drive
> show there's data on the disc, drive just can't read it. BUT...if I put in a
> DVD movie, the movie plays.
> Device manager states device is working and has proper drivers {it won't let
> me change or install different drivers}.
> I thought a DVD burning program {Nero 7} was affecting it, but I've
> uninstalled programs, I've rolled back with System Restore, nothing works.
> Oh, all of the programs I've installed are new versions, Vista capable.
> I've even swapped out the drive, Vista automatically installed proper
> drivers for the Sony drive, and the problem is still there.
> I went into Safe Mode, and the drive works fine...can read the disc contents
> in Explorer and run the program normally.
> Frustrating because I burn a lot of discs.
> I'm ready to wipe the drive and go back to XP.
>

> "SDR" wrote:
>
> > Everything was running great on as Asus P5B Deluxe / E6600 with Vista Home
> > Premium when my Plextor PX-755SA DVD burner stopped working. Pulled it out
> > and replaced it with an older IDE Plextor CD burner and the same thing.
> > Tried an other IDE DVD drive and still no go.
> >
> > So appartantly the SATA Plextor isn't the problem, it must be the Asus
> > motherboard or some Vista drivers.
> >
> > Anybody shed some light on this.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > SDR

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Optical drives with Vista
I had to install the firmware updates beyond 1.04 on my Plextor PX760
for VISTA to recognize it during setup.

I haven't installed Plextools yet -- thanks for reminding me <g>