Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlhbW9uZGhlZWxzMDI=?=

Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me that
there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?
MICHAEL

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage

"diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me that
> there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
> notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
> Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

Have you tried using the XP drivers or installation program
for your sound card?

-Michael

Richard Urban

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
If the manufacturer has not supplied drivers there is no work around. The
drivers are the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
Without the interface there is no sound.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me
> that
> there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
> notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
> Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlhbW9uZGhlZWxzMDI=?=

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
Well, is there any way to get a refund then for Vista? Without sound, my
computer is largely useless to me, and the supposed upgrade assistant didn't
notify me of even a possible issue with the sound card before the upgrade.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> If the manufacturer has not supplied drivers there is no work around. The
> drivers are the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
> Without the interface there is no sound.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me
> > that
> > there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
> > notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
> > Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

Richard Urban

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
Have you ever updated an operating system before? Unless a person is a rank
beginner they usually know that they have to get their "ducks in a row" by
tracking down the necessary hardware drivers prior to installing a new
operating system. Many also come here to ask "prior" to upgrading - just to
ask these pertinent questions.

Seeing as how Microsoft will include with Vista those drivers that
manufacturers submit to them, for testing and inclusion, you have a beef
with the hardware manufacturer. You can try to get a refund from Microsoft
but it is not really their problem. It is between you and the hardware
manufacturer. If they can not, or will not, resolve the problem - Vista can
not be used with your computer.

It's a harsh reality but it is the truth.

--

> Well, is there any way to get a refund then for Vista? Without sound, my
> computer is largely useless to me, and the supposed upgrade assistant
> didn't
> notify me of even a possible issue with the sound card before the upgrade.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> If the manufacturer has not supplied drivers there is no work around. The
>> drivers are the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
>> Without the interface there is no sound.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell
>> > me
>> > that
>> > there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my
>> > Gateway
>> > notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista
>> > Compatible".
>> > Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

MICHAEL

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
Have you tried the drivers from XP?

I have been using Vista on this particular Gateway laptop
since Beta 2, and all this time I have been using the XP drivers
for sound. The supplied sound driver for Vista RTM did not work,
it said Sigmatel, but it didn't work. So, back to the XP Sigmatel drivers.
There is no update listed at Gateway.

The sound is great. No problems.

What sound card do you have?

-Michael

"diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, is there any way to get a refund then for Vista? Without sound, my
> computer is largely useless to me, and the supposed upgrade assistant didn't
> notify me of even a possible issue with the sound card before the upgrade.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> If the manufacturer has not supplied drivers there is no work around. The
>> drivers are the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
>> Without the interface there is no sound.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me
>> > that
>> > there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
>> > notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
>> > Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

MICHAEL

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
Just try it.

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=149442898

"diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, is there any way to get a refund then for Vista? Without sound, my
> computer is largely useless to me, and the supposed upgrade assistant didn't
> notify me of even a possible issue with the sound card before the upgrade.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> If the manufacturer has not supplied drivers there is no work around. The
>> drivers are the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
>> Without the interface there is no sound.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "diamondheels02" <diamondheels02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been through the technical assistance with Gateway and they tell me
>> > that
>> > there is no driver yet to support the sound card installed on my Gateway
>> > notebook which is less than a month old and supposedly "Vista Compatible".
>> > Is there anything I can do to get the sound working on this computer?

safari1803

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage

the problem can be fixed by going to sigmatel's website and clicking on
vista patch ...uninstall audio driver and delete software from computer
then download new updated driver from gateway to fix problem

thanks to sigmatel they fixed the problem that gateway cant figure out

--
safari1803
SGIFL

Re: Gateway Notebook Model MX6956 No audio after Vista Upgrage
Where is this link--there site shows no item you stated below.
Vista Home Premium Gateway GM 5420 -No sound - Speaker icon red X
Shut Down again speaker icon comes up, SigmaTel icon comes up
May work okay for a couple of Shut Downs then after Power On, lose it again
as above most of the times after overnight shut down). Do nothing but Shut
Down-Power On again and it comes back.
Sent back to Gateway got it back same problem.