PC wont wake from sleep

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=

PC wont wake from sleep
Hi there

I've heard a search and a google, but can't seem to find anything helpful -
so maybe someone here might be able to help.

Just upgraded to Vista Home Premium yesterday, the upgrade advisor told me
uninstall Active Sync and Nero - do I did. the only other problems were minor
issues with visual studio 2005 and windows messenger.

So, what a shock when my 5.1 sound card didn't work! anyway, thats for
another day.

My issue is I can't use standby, sleep or the combination of the two. With
sleep the monitor doesn't turn on when i try and resume, and with hibernate
it shows the "resuming" screen but then stops at a DOS like curser blinking.

I've installed the vista drivers for my nVidia 6200. Can't think what else
it might be?
I didn't but Vista for pretty graphics or IE7, I brought it for the improved
memory management and the hope of being able to standby it for days without
the need for a reboot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?

Marc
email me via http://www.imarc.co.uk/ or
marc_wickens *AT* yahoo.co.uk
neil

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
The video drivers are from nvidia I assume. I remember I had that problem
with MS nvidia drivers during beta testing, after installing the latest from
nvidia the monitor would wake ok.
Neil
"Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I've heard a search and a google, but can't seem to find anything
> helpful -
> so maybe someone here might be able to help.
>
> Just upgraded to Vista Home Premium yesterday, the upgrade advisor told me
> uninstall Active Sync and Nero - do I did. the only other problems were
> minor
> issues with visual studio 2005 and windows messenger.
>
> So, what a shock when my 5.1 sound card didn't work! anyway, thats for
> another day.
>
> My issue is I can't use standby, sleep or the combination of the two. With
> sleep the monitor doesn't turn on when i try and resume, and with
> hibernate
> it shows the "resuming" screen but then stops at a DOS like curser
> blinking.
>
> I've installed the vista drivers for my nVidia 6200. Can't think what else
> it might be?
> I didn't but Vista for pretty graphics or IE7, I brought it for the
> improved
> memory management and the hope of being able to standby it for days
> without
> the need for a reboot.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?
>
> Marc
> email me via http://www.imarc.co.uk/ or
> marc_wickens *AT* yahoo.co.uk

Steve Jain

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:39:00 -0800, Marc
<Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I've heard a search and a google, but can't seem to find anything helpful -
>so maybe someone here might be able to help.
>
>Just upgraded to Vista Home Premium yesterday, the upgrade advisor told me
>uninstall Active Sync and Nero - do I did. the only other problems were minor
>issues with visual studio 2005 and windows messenger.
>
>So, what a shock when my 5.1 sound card didn't work! anyway, thats for
>another day.
>
>My issue is I can't use standby, sleep or the combination of the two. With
>sleep the monitor doesn't turn on when i try and resume, and with hibernate
>it shows the "resuming" screen but then stops at a DOS like curser blinking.
>
>I've installed the vista drivers for my nVidia 6200. Can't think what else
>it might be?
>I didn't but Vista for pretty graphics or IE7, I brought it for the improved
>memory management and the hope of being able to standby it for days without
>the need for a reboot.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?
>
>Marc
>email me via http://www.imarc.co.uk/ or
>marc_wickens *AT* yahoo.co.uk

There is a fairly common problem, unfortunately. There are a couple
threads in the general newsgroup too. So far, the common element
seems to be nVidia video cards.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
"Steve Jain" wrote:
> There is a fairly common problem, unfortunately. There are a couple
> threads in the general newsgroup too. So far, the common element
> seems to be nVidia video cards.

Thanks for the replied people. I'll just have to wait until vVidia get their
new drivers out. I've tried the old XP ones as suggested in another thread,
tried the MS ones and tried the official nVidia ones. no luck
David

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
I have the same problem on my laptop with a ATI video card.

David

"Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I've heard a search and a google, but can't seem to find anything
> helpful -
> so maybe someone here might be able to help.
>
> Just upgraded to Vista Home Premium yesterday, the upgrade advisor told me
> uninstall Active Sync and Nero - do I did. the only other problems were
> minor
> issues with visual studio 2005 and windows messenger.
>
> So, what a shock when my 5.1 sound card didn't work! anyway, thats for
> another day.
>
> My issue is I can't use standby, sleep or the combination of the two. With
> sleep the monitor doesn't turn on when i try and resume, and with
> hibernate
> it shows the "resuming" screen but then stops at a DOS like curser
> blinking.
>
> I've installed the vista drivers for my nVidia 6200. Can't think what else
> it might be?
> I didn't but Vista for pretty graphics or IE7, I brought it for the
> improved
> memory management and the hope of being able to standby it for days
> without
> the need for a reboot.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?
>
> Marc
> email me via http://www.imarc.co.uk/ or
> marc_wickens *AT* yahoo.co.uk

Steve Jain

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:41:04 -0800, Marc
<Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Steve Jain" wrote:
>> There is a fairly common problem, unfortunately. There are a couple
>> threads in the general newsgroup too. So far, the common element
>> seems to be nVidia video cards.

>Thanks for the replied people. I'll just have to wait until vVidia get their
>new drivers out. I've tried the old XP ones as suggested in another thread,
>tried the MS ones and tried the official nVidia ones. no luck

Hey there,

nVidia released new drivers for the 8800GTX (what I've got) on Feb 13,
version 100.64 and this resolved my hibernation and sleep issues.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
Steve Jain

Re: PC wont wake from sleep
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:37:08 -0800, Steve Jain
<noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:41:04 -0800, Marc
><Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Jain" wrote:
>>> There is a fairly common problem, unfortunately. There are a couple
>>> threads in the general newsgroup too. So far, the common element
>>> seems to be nVidia video cards.

>>Thanks for the replied people. I'll just have to wait until vVidia get their
>>new drivers out. I've tried the old XP ones as suggested in another thread,
>>tried the MS ones and tried the official nVidia ones. no luck

>Hey there,
>
>nVidia released new drivers for the 8800GTX (what I've got) on Feb 13,
>version 100.64 and this resolved my hibernation and sleep issues.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. After testing out the hibernation and
sleep, I got a bluescreen trying to rerun the Windows Index. I didn't
write it down since I figured I get the offending file via event
viewer. However, the file nv*.* isn't showing up. I ran the WEI
again and it worked.

After an hour or two, I got another bluescreen, this time I wrote it
down nvstor64.sys. I ended up with 3 more of the same, trying to
remove and reinstalled, etc, until I went back to the system restore
the system did just after this month's Windows Updates. I'm running
the old video drivers and so far the system is stable again.