No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State
When my computer resumes from its sleep state (STR), the Sound Device is
gone. I have to reboot the computer to get it back. I have a Gigabyte
965P-DS3 (rev 2) mother board with a Realtek ALC888 HD codec chip. I used
the latest Realtek HD software which is version 1.56. This is a newly built
computer with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.

I reverted back to the drivers Vista originally installed with are dated
6/21/2006. They help some. I don't usually lose the Sound Device when the
computer wakes. However, this morning after being off all night (Vista's
sleep mode off), the Sound Device was gone when the computer started. I
haven't been able to duplicated this when I tried briefly sleeping and
resuming the computer several times.

As a further test, I installed XP Professional on a separted HD. My
computer appears to have no problems with the sound device when I sleep and
resume it under XP. I have done much testing with XP though.

George
=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

RE: No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State
I forgot to ask my questions.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Deos anyone have any suggestions or comments?

George
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State
sounds like broken ACPI problem from the Bios.

The descriped scenario does happen on certain Linux versions if the ACPI
does not completely support S3 and higher state or if the graphics-driver is
running in Kernel-mode ( especially nvidia ).

Tech Background :

If OS suspends / hibernates it tries to unload network and sounddrivers, if
awakening again it will load these drivers back.

Some graphics-driver also do prevent correct re-loading of drivers.

Vista does handle all these power-savings very different than XP, so thats
not an indicator.

Look if you can find Bios-Upgrade for your PC or a newer
graphics/sound -driver.

SJ / germany

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I forgot to ask my questions.
>
> Has anybody else had this problem?
>
> Deos anyone have any suggestions or comments?
>
> George

George

Re: No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State
I'm already have the latest BIOS (F10) and the Realtek 1.56 driver is
the latest. That aside, I did some more research on BIOS versions.
Some people have had problems with the F10 Bios and reverted back to
old versions. Others think F10 is great. No one reported any problem
like mine yet. I submited it to Gigabyte, so maybe they will fix it
with a new BIOS version>

George

Paul Spencer

Re: No Audio Device after Computer Resumes from Sleep State - my fix
I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix in a forum last
night:

My system:
Vista Ultimate
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)

I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as they
come out with no success.

SOLUTION:
In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
Put the computer in sleep mode.
Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the uninstalled audio
hardware and automatically install the driver.
I have restarted my computer several times and toggled in and out of sleep a
bunch of times and this fix is still working!
I have read that Vista has a problem with unsigned drivers when resuming
from sleep and this method seems to allow Vista to permanently accept the
audio driver.

Paul

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6D9328F-45CF-4301-9082-4C69F78E156C@microsoft.com...
> When my computer resumes from its sleep state (STR), the Sound Device is
> gone. I have to reboot the computer to get it back. I have a Gigabyte
> 965P-DS3 (rev 2) mother board with a Realtek ALC888 HD codec chip. I used
> the latest Realtek HD software which is version 1.56. This is a newly
> built
> computer with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.
>
> I reverted back to the drivers Vista originally installed with are dated
> 6/21/2006. They help some. I don't usually lose the Sound Device when
> the
> computer wakes. However, this morning after being off all night (Vista's
> sleep mode off), the Sound Device was gone when the computer started. I
> haven't been able to duplicated this when I tried briefly sleeping and
> resuming the computer several times.
>
> As a further test, I installed XP Professional on a separted HD. My
> computer appears to have no problems with the sound device when I sleep
> and
> resume it under XP. I have done much testing with XP though.
>
> George

Paul Spencer

Re: my fix failed
Just now it failed again. I did cycle in and out of sleep and also let it go
to sleep on it's own off and on for a day and it appeared to be fixed but
it's not. I guess I'll just have to go back to waiting on MS to patch it.
Sorry!

Paul

"Paul Spencer" <epspencer@att.net> wrote in message
newsBB74CCF-1699-469F-BF25-9CDB87E97BAD@microsoft.com...
>I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix in a forum last
>night:
>
> My system:
> Vista Ultimate
> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)
>
> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as they
> come out with no success.
>
> SOLUTION:
> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
> Put the computer in sleep mode.
> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the uninstalled audio
> hardware and automatically install the driver.
> I have restarted my computer several times and toggled in and out of sleep
> a bunch of times and this fix is still working!
> I have read that Vista has a problem with unsigned drivers when resuming
> from sleep and this method seems to allow Vista to permanently accept the
> audio driver.
>
> Paul
>
> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6D9328F-45CF-4301-9082-4C69F78E156C@microsoft.com...
>> When my computer resumes from its sleep state (STR), the Sound Device is
>> gone. I have to reboot the computer to get it back. I have a Gigabyte
>> 965P-DS3 (rev 2) mother board with a Realtek ALC888 HD codec chip. I
>> used
>> the latest Realtek HD software which is version 1.56. This is a newly
>> built
>> computer with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> I reverted back to the drivers Vista originally installed with are dated
>> 6/21/2006. They help some. I don't usually lose the Sound Device when
>> the
>> computer wakes. However, this morning after being off all night (Vista's
>> sleep mode off), the Sound Device was gone when the computer started. I
>> haven't been able to duplicated this when I tried briefly sleeping and
>> resuming the computer several times.
>>
>> As a further test, I installed XP Professional on a separted HD. My
>> computer appears to have no problems with the sound device when I sleep
>> and
>> resume it under XP. I have done much testing with XP though.
>>
>> George

Paul Spencer

Re: my fix failed
I tested it many times successfully but now it doesn't work again. I was
premature in my celebration.

"Paul Spencer" <epspencer@att.net> wrote in message
newsBB74CCF-1699-469F-BF25-9CDB87E97BAD@microsoft.com...
>I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix in a forum last
>night:
>
> My system:
> Vista Ultimate
> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)
>
> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as they
> come out with no success.
>
> SOLUTION:
> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
> Put the computer in sleep mode.
> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the uninstalled audio
> hardware and automatically install the driver.
> I have restarted my computer several times and toggled in and out of sleep
> a bunch of times and this fix is still working!
> I have read that Vista has a problem with unsigned drivers when resuming
> from sleep and this method seems to allow Vista to permanently accept the
> audio driver.
>
> Paul
>
> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6D9328F-45CF-4301-9082-4C69F78E156C@microsoft.com...
>> When my computer resumes from its sleep state (STR), the Sound Device is
>> gone. I have to reboot the computer to get it back. I have a Gigabyte
>> 965P-DS3 (rev 2) mother board with a Realtek ALC888 HD codec chip. I
>> used
>> the latest Realtek HD software which is version 1.56. This is a newly
>> built
>> computer with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> I reverted back to the drivers Vista originally installed with are dated
>> 6/21/2006. They help some. I don't usually lose the Sound Device when
>> the
>> computer wakes. However, this morning after being off all night (Vista's
>> sleep mode off), the Sound Device was gone when the computer started. I
>> haven't been able to duplicated this when I tried briefly sleeping and
>> resuming the computer several times.
>>
>> As a further test, I installed XP Professional on a separted HD. My
>> computer appears to have no problems with the sound device when I sleep
>> and
>> resume it under XP. I have done much testing with XP though.
>>
>> George

emccann594@earthlink.net

Re: my fix failed
Had the same problem with Vista...(no audio device installed)
Try this it works.........first go to microsoft and install the
upgrade
(KB929685).....then go to the control panel>system>device
manager.....highlight the sound controller.......uninstall the High
Defination Sound Device and uninstall the driver (check
box)........restart
the computer and the system will reinstall both and the upgrade
prevents it
from happening again.

wchp

emccann594@earthlink.net;2674788 Wrote:
> Had the same problem with Vista...(no audio device installed)
> Try this it works.........
> first go to Microsoft and install the upgrade (KB929685).....
> then go to the control panel>system>device manager.....
> highlight the sound controller.......
> uninstall the High Definition Sound Device and uninstall the driver
> (check
> box)........
> restart the computer and the system will reinstall both and the
> upgrade
> prevents it from happening again.

KB929685 was installed auto-magically by Microsoft Update.
Realtek released another driver yesterday on their site. (Gigabyte
doesn't have it yet)
So taking this post, the KB929685 was already installed on my PC
Downloaded Realtek HD Audio driver Vista_R164 from here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
Ran the Realtek setup utility.
Rebooted the machine.
Went to device manager and uninstalled the HD Audio Device AND selected
the remove drivers option box.
Restarted machine.
Machine found hardware and installed drivers.
Now the Driver shows up as:
Driver Signed as:
Provider - Realtek
Driver Date - 3/26/07
Driver Version - 6.0.1.5391

Testing:
Put machine to sleep 3 times. Wakes up with Audio still there.
Allowed machine to put itself to sleep 3 times. Wakes up and Audio is
still there.

Seems like emccann594's post/solution does resolve the issue. Realteks'
updated driver may help as well.
Took me a while to find this post, but glad I did and thanks all for
your contributions.
This was the last bug I needed to work out with my new Vista box.

--
wchp
wchp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24081

http://forums.techarena.in

George

On Mar 31, 6:17 am, wchp <wchp.2ob...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> emccann...@earthlink.net;2674788 Wrote:
>
> > Had the same problem with Vista...(no audio device installed)
> > Try this it works.........
> > first go to Microsoft and install the upgrade (KB929685).....
> > then go to the control panel>system>device manager.....
> > highlight the sound controller.......
> > uninstall the High Definition Sound Device and uninstall the driver
> > (check
> > box)........
> > restart the computer and the system will reinstall both and the
> > upgrade
> > prevents it from happening again.

> KB929685 was installed auto-magically by Microsoft Update.
> Realtek released another driver yesterday on their site. (Gigabyte
> doesn't have it yet)
> So taking this post, the KB929685 was already installed on my PC
> Downloaded Realtek HD Audio driver Vista_R164 from here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Langid=1&PNid=...
> Ran the Realtek setup utility.
> Rebooted the machine.
> Went to device manager and uninstalled the HD Audio Device AND selected
> the remove drivers option box.
> Restarted machine.
> Machine found hardware and installed drivers.
> Now the Driver shows up as:
> Driver Signed as:
> Provider - Realtek
> Driver Date - 3/26/07
> Driver Version - 6.0.1.5391
>
> Testing:
> Put machine to sleep 3 times. Wakes up with Audio still there.
> Allowed machine to put itself to sleep 3 times. Wakes up and Audio is
> still there.
>
> Seems like emccann594's post/solution does resolve the issue. Realteks'
> updated driver may help as well.
> Took me a while to find this post, but glad I did and thanks all for
> your contributions.
> This was the last bug I needed to work out with my new Vista box.
>
> --
> wchp
> wchp's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24081
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=673490
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Are you sure it's fixed? Three successful resumes is not enough to
prove its fixed. I determined I had KB929685 and did the uninstall
reinstall thing with the latest Realtek drivers. I went over a day
with over six sleeps and resumes before I had a failure. It's very
random and seems to go in streaks of successfule reumes and failure.

George