CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Application

=?Utf-8?B?TUJP?=

CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Application
Hi,

I have a CanoScan 4200F that I'd like to use with the built-in Windows Vista
fax applet. Unfortunately, I can't scan directly to the applet because, while
Vista sees the scanner as an imaging device, the Vista Fax applet apparently
doesn't. At least, when I try to use it from within the application, the fax
applet says there is no scanner connected.

I have installed the latest drivers with the toolbox from Canon, and those
seem to work fine.

Any help is sure appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Application
If you have any earlier than VISTA software that works (from Canon?)
then try installing that.

With my very old HP SJ5P scsi connected scanner, I found like you that
VISTA detected it but I couldn't scan. I installed the older HP
Deskscan 2.9 software that uses TWAIN and now I scan as under XP and
W2K.

I've seen other references to using TWAIN.

Whether the built-in VISTA fax applet will work I can't say but it
looks as though it might not -- I just started Fax & Scan and it says
it can't find a scanner; but my HP software can. So you would have to
find third party fax software I guess.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9hZGN5Y2xl?=

RE: CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Application
I have the exact problem with my CanoScan L:iDE 500F. It scans fine but will
not work with Fax and Scan. I have to scan to a file then import it. Not a
very good way to do it.

Roadcycle

"MBO" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a CanoScan 4200F that I'd like to use with the built-in Windows Vista
> fax applet. Unfortunately, I can't scan directly to the applet because, while
> Vista sees the scanner as an imaging device, the Vista Fax applet apparently
> doesn't. At least, when I try to use it from within the application, the fax
> applet says there is no scanner connected.
>
> I have installed the latest drivers with the toolbox from Canon, and those
> seem to work fine.
>
> Any help is sure appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?TUJP?=

RE: CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Applicati
Hi everybody,

I found out that the drivers have to be WIA and not TWAIN for them to work
with the Fax and Scan applet that comes with Vista. I have some other
software by Smith Micro and will check that to see if it works.

There is a workaround. You can fix the image as a .JPG and then use that
through the applet, but it's obviously not the one we want.

Thanks for the replies.

MBO
=?Utf-8?B?ZGpnZWxsaW5n?=

"MBO" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I found out that the drivers have to be WIA and not TWAIN for them to work
> with the Fax and Scan applet that comes with Vista. I have some other
> software by Smith Micro and will check that to see if it works.
> MBO

I have a N670U that I could not get to work with Vista FAx and Scan I found
the WIA driver and now it works fine:
Driver located here: http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
=?Utf-8?B?ZGpnZWxsaW5n?=

RE: CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Applicati
However TWAIN driver is still needed for other apps.

So if I need the image in anyother app I still need to go back trough
Windows Scan and Fax.

Slightly unsatisfactory I think why does Microsoft want two differing driver
models here?? Why can't Fax and Scan use a TWAIN driver instead of the old
WIA??

Come on Bill get your act together!!
Ron Miller

djgelling wrote:

> "MBO" wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I found out that the drivers have to be WIA and not TWAIN for them to work
>> with the Fax and Scan applet that comes with Vista. I have some other
>> software by Smith Micro and will check that to see if it works.
>> MBO

> I have a N670U that I could not get to work with Vista FAx and Scan I found
> the WIA driver and now it works fine:
> Driver located here: http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

I've tried that link in both Firefox 2 and IE7. All I see is a Canon
logo and the test "Web Self Service System." The page is otherwise
blank. Can you check the link to see if it's complete as posted. If it
is, please explain how you searched to find it.

Ron
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: CanoScan 4200F not working with Vista's built-in Fax Applicati
When I had the problem on W2K that I referred to above, I disabled WIA
in the Services, then installed the scanner and TWAIN based software
and got the scanner working. But I am fairly sure that I then re-
enabled WIA and the scanner kept on working OK but other WIA
applications were able to as well.

However I did not use WIA deliberately for anything so far as I know
but I'm fairly sure I was able to scan from within applications when a
Scan entry went into their menus.

But it's all a while ago now -- worth trying perhaps?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpnZWxsaW5n?=

"Ron Miller" wrote:

> I've tried that link in both Firefox 2 and IE7. All I see is a Canon
> logo and the test "Web Self Service System." The page is otherwise
> blank. Can you check the link to see if it's complete as posted. If it
> is, please explain how you searched to find it.
>
> Ron

Try:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=30&Submit.y=4

and select "Driver/Software" from the LHS of the page.